Current 928 user...upgrade to Icon or wait?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I use DP on mine. There is a wake delay of a couple of seconds when you are connected with WiFi that, as mentioned, is annoying.

The camera seems a tad slower with DP to me as well, but the rest of DP has been pure goodness.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys recommend getting DP for the Icon or leaving it at 8.0? D:

Yes, very much so. Best thing is charge it for a good couple ours till full.
do a full reset of the phone (from the reset in the phone, not the Recovery Tool), and do not restore any backups yet, leave it plugged in and make sure you have good WiFi connection.
Check for updates a couple of times to make sure you have any official updates that were released by VZW.

Then install DP App and enroll, check for updates till you see it and run it, when it's finished, do not restore anything
Check a few more times to make sure you have all the updates. Their may be more than one or 2. can't remember.
Reset the phone again, and then try the restore of apps, texts, etc.

That is what I did and I have 2 and neither one have the issues others complain about.
Also, I did it when DP was first released, the subsequent updates I just ran them, I did not do the resets etc.

I have the delay in starting the phone from when it sleeps for a while, not a big deal though.
It's not as horrible as people love to make it out to be.
There is no Glance, but I never saw the real need for Glance, it's a nice feature, but not a must have feature.
If I had it I might use it, but, 1.) at the time it didn't show enough info. 2.) the pictures were low grade garbage.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Weeks away from what may be a revealing look at planned hardware releases this year: I'm holding on to the Icon. The phone I'm waiting for: 1520 replacement running 10.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Got the Icon today. Loving it!

But I think the battery was tricking me because it was at 90%, so I did a reset and now that it's on the charging plate, it says its battery is low.

Never seen this happen before. How odd.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

But I think the battery was tricking me because it was at 90%, so I did a reset and now that it's on the charging plate, it says its battery is low.

I've seen resets do that to a battery. Let it charged all the way up and you should be fine.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Do not use the charging plate during the update, use a USB plugged into the wall, not a PC either.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Weeks away from what may be a revealing look at planned hardware releases this year: I'm holding on to the Icon. The phone I'm waiting for: 1520 replacement running 10.

That's what I'm waiting for as well! And Microsoft better cut it with the carrier exclusives.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you made a good move. I think that, even if a new flagship is announced, you'll be happy with the Icon for quote awhile. Unless you have to have the latest on Day 1, you can use the Icon for awhile and let flagship price come down a tad.
As long as the Icon's photos still rival the latest phones, I'll be happy. :3 I'm not much of a power phone user. Just your amateur photo taker. :D

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
As long as the Icon's photos still rival the latest phones, I'll be happy. :3 I'm not much of a power phone user. Just your amateur photo taker. :D

I'm sure it will. I'm about 3 days into my 930, and the picture quality is much better than I expected it to be. Then, when Denim comes, it will be even better.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
While the 928's camera is better than the Icon in low light, in virtually every other scenario I have found the icon's camera delivers much better results.

Overall the Icon is a large step up from the 928.

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it will. I'm about 3 days into my 930, and the picture quality is much better than I expected it to be. Then, when Denim comes, it will be even better.

I haven't taken enough pics with my Icon yet, but I'll definitely take more when my case and screen protectors come in. :)

And yayy. Can't wait for Denim! I finished putting DP 8.1 on my phone, so I'm happy Cortana is back. ^_^

What types of photos do you take? I can upload a few that I've taken with my Icon to show the picture quality.

I mostly take photos of architecture when I'm out in SF or LA. Lots of photos/videos of my rabbit when he's running around my apartment and he's quick, so I need something to keep up with him. The rest are the usual foodie pics. Not really into selfies, though. :)

Oh, and I take a lot of pictures of lecture slides and notes in class as well as textbook problems, so being able to capture text clearly is really important for me.

It's definitely fair to say that the Icon's photos are probably better than the latest phones

Yay, good to hear! My guy friends will like to test it out for group pics then. :D They were always so surprised with my 928's camera. :3

While the 928's camera is better than the Icon in low light, in virtually every other scenario I have found the icon's camera delivers much better results.

Overall the Icon is a large step up from the 928.

Nice! I'll be taking them both for test runs when I get my case and screen protector for the Icon. :)

Did some text photo comparisons of my Surface and they both look pretty good. Need to adjust the Icon's settings from stock.

Icon

929.jpg

928.jpg

RIP my awesome 928! You survived concrete 3 times, but you met your match with a wooden floor. >.<~

rip928.PNG

Last edited:

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
The camera is awesome on the Icon, but the thing I love most is the camera does both JPEG & RAW format, so when you export your photos you can edit them in Photoshop or Lightroom. Granted it's not as good as a decent DSLR, but for a on-the-go camera and the capability of editing RAW format, it's a win-win for me.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
There is a "post your pics" thread in the 930 forum. Take a look at those - there are some pretty awesome pics in that one.

Last edited:

DanaOira

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
The camera is awesome on the Icon, but the thing I love most is the camera does both JPEG & RAW format, so when you export your photos you can edit them in Photoshop or Lightroom. Granted it's not as good as a decent DSLR, but for a on-the-go camera and the capability of editing RAW format, it's a win-win for me.

I'll definitely look into that. I wanted to get more serious with my photo taking once I got the Icon. Play around a bit with the photo settings before moving up to DSLR. :)

There is a "post your pics" thread in the 930 forum. Take a look at those - there are some pretty awesome pics in that one.

Thanks, Gordon! I'll check it out. :D

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll definitely look into that. I wanted to get more serious with my photo taking once I got the Icon. Play around a bit with the photo settings before moving up to DSLR. :)

As someone who is actually a(n amateur) photographer, I can really appreciate the Icon's camera, and the ability to shoot in RAW is awesome. I honestly don't think I could go onto a non Lumia smartphone because I've been so spoiled with the cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077