@hawwie_4
If you had two step authentication with your phone set up
Its possible someone tried to login to your account
Just change the pass and you'll be set.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia Icon Virus Warning

Help! MSN sports brought me to this website for an article, while reading a popup on my phone said "warning your phone has a virus" my browser opened another tab and brought me to this thing for the Google play store. Does my phone have malware on it? If so how can I check if I do and remove the malware?

Did it look like this? If so, ignore it. It's annoying, but harmless.

wp_ss_20150112_0001.jpg

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Help! MSN sports brought me to this website for an article, while reading a popup on my phone said "warning your phone has a virus" my browser opened another tab and brought me to this thing for the Google play store. Does my phone have malware on it? If so how can I check if I do and remove the malware?

It's just an advertisement designed to provoke you into buying their product... just like how tv ads tell you how fat, how malnourished or how poor you are. Just ignore the ad and be at peace in knowing that there are no known viruses for Windows Phones. Besides, only a sophisticated anti-virus software can detect viruses remotely... not some sports webpage.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Another reason why I'm staying away from Android and will only go to iOS if I really really really have to ;)

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I came across the same situation on my Lumia 928. I was on the Facebook app and clicked an article which opened in IE. While reading the article, a banner that is native to the WP OS popped up warning me of malware/virus. It's actually concerning because it does not look like an ad on the webpage, it's actually a black banner similar to how Cortana notifies you of a calendar event!
That's a JavaScript popup. It appears native to any platform.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's called scareware, it's why there are botnets in the 10's of millions in western countries. People get all this tech and have no idea how it works, they will believe anything that pops up that looks remotely like they should believe it (and by remotely I mean, not even close to remotely, but you know, all pop ups look the same).

It is the BEST tool for hackers to get machines infected and the BEST way for pen testers to successfully get into secure networks. Never click the X on those in a browser, it's just a link to install, right click on the task bar and chose to close the open window that is supporting it.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

As a web developer I can reproduce that exact thing in less than a minute. It would take longer to type all of that, then to actually make it show up like that. In javascript there is a command called alert(message); The variable message contains that text and it will show up EXACTLY like that (because that's probably exactly what caused that in the first place).

Did it look like this? If so, ignore it. It's annoying, but harmless.

View attachment 93650

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6