Your recommendation for navigation?

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm curious what navigation app people are using. I've been trying to use here drive, but i'm fed up with it.

Today my phone continued to give me directions that had my son comment "Why are we driving around in circles?" I pulled over to look at the app and I could see that all I had to do was drive a little bit more and then take a left and my destination was straight ahead. I started to drive was ready to take a left where I could see my destination when my phone told me yet again to "take a right and then a right". My wife being an iPhone user told me "Ignore the stupid windows phone." It's hard to depend a phone that continues to give bad directions

bikertomk

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like Waze for the "social" features that enable users to instantly report road hazards, traffic, police, speed cameras, etc. It also does an excellent job of rerouting around traffic. I've learned a number of new alternate routes around typical bottlenecks that I never knew about until I started using Waze.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I recommend Waze as well. It's nice to have the app redirect me if the traffic gets bad or an accident happens. It also has search options with Google, yelp, and others so it really does have everything covered. The only thing missing is a satellite view but I use gmaps for that.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had similar frustrations and my wife is a little hesitant to switch to WP because of the issues I've had with Here maps. The interface is great but I don't trust it anymore.

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been staying away from waze just because I know google owns it now, and we all know that google doesn't support any of their services on WP. The waze app hasn't been updated 2/25/2014 and it probably wont be long before google just pulls the app from the windows phone store. But I suppose I could give it a try. It sure beats driving around in circles.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I hear ya about Waze; I was worried as well but it seems that the last update fixed the major bugs and it works well on my 1520.

I also wavered back and forth between Waze and Here+ but I was convinced when Waze took me around a traffic jam while Here+ directed me right into it. It's not Here+ fault, it just couldn't redirect me around a jam that popped up after I started it.

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I use Waze everyday. It's gotten me around numerous accidents and backups. I used to hate the fact that it didn't work in landscape mode, but now I'm used to it. Too bad Google will never update it.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Here+ for navigation. I also use twitter for up to the minute traffic info, have a couple of traffic centric feeds pinned.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have Here drive+ and Garmin installed... I use Here Drive+ the most. It works with Cortana so if tell it where I need to go, she opens Here Drive+....

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Waze is my primary app. Here Drive is my backup. Tried Mapquest and disliked it.

if there's an app someone should copy, its Waze. Waze on WP is so inferior compared to the IOS version. i would like to use a Waze alternative but couldn't find any(free) equivalent in WP app store. I think Here Drive should be overhauled so it has better user experience like Waze.

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have used Here+, Garmin Street Pilot, Co-Pilot, and Navigon. I like Here+, but it lacks is exit numbers. Doesn't have junction or exit view. These are important to me when traveling.

Garmin is great but it is a data hog as your device needs to connected to the network at all times, and doesn't give alternative route options. Garmin also can not be selected as your primary mapping software like the others can I WP. It is expensive, but has no in app purchases that are required and all maps are stored on the net and downloaded as needed. The software isn't updated as frequent as the others are.

Co-Pilot is nice but it doesn't provide speed limit notice when you are not on major highways and travel times are not accurate. Maps are updated quarterly, and you pay $9.99 a yr for real time traffic. Though when entering in an address you need to know the city, which could be a hassle, so you are better off asking Cortana and then she will open up Co-Pilot. Co-Pilot will remember your frequent routes by watching your driving habits so if you go different route than what is suggested it will remember it for the future.

Navigon's UI is very appealing in the 3D view The software provides everything the others don't or lack. It is the most expensive of the navigation apps in the market at nearly $50.00. You really need to get it when it is on sale for $37.99. Every 2 yrs you will need to renew the maps at a cost of $29.99. This provides the latest maps downloaded quarterly, and real time traffic. There is an in app purchase of $7.99 that provided 3D topography that makes the UI even more amazing; this 3D is on top of the 3D that comes with the app. I am currently using Navigon as it suits my needs the best.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've used Here Drive and Navmii.

Here Drive: good interface, easy to use, next road name is given ("Turn left into Vinceton Streen.") But voice is a bit disjointed at times in the UK, and Here maps are out of date by almost 2 years in some places.

Navmii: easy to use, Open Street Maps may be more up to date than Here Maps, clear voice. But interface takes getting used to.

I think I'll probably stick with Navmii for the foreseeable future unless Here Maps are updated.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Most often used for 2 years...CoPilot. It is also able to be opened by voice (CoPilot, take me home). Still use Here Drive, though. Both have off line maps.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm curious what navigation app people are using. I've been trying to use here drive, but i'm fed up with it.

Today my phone continued to give me directions that had my son comment "Why are we driving around in circles?" I pulled over to look at the app and I could see that all I had to do was drive a little bit more and then take a left and my destination was straight ahead. I started to drive was ready to take a left where I could see my destination when my phone told me yet again to "take a right and then a right". My wife being an iPhone user told me "Ignore the stupid windows phone." It's hard to depend a phone that continues to give bad directions

if you had an android device i'd have a slew of apps to recommend, with or without cellular data needed.

for windows it looks like the most up to the second, reliable, free app is waze.

i've watched an accident happen, a waze user pop up reporting it, and the map (redirecting also) all within less than a minute. google maps would be a close second for speed of updates, but i don't think you want to hear anything about google maps understandibly. here maps (a terrible name for an app) would be a 4th or 5th place, but i don't know of any fill ins.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I've used Co-Pilot for years now. I find it does what I want and the maps reside on my phone or SD card. You might give it a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99