Does my phone have malware on it?

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Lumia Icon Virus Warning

Help! MSN sports brought me to this website for an article, while reading a popup on my phone said "warning your phone has a virus" my browser opened another tab and brought me to this thing for the Google play store. Does my phone have malware on it? If so how can I check if I do and remove the malware?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lumia Icon Virus Warning

Help! MSN sports brought me to this website for an article, while reading a popup on my phone said "warning your phone has a virus" my browser opened another tab and brought me to this thing for the Google play store. Does my phone have malware on it? If so how can I check if I do and remove the malware?

You can't get malware from the web on a windows phone. What you got is a popup scare tactic and browser redirect to buy some android software off the google play store, nothing more.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

It's scareware meant to frighten you into buying/installing something that may or may not be a legitimate antivirus app. The fact that it led to Google Play makes it all the more ridiculous as it's clearly targeted to Android (which counts for the majority of mobile users), not WP.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Lol I think I know what it is. If you were using Internet Explorer than the site though your phone was an Android. And the pop up message was probably an ad. The ad was a trap, it was just trying to make you think that your phone was infected and then offered an app to "fix" your phone from this "virus".

That's what I think happened.

Last edited:

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I came across the same situation on my Lumia 928. I was on the Facebook app and clicked an article which opened in IE. While reading the article, a banner that is native to the WP OS popped up warning me of malware/virus. It's actually concerning because it does not look like an ad on the webpage, it's actually a black banner similar to how Cortana notifies you of a calendar event!

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The ridiculous malware advertisement has happened to me many, many times. Never cared to open it and see where it would direct. And still after 1,6 year my L920 is in great form.

Relax and keep playing with your wp.

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

It was a link to windows phone.com about why they send text messages. I think its because I changed some sync settings for all my devices.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

I came across the same situation on my Lumia 928. I was on the Facebook app and clicked an article which opened in IE. While reading the article, a banner that is native to the WP OS popped up warning me of malware/virus. It's actually concerning because it does not look like an ad on the webpage, it's actually a black banner similar to how Cortana notifies you of a calendar event!

Did like these have been around sine the Windows XP days. Remember how windows XP pop ups were? There were people that made ads that looked like the XP pop up window. Even with Facebook, there are some scams ads saying "you have a new friend request". Just don't ever click these stuff. Most of the time they're malware and viruses.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
While reading the article, a banner that is native to the WP OS popped up warning me of malware/virus. It's actually concerning because it does not look like an ad on the webpage, it's actually a black banner similar to how Cortana notifies you of a calendar event!

I'm no developer or anything but the banner appearance is probably just how WP displays pop-ups/notifications.

I've seen pictures of fake "Your computer is infected!" pop-ups before. The funniest example looked very fake because the content looked like it was designed for Windows XP, only it was showing on a Mac with native Mac window borders and controls.

My point is, the ad content can come from anywhere but it's your operating system that chooses how to display it. In your case the black banner is equivalent to window borders and window controls on a desktop. Am I making sense?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium