Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Isn't Verizon the only US carrier to provide Denim at the moment?

Either way, a device should be purchased based on what it is, not on what it will become.

Complete nonsense. This phone was sold with the promise of Windows Phone 8.1 and all that would come with it. That's why I bought it and that's why the majority of the people here bought it. If you enjoy throwing gasoline on a fire, that's your business but that's all you're doing.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is getting all the hate when they have released Denim for two of their phones; 822 & 928. AT&T hasn't released Denim on any of their variants and no one is crucifying them. Not saying Verizon is great but just saying AT&T is no angel either.

Another clueless statement. Nobody here would be upset about Denim at this point if we'd received Cyan in July like ATT customers did.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I am sure that others would agree with me on this, but the whole Denim not yet being rolled out to the Icon issue would not be as big of a deal if we all had Cyan (or somehow WP8.1). If I am not mistaken this is the only windows phone of this caliber (flagship?) in the world that does not have WP8.1. The Icon owners are waiting in order to catch up with the rest of the Windows Phone users everywhere when it comes to the phone's OS.

Agree completely. That's the issue. It's not the timing for Denim, it's the fact that we never even got Cyan. Nice to see someone else gets it.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Agree completely. That's the issue. It's not the timing for Denim, it's the fact that we never even got Cyan. Nice to see someone else gets it.

Just download the dev preview dude, it's so easy and you get all the visuals. I haven't had a single problem, and you wouldn't either I'm sure.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Isn't Verizon the only US carrier to provide Denim at the moment?

Either way, a device should be purchased based on what it is, not on what it will become.
This^ FTW!
What a device will do for my needs now, today, is what I'm interested in. There is no logic in buying a phone for what it "might" become six months down the road. The icon is one year old this month. Great if it still works for you, if not time to move on. We can curse Verizon all we want for supposedly promising some update sooner or later or we can realize Verizon is a big corporation and they will do what they want that works for them regardless. Many have left choosing to speak with their wallets. Fine, if that makes them feel better. Verizon never noticed. I chose to stay simply because I don't care for a lesser coverage carrier. But I did go with a better/different device at least until I see where Verizon goes with their W/P line. Bottom line is do what you think is best for your situation, always, but wasn't it last summer that cyan was supposedly right around the corner? Think W10 will come to the icon? I wouldn't place my hard earned money down on that bet.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is getting all the hate when they have released Denim for two of their phones; 822 & 928. AT&T hasn't released Denim on any of their variants and no one is crucifying them. Not saying Verizon is great but just saying AT&T is no angel either.

yea my complaint wasn't about not getting Denim in particular it was about the overall way Verizon has handled the Icon, no updates since 05/2014 and the almost complete lack of any info from Verizon about the Icon is indefensible imho

I am under no illusion that it will be all unicorns and rainbows if I switched to another carrier when my contract comes due

I like the WP platform and there is no evidence right now that Verizon has much interest in WP so it would be crazy imho not to at least look at the pros and cons of joining another carrier instead of blindly just sticking with VZ

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Just download the dev preview dude, it's so easy and you get all the visuals. I haven't had a single problem, and you wouldn't either I'm sure.

Many others have had many problems, including myself, using the the Dev Preview. The lack of firmware is their concern, not OS updates as much. Certain functions and features aren't enabled without it. BTLE for one.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Many others have had many problems, including myself, using the the Dev Preview. The lack of firmware is their concern, not OS updates as much. Certain functions and features aren't enabled without it. BTLE for one.

Slow as hell shutter on the camera and horrible wifi can be added to that list.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I believe most of the people in this thread HAVE downloaded WP8.1 DP. The problem is there are goodies that you don't get in the OS that are baked into the firmware updates; goodies that non-Lumia phones (and some Lumia devices) will not get. For example, Hey Cortana, Sensor Core, Bluetooth 4.0, 4K video recording, and Lumia Camera 5 just to name a few. THAT is why so many people are a tad upset and frustrated. The Icon is one of the few devices that can take advantage of ALL of those improvements. Phones like the 928 or 822 are unable to take advantage of most of the improvements that Denim brings.

Last edited:

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site

See, I would install DP, but a) Denim *should* come soon, and b) there have been issues reported and I don't want to risk it on my daily driver.

I really do want the OS update, but if the firmware is coming, then I'll wait.

carlluigi

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
From MonWindow FR Rumor ?
According to our colleagues NokiaPowerUser, close contact Microsoft business would have confirmed this date of February 4

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon: maybe before March -- or maybe not

Update from Joe Belfiore at Microsoft (Microsoft Can?t Provide ?Firm? Date For Verizon Lumia Icon Denim Update | Ubergizmo)

Now that January is over it is understandable that Lumia Icon owners are getting restless. They want to know when Lumia Denim will be released for their devices.

Windows Phone exec Joe Belfiore explained what Microsoft has said before, ?early 2015,? he says that the release should take place between January and February, ?less likely March.?
In a subsequent tweet Belfiore said that Verizon and Microsoft are working on a daily basis to get this update ready. Pointing towards the unpredictability in the test process Belfiore says that they can?t provide a ?firm? end date at this point in time.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon: maybe before March -- or maybe not

That tweet could easily be interpreted as "go away for another month while we jerk you around some more."

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
See, I would install DP, but a) Denim *should* come soon, and b) there have been issues reported and I don't want to risk it on my daily driver.

I really do want the OS update, but if the firmware is coming, then I'll wait.

If you're OK with 8.0 a while longer (possibly months, realistically), no need to update. But I doubt there are any issues with the Preview that won't be there in Official, so it's really not any risk to update (the Preview is the same code as the Official, and most of us here have been using it for months). The only thing it saves you is time and effort if you plan on doing a hard reset when getting the Preview and the Official, so you won't have to do a reset twice (not necessary, but some people like to start clean).

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Another clueless statement. Nobody here would be upset about Denim at this point if we'd received Cyan in July like ATT customers did.

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence Big Guy. Just made a statement and it was a sensible statement. Your interpretation is surely your choice.

By the way, I've liked and thanked a couple of your post in the past.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. It's frustrating as hell at this point.

I'd honestly settle for the truth even if was to tell me that there is an inherent problem with the phone. At least an informed decision could be made about it. Being kept in the dark is inexcusable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss