02-07-2015 08:24 AM
129 1234 ...
tools
    I solved my Lumia Icon wait for Denim frustration by getting a Motorola Droid Turbo and joining the Waiting for Lollipop Update line! Same crap on alternative devices when you have a Verizon linked phone!
    I got my dad a Moto X and it updated to Lollipop while we were still in the store, pretty cool.
    01-21-2015 01:48 PM
    That's for the Moto X 2014. The Moto X 2013 is still waiting.
    01-21-2015 03:09 PM
    I see what you did there....
    01-21-2015 08:38 PM
    any fellow cynics expect a windows 10 insider/DP before we get Denim?
    Lumiaddict likes this.
    01-22-2015 12:13 PM
    any fellow cynics expect a windows 10 insider/DP before we get Denim?
    It'll be close. I'll tell you this, though...I'm in no big hurry to install Windows 10 just yet especially if we don't have Denim. A bit too risky with such an early build.
    01-22-2015 03:17 PM
    It'll be close. I'll tell you this, though...I'm in no big hurry to install Windows 10 just yet especially if we don't have Denim. A bit too risky with such an early build.
    I feel the same I'm a little cautious using WP10 with year old firmware as my everyday phone especially since I just started a new semester at college and I depend on my phone a lot especially the calendar to keep track of upcoming exams/assignments, I don't need my phone flaking out I got enough other things to worry about

hopefully we will get Denim before the WP10 DP but unfortunately the last year dealing with Verizon and the Icon gives me little hope we will be getting Denim anytime soon
    01-22-2015 04:21 PM
    From what I gathered from the presentation yesterday, Verizon WP's will have to get 8.1 before going to W10. They specifically stated that W10 will come to WP8.1 devices only. Nothing was mentioned about WP8 devices getting the upgrade to W10.
    01-22-2015 04:29 PM
    01-22-2015 07:14 PM
    "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is coming in February"
    01-24-2015 12:14 AM
    "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is coming in February"
    Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones still due in February | Windows Central
    miketworld929 likes this.
    01-24-2015 10:31 AM
    Cool so the technical preview drops in February then should be official by the summer.
    01-24-2015 11:42 AM
    Note how that was worded....Can get Windows 10, not WILL get Windows 10. Big difference.

Cool so the technical preview drops in February then should be official by the summer.
    Now if Verizon Wireless actually updates the ICON to the official Windows 10 is a WHOLE different story. They could pull the "discontinued phone, no more support" crap....

With the hassle of getting #Cyan or even #Denim, does anyone here actually think that Verizon will release Windows 10 for the ICON now that it's no longer available from Verizon for a long time now ?

Let's just say, I would not hold my breath for it...
    01-24-2015 12:18 PM
    Note how that was worded....Can get Windows 10, not WILL get Windows 10. Big difference.

Now if Verizon Wireless actually updates the ICON to the official Windows 10 is a WHOLE different story. They could pull the "discontinued phone, no more support" crap....

With the hassle of getting #Cyan or even #Denim, does anyone here actually think that Verizon will release Windows 10 for the ICON now that it's no longer available from Verizon for a long time now ?

Let's just say, I would not hold my breath for it...
    we will be lucky to get Denim, getting WP 10 from Verizon seems to be a "when Hell freezes over" possibility

assuming we do eventually get Denim afterword I expect zero support from VZ for the Icon
    01-24-2015 01:15 PM
    we will be lucky to get Denim, getting WP 10 from Verizon seems to be a "when Hell freezes over" possibility

assuming we do eventually get Denim afterword I expect zero support from VZ for the Icon
    Just like 8.1, all phones will at least get the WP 10 preview or insiders or whatever they will call it, it's up to the carriers to send out the official version. So i would be happy staying on the preview until the next Verizon flagship phone comes out. I know people will laugh at that but i foresee a Microsoft branded WP sometime this year from Verizon.

I can dream anyway...
    miketworld929 likes this.
    01-24-2015 05:07 PM
    VZW Support just told me that Denim for the Icon has been delayed due to problems found in testing. Here is an excerpt from my chat transcript.
    Will: Still digging - so far, the info I'm seeing shows me January 2015, I'm seeing if I can find something more specific, so thank you for hanging in there!
    Visitor: thanks. I can wait.
    Will: Thank you so much - I'm still digging, haven't left you!
    Visitor: no problem
    Will: What I'm finding is, you're not alone in this...I'm just looking for a status from that team that releases the updates...
    Visitor: thanks
    Will: You're welcome. Almost done...
    Will: Okay, so I did locate something - there's a canned statement, but honestly, I'm not going to give you that, because (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't strike me as the kind of person who wants a copy/paste answer, so here's what I can say:
    Will: There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished. The idea here is that we want to make sure a working software is released, not anything that's going to cause problems for you.
    Visitor: ok
    Visitor: is that all the info you can find then?
    Visitor: they don't have estimated new date?
    Visitor: just that its "postponed"?
    Will: They do not - I promise, if there were I would definitely have provided it for you.
    TheZuneLune and DTPhoto like this.
    01-27-2015 11:17 AM
    VZW Support just told me that Denim for the Icon has been delayed due to problems found in testing. Here is an excerpt from my chat transcript.
    thanks for the post but imho I wouldn't put allot of stock in any info from VZ support/chat reps

in my dealings with VZ support you can count on them to know nothing and to be told nothing, they probably have some script they are reading off of that has canned answers to any customer Icon inquiries
    DavidinCT likes this.
    01-27-2015 11:59 AM
    " There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished." Sounds almost exactly what we heard about 2 months ago. Personally just hoping that he was reading an old statement.
    SomeCallMeTom likes this.
    01-27-2015 01:17 PM
    ZERO weight should be put into this.

VZW reps have no more info than we do and will tell you anything just to get rid of you.
    01-27-2015 01:47 PM
    I understand the point and myself don't really like to listen to or believe what they (referring to the sales reps) have to say. But in this case haven't they been pretty much right on every account? I haven't been keeping score, but it seems like every instance has turned out to be true...
    This is starting to get old, and I myself think it may be time to let the Icon go. The software seems to run fine, but if VZW keeps finding something that they don't like then they will keep pulling the plug, or keep holding off.
    01-27-2015 01:53 PM
    I understand that reaction, but honestly, this guy seemed to be genuinely interested in finding out as much as he could for me. And lets face it, we aren't going to be getting Denim in Jan 2015, so it probably is true.
    01-27-2015 02:12 PM
    Will: Okay, so I did locate something - there's a canned statement, but honestly, I'm not going to give you that, because (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't strike me as the kind of person who wants a copy/paste answer, so here's what I can say:
    Will: There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished. The idea here is that we want to make sure a working software is released, not anything that's going to cause problems for you.
    He says he's not going to give you the canned answer because you're too smart for that, and then gives you the canned answer anyways.

I wouldn't put any stock in this...
    DTPhoto likes this.
    01-27-2015 02:31 PM
    Yeah, I get that. But the reality is, we are not going to see Denim in Jan 2015. And since Cyan for Icon died on the vine for the same reason, I think it's likely true, even if it is canned. And if Denim is being held up because it failed compatibility testing with Verizon bloat-ware, then we may never see it for the Icon, because Verizon has zero motivation to update its Windows Phone apps just to support Lumia owners (since they no longer sell any Lummia phones).
    01-27-2015 02:36 PM
    Yeah, I get that. But the reality is, we are not going to see Denim in Jan 2015. And since Cyan for Icon died on the vine for the same reason, I think it's likely true, even if it is canned. And if Denim is being held up because it failed compatibility testing with Verizon bloat-ware, then we may never see it for the Icon, because Verizon has zero motivation to update its Windows Phone apps just to support Lumia owners (since they no longer sell any Lummia phones).
    we have no idea why Cyan was never released, we never got any official reason why and we never will

the compatibility with VZ bloatware reason is wearing pretty thin as the months and months go by imho and I agree it seems more likely as we come up on the full calendar year anniversary since the Icon was released to be a complete lack of motivation on Verizon's part to support the Lumia phone line or WP in any way
    01-27-2015 03:47 PM
    It seems like "robbing Peter to pay Paul"...we're too late to release Cyan because Denim is coming. Oh, now that Win10 is coming, let's skip Denim and wait for testing on Win10! Oh, the user base is too low to support further development and testing, so you'll have to upgrade to the next phone...which happens not to be Windows based (or higher profit margin)!
    01-27-2015 07:04 PM
    i always though early2015 meant by June 29
    01-27-2015 11:08 PM
129 1234 ...