Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows Central has been able to confirm independently through sources that this is indeed the holdup for Lumia Cyan on Verizon.

cool, it's your choice to believe if it is conjecture or not

I always believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the Icon hardware is flawed, why is it running on 930's?

I think it's VZW. Why is it VZW, I can't answer. Doesn't VZW usually lag other platform upgrades as well?

EXACTLY, would it be an issue with the CDMA radio in it ? I would bet not, I bet it's bug with their crappy apps that Verizon refuses to update...

Not sure what to claim here, Hardware? Doubt it, Software ? it runs on the 930 fine, so where is the bug ? Only thing it could be is Verizon's crappy apps that I don't even have installed. Can anyone see anything else that it actually could be ?

If it's a bug with their apps, and I don't have them even installed, Can I get it sooner ? PLEASE ?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Conjecture about the apps

You're right, it really is conjecture.

Windows Central has been able to confirm independently through sources that this is indeed the holdup for Lumia Cyan on Verizon.

cool, it's your choice to believe if it is conjecture or not

I always believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions

The information is third hand at best. Here's the entire article. Joe's tweet said that VZW is taking quality seriously, there is no implication that it is VZW apps compatibility... or the lack of.

Verizon Lumia Cyan update reverts to 'Under Development' as delay continues | Windows Central

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know for fact, not going to pretend I do.
If carriers make no money (or very very little), then why pull it from stock?
That makes little sense at all. Weather it sells well or not.
I see phones there that I am quite sure sell next to nothing in numbers, far far less than Icon.

More than likely it is VZW's own garbage apps that very very very few people use.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You're right, it really is conjecture.

The information is third hand at best. Here's the entire article. Joe's tweet said that VZW is taking quality seriously, there is no implication that it is VZW apps compatibility... or the lack of.

Verizon Lumia Cyan update reverts to 'Under Development' as delay continues | Windows Central

Directly above Joe's tweet is where Rubino says Windows Central has independently confirmed that is indeed the apps.

If Rubino says he's independently confirmed something, I'm going to put a good amount of faith in that....a lot more than a forum poster that claims to work for Verizon.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Yet those apps work fine (well, within the confines of crappy worthless apps) on every other device. Sorry, not buying it.

Seems when the problems started VZW pulled the phone. Something is up with this device and yes, my guess that it's hardware related is admittedly conjecture as well.

As for the apps being independently confirmed as the cause, why can't the current hold up be independently checked as well. I think perhaps, Daniel was sold a bill of goods on the apps. I don't blame him if he trusted the source but it just doesn't make any sense.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yet those apps work fine (well, within the confines of crappy worthless apps) on every other device. Sorry, not buying it.

Seems when the problems started VZW pulled the phone. Something is up with this device and yes, my guess that it's hardware related is admittedly conjecture as well.

As for the apps being independently confirmed as the cause, why can't the current hold up be independently checked as well. I think perhaps, Daniel was sold a bill of goods on the apps. I don't blame him if he trusted the source but it just doesn't make any sense.

There is no conjecture. What I referenced is exactly what was presented on this website. Now, you can take or leave it; believe me or not. But don't comment on here as though I was just spouting something. I didn't make it up.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is no conjecture. What I referenced is exactly what was presented on this website. Now, you can take or leave it; believe me or not. But don't comment on here as though I was just spouting something. I didn't make it up.

Nobody is saying you made it up. We all read the article. The article itself is conjecture. It is based on a single source of information with no other independent source that corroborates the information. The author of the article says that WPCentral as confirmed through independent sources. Who were those sources? Are they truly independent? Joe's tweet does NOT confirm anything; nor does it imply anything.

grafixguy#AC is right in that it doesn't make sense. If there is a problem with certain apps not working with WP8.1 then it is on Verizon to fix its own apps. You tailor the apps to the OS not the other way around. If it is a firmware problem causing the hardware to not behave to Verizon's satisfaction, then THAT is an entirely different story and that makes sense.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Nobody is saying you made it up. We all read the article. The article itself is conjecture. It is based on a single source of information with no other independent source that corroborates the information. The author of the article says that WPCentral as confirmed through independent sources. Who were those sources? Are they truly independent? Joe's tweet does NOT confirm anything; nor does it imply anything.

​With no other independent source - the author says it's confirmed through independent sources...which is it?

​The author of that article is the editor-in-chief of this very website, and has built up a reputation for himself as a fairly trustworthy person. That's why I'm here instead of wmpoweruser or another site. I trust the news I get here. He's not using Joe's tweet as confirmation, just as perhaps further evidence.

If the New York Times (or another newspaper if you're against the Times) mentions they've confirmed something using independent sources, we trust them, due to their reputation and our experience in trusting their sources in the past. The same applies here. Rubino's got a good track record...good enough to where I trust him.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
We don't know who the source was and Daniel, rightfully so, isn't saying. I believe Daniel believed it.

But ask yourself this...if this source knew so much, why hasn't this source been quoted since? Why haven't we heard anything else about it?

As for the source working for VZW, we don't know that. All we know is that it's an independent source. We've had a couple of posters claiming to be VZW employees; the first guy claimed we were getting Cyan any minute and that was in October. He's disappeared from this site.

Now we have another one talking about a February rollout. Any of us could make that prediction today.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
We don't know who the source was and Daniel, rightfully so, isn't saying. I believe Daniel believed it.

But ask yourself this...if this source knew so much, why hasn't this source been quoted since? Why haven't we heard anything else about it?

As for the source working for VZW, we don't know that. All we know is that it's an independent source. We've had a couple of posters claiming to be VZW employees; the first guy claimed we were getting Cyan any minute and that was in October. He's disappeared from this site.

Now we have another one talking about a February rollout. Any of us could make that prediction today.

Daniel Rubino was told that the reason for the delay was compatibility problems with Verizon's apps. Verizon Lumia Cyan update reverts to 'Under Development' as delay continues | Windows Central

We don't know who told him that. But based on that article, it looks like it was Microsoft. Conjecture, but looks likely.

The poster you're referring to is Tcman88. Yes, he does (or at least did) work for Verizon. He's proved it numerous times before. At the launch of the 928, he even helped posters on wpcentral by tracking down which stores had stock through the internal system. The fact that he thought that Cyan was going out probably means that Cyan was supposed to roll out, but was cancelled at the last minute. That makes it all the more infuriating.

And for the record, if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't want to come back here if I was treated the way he was after Verizon ended up not rolling it out.

Another one talking about a February rollout? Do you mean Joe Belfiore? The Corporate VP of Operating Systems at Microsoft? Seriously, man?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
My only point is and has been is that there is no public explanation of what is going on here...NONE. ZIP. NADA. For whatever reason, nobody's coming clean with Icon owners.

Everything that's been delivered here is either unconfirmed or utter nonsense. Let me spell this out for you one more time. I am not questioning Daniel, but I am questioning the cause of this delay. You cannot come close to making me believe those apps were the cause when every other VZW device has been updated.

It is this device that is an issue in my mind. The fact that it took months to give up on Cyan and now months to even talk about Denim with the acknowledged possibility from JB himself that March is not out of the question leaves me with big time doubts about whether this device will ever see an update.

JB is doing what he can but his hands are tied and I sense that his tweets were nothing more than an attempt to appease some of us for a few more weeks.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
not questioning Daniel but you don't believe a story he has said he has independently verified with other sources?

I agree the whole app excuse is weak and gets weaker as the months drag on but that is the only excuse we have independently confirmed by Daniel at this point and I choose to trust a guy that works a WP site 24/7 so I have to go with it

I am going to put it out there right now we will never get the whole real truth of why we have had to wait 8+ months for an update for the Icon because this is the way Verizon does business, they have delayed numerous droid updates before without a word of explanation why

When and if we eventually get Denim I would hope people who have gone through this whole Icon fiasco remember how Verizon treated them and they would take some time to think it over before signing a new 2 year contract with Verizon

Last edited:

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
not questioning Daniel but you don't believe a story he has said he has independently verified with other sources?

Again, I believe Daniel believed it and I even believe the source believed it, but somewhere along the line, somebody was fed a load of crap. There's just no way this is the case. If Microsoft can write an app for Facebook among others, they certainly could have fixed those apps for VZW if they were indeed the problem. They could have been re-written from the ground up in the time we've been waiting.

And I agree with you that we will never know the truth.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When and if we eventually get Denim I would hope people who have gone through this whole Icon fiasco remember how Verizon treated them and they would take some time to think it over before signing a new 2 year contract with Verizon

Isn't Verizon the only US carrier to provide Denim at the moment?

Either way, a device should be purchased based on what it is, not on what it will become.

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I am sure that others would agree with me on this, but the whole Denim not yet being rolled out to the Icon issue would not be as big of a deal if we all had Cyan (or somehow WP8.1). If I am not mistaken this is the only windows phone of this caliber (flagship?) in the world that does not have WP8.1. The Icon owners are waiting in order to catch up with the rest of the Windows Phone users everywhere when it comes to the phone's OS.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, by that logic we should just give up on us carriers altogether.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Verizon is getting all the hate when they have released Denim for two of their phones; 822 & 928. AT&T hasn't released Denim on any of their variants and no one is crucifying them. Not saying Verizon is great but just saying AT&T is no angel either.

I have the best high end Windows Phone made 1520.3 that I had to buy international version to get 32 GB memory, SD card support and Qi charging and yet MS hasn't released the Denim for it except in Finland. Why no uproar about this situation.

Verizon is a business and as such, they can run it to suit them and their stockholders. If Apple and Google whisper in Verizon's ear to downplay WP's, guess what, they will.

Sit back and be patient. If not, go elsewhere and you are welcome back whenever you feel the need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention