Current 928 user...upgrade to Icon or wait?

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm upgrading the end of this month and have been looking into the Icon since I've wanted it since last year.

I love my 928 for its camera, but the screen has been cracked for a while, so I haven't really been using it much and have been waiting for my upgrade to get a new phone.

Things I care about most:
- Good camera (not selfie cam)
- Wireless charging

Things I don't use my phone for:
- Games

I've also had Preview for Devs for a while and noticed the Denim update on the phone whereas the Icon still has the Black update. Liking Denim so far, but I'm not one of those people who are super into having the latest OS, so I can probably wait it out.

I'm wondering how you're all still liking your Lumia Icons? :smile:

Also, will it be able to withstand another 2 year upgrade wait even though Icon was released in 2014?

Last edited:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you can edit for the update, and are ok with 8.0/Prev 8.1, and can find one at a local store, I say go for it. Love mine. Camera kicks ***. The only thing I can say bad is its wifi chip is weak. I've had a few replacements, and all of them showed weak signals where as my other phones had strong signals. Sometimes my other phones see networks the Icon does not unless closer to the source. Other than that, its a kick *** phone.

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I've upgraded from my 928 to the Icon a little after the Icon was released. And while I'm totally frustrated with VZW with the whole Denim debacle, I'm still holding on a little bit of hope that Denim will be released sometime soon.
I've only dropped my phone once, and while is has a cheap plastic case protector, it came out with no scratch or cracked screen. I think the phone is quite durable (at least in my experience). If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Icon over the 928 - the screen size is impressive as well as the camera. I just wished VZW will hurry up and release Denim already.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you can edit for the update, and are ok with 8.0/Prev 8.1, and can find one at a local store, I say go for it. Love mine. Camera kicks ***. The only thing I can say bad is its wifi chip is weak. I've had a few replacements, and all of them showed weak signals where as my other phones had strong signals. Sometimes my other phones see networks the Icon does not unless closer to the source. Other than that, its a kick *** phone.

I've upgraded from my 928 to the Icon a little after the Icon was released. And while I'm totally frustrated with VZW with the whole Denim debacle, I'm still holding on a little bit of hope that Denim will be released sometime soon.
I've only dropped my phone once, and while is has a cheap plastic case protector, it came out with no scratch or cracked screen. I think the phone is quite durable (at least in my experience). If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Icon over the 928 - the screen size is impressive as well as the camera. I just wished VZW will hurry up and release Denim already.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Do you guys notice any good or bad differences between the 928 and Icon cameras?

I'm not always on Wi-Fi with my phone since I always have my Surface Pro with me, so Wi-Fi might not be an issue. :)

I just don't want to regret getting the Icon if a W10 phone comes out.

But seeing as I've been happy with my 928 for 6+ months with a broken screen, I'm sure I'll be content with the Icon for a long time too.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is definitely better at low light/no flash or night shots with its wider aperture. The Icon blows it out of the water though for video. The Icon also saves DNGs if you're into further processing.

I use both regularly - Icon for a daily driver and my 928 for run tracking and music and other situations where I don't want to risk my Icon. Used the 928 on a fly-in fishing trip in northern Ontario this summer. Although no cell signal, GPS and Here Maps were awesome for basic navigation on the lake and the camera was by far the best out of a our group of 4 - including an older Fuji S5200 P&S dedicated camera that has served me well.

I think you'll be OK with the Icon. When Denim rolls out, it will still be a very good device for the coming year. In two years it will be an OK phone but will be showing some rough edges compared to the state of the art then. Have you considered getting your 928's screen repaired and waiting till summer or so to see what devices will becoming down the pike?

PhalanxPunx

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree with dkediger that the Icon will be a solid phone for a while with its beefy specs. The camera is phenomenal and with the promise of Windows Mobile 10 going to all current Lumia's I plan on holding on to mine for a while But if you can wait it out with a cracked screen it might behoove you to wait until the fall to see what the next flagship phone is from Microsoft.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is definitely better at low light/no flash or night shots with its wider aperture. The Icon blows it out of the water though for video. The Icon also saves DNGs if you're into further processing.

I use both regularly - Icon for a daily driver and my 928 for run tracking and music and other situations where I don't want to risk my Icon. Used the 928 on a fly-in fishing trip in northern Ontario this summer. Although no cell signal, GPS and Here Maps were awesome for basic navigation on the lake and the camera was by far the best out of a our group of 4 - including an older Fuji S5200 P&S dedicated camera that has served me well.

I think you'll be OK with the Icon. When Denim rolls out, it will still be a very good device for the coming year. In two years it will be an OK phone but will be showing some rough edges compared to the state of the art then. Have you considered getting your 928's screen repaired and waiting till summer or so to see what devices will becoming down the pike?

I'm not sure where I would be able to get it repaired.

I would repair it myself, but the last time I checked the screen prices last year, they were going around $100+.

It's pretty badly cracked to the point where the glass is falling off and the black screen is falling off, exposing blue and white parts underneath. It's more of a safety issue rather than aesthetic, now.

I agree with dkediger that the Icon will be a solid phone for a while with its beefy specs. The camera is phenomenal and with the promise of Windows Mobile 10 going to all current Lumia's I plan on holding on to mine for a while But if you can wait it out with a cracked screen it might behoove you to wait until the fall to see what the next flagship phone is from Microsoft.

If Windows Mobile 10 is going to be offered on all Lumia devices, then I'll be more than happy with the Icon to hold me off until I finish grad school next year and find a job. :D

I'm just not sure I can wait another few months for a phone upgrade when I've already waited 2 whole years. >.<~

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site

I would repair it myself, but the last time I checked the screen prices last year, they were going around $100+.

It's pretty badly cracked to the point where the glass is falling off and the black screen is falling off, exposing blue and white parts underneath. It's more of a safety issue rather than aesthetic, now.

If Windows Mobile 10 is going to be offered on all Lumia devices, then I'll be more than happy with the Icon to hold me off until I finish grad school next year and find a job. :D

I'm just not sure I can wait another few months for a phone upgrade when I've already waited 2 whole years. >.<~

For what it sounds like to me, go ahead and get the icon!

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the 928 and upgraded to the Icon. The Icon certainly trumps the 928 in every way, in my opinion.

Got bored after about 9 months and upgraded to the HTC M8, also a great phone. I get bored about once a year......

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Certainly get where you're coming from! I intend to keep my Icon well into WP10, hopefully into Spring/Summer of '16. Verizon could still throw us overboard with the Denim update, but assuming it does come, the camera will be even better.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Also, if you haven't handled an Icon before, it has a solid "dense" feel to it as opposed to the 928 that always felt a little light to me. That's why I like to use the 928 for running.

I use an Incipio Feather case on my Icon 90% of the time. It adds some extra size, but has kept it pristine for me.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
If you are committed to Verizon, and want a Windows phone, and are getting one on contract, I would not get an Icon. Either get a used Icon or get an HTC M8. The M8 is very nice and the camera, while not as good as the Icon, is decent. Also, any future upgrades for the Icon are suspect, while the HTC has 8.1 and is very fast and has better battery life than the Icon or 928. I would also say to look at all available phones on Verizon and see what Android has to offer.

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the 928 to the Icon last month. It is the bed decision that I have made. The camera is amazing compared to the 928. I truly enjoy the size of it. The only thing that I miss from my 928 is the glance screen as the Icon does not offer that feature. Other than that this was the best decision to upgrade from the 928.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I'm not at all convinced that the Denim update is going to get to the Icon. We've been jerked around for months now and Verizon along with Microsoft have been less than honest about the status of this phone. It's a fabulous piece of hardware but I'd wait until you know for sure that it's going to see that update.

Bryan M Davis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I got an Icon on Swappa a couple of weeks ago (for only $205). It is quite an upgrade from an 822. If Verizon isn't lying and it gets the Denim update than I think it will be a no-brainer of a decision. Do it.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 928 to the Icon. I'm not sure if it's entirely worth it. Battery life hasn't changed really, and the speakers are far worse than the 928. On the plus side, camera is better, and the screen is MUCH better. Honestly, I think I would wait if I were you. While I love the Icon, it isn't exactly the phone of my dreams

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dana, I also have Lumia 9xx and waiting for upgrade even though I'm sure for an upgrade. I want something better than current flagships as these are already 1 year old. By buying the next flagship you will have the benefit of an latest hardware which will be supported for atleast next 2 years. So, wait and buy the next good flagship. Personally I'm waiting for 1020 successor.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I just have to say, that the speakers on my Icon blow my aunt's 928 out of the water, so I think ajst222 is an isolated case. And since the Icon is on Verizon, I assume you are too, and I don't see VZW getting a flagship Lumia anytime soon. Possibly another OEM. But if u want a flagship Lumia to get you thru 2015, then get an Icon while you still can, as VZW stopped selling them online, and actual store inventory is limited.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I would. I had 928's for a while and upgraded to the Icon, It was worth it.
I have no desire to get a new phone anytime soon if they ever release Denim and WP10.
If no Denim, and WP10 has issues because of it, I will jump the VZW ship and run for the best provider I can find around that time.

VZW may be big, but even giants can become dinosaurs.
Sometimes too big a company becomes a failure at everything.
They may have good coverage, but when their support and CS starts lacking, the other shouldn't matter.

Continuing to support them means we are A-OK with that. Are You?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb