Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I pretty much expected it anyways. The business world i work in early 2015 generally means sometime in the first quarter which is jan-march.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Does not mean much to me at this point. The rumors were (from people CLAIMED Vzw employees) in December, then we get Early 2015, Now because of an issue found, now we are hearing Feburary.

I call BS till we set it, Ya, know, who knows if there will be another issue found in Feb that delayes it till March and so on and so on....

Still standing by the point that I think we will see Windows 10 before Denim and there is rumor that you need at least the offical 8.1/Cyan to install Windows 10...

So, that means, No Denim and No WIndows 10, just because your a Verizon customer...

Of course I could be completely wrong and I hope I am here on this but, the way trends are going on this phone, I would not rule it out..

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
why are you folks saying that MS is the problem, and you'll leave for Android or iPhone?

Is VZW not the problem? Hasn't Denim gone out for others? I have it, but I'm not on VZW.

I think your anger is misdirected.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
This may be on VZW and it might be on MSFT with bad hardware. Since nobody is saying, there's no way to tell.

Who am I pissed at? Everyone...not for the delay, but for the lack of real information.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Who is saying that there is a hardware flaw with the Icon? IF it is a hardware problem, then what hardware in particular is the problem? The camera, the speakers, the main chip... which?
As far as who is on the hook to get the update out. That would be Verizon, it's pretty straight forward. If Verizon finds issues with the OS/firmware combination, then it has the right (and the obligation) to not update the phones and to inform Microsoft to make the fixes. Verizon doesn't have the authority to fiddle with the OS/firmware since they don't own it.

If the issue is specifically with the firmware, and I expect that was the case with Cyan, then Microsoft has to send the problem to the ACTUAL hardware maker to fix (i.e. Qualcomm for the main chip). Microsoft isn't allowed to fiddle with the firmware of the main chip (which is where I think everybody is saying this whole ALLEGED hardware flaw is located).

I don't think there is a hardware flaw. If was truly hardware, then why is it working just fine under WP8.0/Black?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Who's saying? Nobody! It's pure conjecture on my part but nobody is denying it, either.

But what is different about the Icon than every other phone that has gotten Cyan and now Denim? Don't forget, this phone was delayed for months and then completely pulled after only 7 months. All I'm saying is that it's not out of the question that there's a hardware issue being exposed by the new firmware.

VZW sucks. We all know that. But this has gone beyond the usual delays and let's face it, they have nothing to gain by holding up a firmware release for no reason.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Who's saying? Nobody! It's pure conjecture on my part but nobody is denying it, either.

But what is different about the Icon than every other phone that has gotten Cyan and now Denim? Don't forget, this phone was delayed for months and then completely pulled after only 7 months. All I'm saying is that it's not out of the question that there's a hardware issue being exposed by the new firmware.

VZW sucks. We all know that. But this has gone beyond the usual delays and let's face it, they have nothing to gain by holding up a firmware release for no reason.

I don't know about a hardware issue. Nothing has been stated at all.

But, there are plenty of reasons to pull a phone off the shelves and hold back a firmware update besides any hardware issues (which could be a reason)

2.) not selling well and not wanting to waste time and money on it

3.) having animosity against the OS manufacturer and designer

4.) and a big one: The device actually is TOO good and updating the firmware that makes it even better will result in potentially longer use, resulting in the fact that people will not buy the next one that comes out, because it may or may not exceed the previous one, loss of sales.

Why buy a new phone when this one meets or exceeds my needs and may last me 5 years?
Fear of that by these companies is a great motivator to stifle that type of device.

I have zero issues with my Icon, and if it can get Denim and Win10 and potentially the next OS update.
Verizon won't be selling my wife and I a new phone for a really long time. Trust me, they really hate that idea.

They love love love Android and iPhone, because regardless of the device, if it's new and shiny and better specs, insuring better performance (cause face it, Androids performance sucks), or has the Bite out of the Apple Logo (think Adam and Eve), the masses will flock to it, whether they truly need to or not.

Lemmings we are not.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
2.) not selling well and not wanting to waste time and money on it

3.) having animosity against the OS manufacturer and designer

looking for the reasons of why we have been waiting so long for an update read above, imho The Mystery of the Long Delayed Update for the Icon has been solved

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the Icon hardware is flawed, why is it running on 930's?

I think it's VZW. Why is it VZW, I can't answer. Doesn't VZW usually lag other platform upgrades as well?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
4.) and a big one: The device actually is TOO good and updating the firmware that makes it even better will result in potentially longer use, resulting in the fact that people will not buy the next one that comes out, because it may or may not exceed the previous one, loss of sales.

Tepid brought up a good point. The Icon is a very good phone. It's the perfect size screen wise, it got really good specs (even by new Android and iPhone standards), and the improvements from Denim will let us take advantage of those specs. Now, does that mean that is the reason why Verizon is withholding an update? Probably not. The increased revenue (if any) wouldn't be enough to worry about it. Also, the carriers don't make a lot of money off of the devices themselves. Most of their profits come from selling data plans. It costs the same to get the 8GB data plan for an Icon as it does for an iPhone 6.

I wonder if the Icon hardware is flawed, why is it running on 930's?

The 930's Snapdragon 800 is missing CDMA (or it's not enabled). The Icon's Snapdragon 800 has CDMA in addition to the LTE, GSM, Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi.

Is there a hardware flaw? No, I don't think so. What I do think is that Qualcomm is having a harder time getting the firmware working to Verizon's satisfaction. System on a Chip architecture is not as simple to work with as many of us think.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
It's not a good point. It's a conspiracy theory.

The number of Icon owners is miniscule. We don't even register a blip on the radar. To think otherwise is laughable.

Your final point is exactly what I brought up and you called me on...a hardware issue that was brought out by the new firmware.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Vzw's has three stock apps were not playing well with Cyan. So they rejected the updated and demanded MS fix Cyan so they would work with the Vzw apps.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's not a good point. It's a conspiracy theory.

If you read my full response you would see that I said that. It's about selling data packages not devices. A data package from Verizon costs the same regardless of the device you're using.

The only thing that flagship phones do for the carriers are to attract new customers. Not from current customers, but from people moving from another carrier and to a much lesser extent, people getting their first smart phones. Just watch the commercials for Verizon and AT&T they are both fighting for new customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs