Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
VZW Support just told me that Denim for the Icon has been delayed due to problems found in testing. Here is an excerpt from my chat transcript.

thanks for the post but imho I wouldn't put allot of stock in any info from VZ support/chat reps

in my dealings with VZ support you can count on them to know nothing and to be told nothing, they probably have some script they are reading off of that has canned answers to any customer Icon inquiries

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
" There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished." Sounds almost exactly what we heard about 2 months ago. Personally just hoping that he was reading an old statement.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I understand the point and myself don't really like to listen to or believe what they (referring to the sales reps) have to say. But in this case haven't they been pretty much right on every account? I haven't been keeping score, but it seems like every instance has turned out to be true...
This is starting to get old, and I myself think it may be time to let the Icon go. The software seems to run fine, but if VZW keeps finding something that they don't like then they will keep pulling the plug, or keep holding off.

ericgrover

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I understand that reaction, but honestly, this guy seemed to be genuinely interested in finding out as much as he could for me. And lets face it, we aren't going to be getting Denim in Jan 2015, so it probably is true.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
VZW Chat said:
Will: Okay, so I did locate something - there's a canned statement, but honestly, I'm not going to give you that, because (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't strike me as the kind of person who wants a copy/paste answer, so here's what I can say:
Will: There were issues identified during testing, resulting in postponing the release. Due to those issues, there isn't a release date that can be given until testing is finished. The idea here is that we want to make sure a working software is released, not anything that's going to cause problems for you.

He says he's not going to give you the canned answer because you're too smart for that, and then gives you the canned answer anyways.

I wouldn't put any stock in this...

ericgrover

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I get that. But the reality is, we are not going to see Denim in Jan 2015. And since Cyan for Icon died on the vine for the same reason, I think it's likely true, even if it is canned. And if Denim is being held up because it failed compatibility testing with Verizon bloat-ware, then we may never see it for the Icon, because Verizon has zero motivation to update its Windows Phone apps just to support Lumia owners (since they no longer sell any Lummia phones).

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I get that. But the reality is, we are not going to see Denim in Jan 2015. And since Cyan for Icon died on the vine for the same reason, I think it's likely true, even if it is canned. And if Denim is being held up because it failed compatibility testing with Verizon bloat-ware, then we may never see it for the Icon, because Verizon has zero motivation to update its Windows Phone apps just to support Lumia owners (since they no longer sell any Lummia phones).

we have no idea why Cyan was never released, we never got any official reason why and we never will

the compatibility with VZ bloatware reason is wearing pretty thin as the months and months go by imho and I agree it seems more likely as we come up on the full calendar year anniversary since the Icon was released to be a complete lack of motivation on Verizon's part to support the Lumia phone line or WP in any way

DTPhoto

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems like "robbing Peter to pay Paul"...we're too late to release Cyan because Denim is coming. Oh, now that Win10 is coming, let's skip Denim and wait for testing on Win10! Oh, the user base is too low to support further development and testing, so you'll have to upgrade to the next phone...which happens not to be Windows based (or higher profit margin)!

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't supposed to be that way..thats only because they've dragged their butts for so long on the Cyan update. But yeah I pop in from time to time to see whats going on with the update...just making sure I didnt miss anything.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't supposed to be that way..thats only because they've dragged their butts for so long on the Cyan update. But yeah I pop in from time to time to see whats going on with the update...just making sure I didnt miss anything.

pop back in at 6 months, we will probably still be the only flagship windows phone in the entire world still on 8.0/black :unhappy:

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
What really gets to me is as someone on the DP, i really don't mind the wait for Denim. But then i think about those who are still on 8.0 black, and my heart is just crushed...

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Does the fact that VZW doesn't even offer the Lumia Icon any longer mean they'll stop supporting it with OS updates? Will using the developers preview be the only way to get Win10?
I'm giving MSFT one last chance. They have until the iPhone 6s comes out to wow me again or I'm gone for good!
I would suggest that if they don't do something BIG by then, THEY'LL be gone as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo