Icon now or wait, and wait for new flagship?

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I picked up an Icon free less than a month ago and to be fair have some likes and some dislikes and I say that coming from an 822
So I'm still within the return period and am actually leaning to returning it as I have a new 822 and wait, and wait for the new flagship.
One obvious thing right off the bat is free Icon vs $200 new flagship with two year.
But there are many other things that would go into this thought. Can I ask yours? Stick with it or return it?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, if it was free, what's the problem? Hang on to it for now, and when the new flagships arrive, make the upgrade!

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well there wont be an upgrade for two years if I keep the "free" Icon. And with that upgrade available, thinking I want to use it on a new MS flagship. Not a discontinued phone. Understand I realize that is some bs but if you're here you get that. I guess I didn't say the free Icon was cashing in the two year but figured that was assumed.
And while the screen is not comparable the 822 will do wp10 preview or full blown.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an Icon free less than a month ago and to be fair have some likes and some dislikes and I say that coming from an 822
So I'm still within the return period and am actually leaning to returning it as I have a new 822 and wait, and wait for the new flagship.
One obvious thing right off the bat is free Icon vs $200 new flagship with two year.
But there are many other things that would go into this thought. Can I ask yours? Stick with it or return it?

What more do you want from a new flagship? The leaked Lumia 940 specs don't seem to offer mountains more except a slightly thinner device with more storage, and maybe glance. Icon is not perfect but it is pretty close IMO. Also, if you really like Verizon there is no guarantee the next flagship lumia will be on Verizon.

I would not worry about the discontinued bit, I believe MS will continue to support the phone and work with Verizon to do so. Verizon is going to want the HoloLens LTE on their network so MS has a big ol' bargaining chip now. Icon will get Denim within the next 14 days likely.

That being said, the new flagship will probably be better. Question is whether it is worth waiting until likely October-November for those addt'l features.

Last edited:

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would return it and purchase an used but good Icon from the sites like swappa. Later, when the new flagship comes, you can sell it, and buy new one.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade was available in December. In November I bought a used Icon off eBay for $200. It was my first Windows phone. My thinking was I could try out WP and if I don't like it I could still get a Note 4 with my upgrade and sell the Icon. I am pretty happy with WP so far and am simply going to use the Icon and save my upgrade until something new comes out.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't count on Verizon getting a flagship WP anytime soon.

I picked up an Icon 2 weeks ago (also from an 822) and couldn't be happier. Denim is coming soon, and I'm much more patient about it now than I was before the 822 got it.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
agree, would not surprise me if VZW drops WP this year. tried to buy my dad an Icon or 928 at a VZW corporate store and they tried to talk me out of it, then when I insisted said it was special order b/c they don't stock any windows phones.

if I can get Denim I'll be happy

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
agree, would not surprise me if VZW drops WP this year. tried to buy my dad an Icon or 928 at a VZW corporate store and they tried to talk me out of it, then when I insisted said it was special order b/c they don't stock any windows phones.

if I can get Denim I'll be happy

You're lucky they were able to special order it. My VZ store couldn't even get the Icon online. I had to go to a MS store for it.

Bryan M Davis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought a used Icon from Swappa a month ago. I think that is the way to go. If something better comes out, you can use your upgrade and sell the Icon. Regardless, you get to use a good phone (Icon) for not a lot of money.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My plan too. My HTC 8X had become entirely unreliable, with frequent crashes and invalid sim card errors. My contract ran out so I went to the Verizon store to consider buying an Icon but they had none and tried to talk me out of it, saying all those Windows phones are unreliable and why would anyone want one. But I learned Verizon would give me $25 credit a month if I'm not using a contract phone, so I bought an Icon from an eBay store for about $200, and by the time the new flagship comes out I will have paid the Icon off that way.

I like it a lot, it's a huge upgrade from the 8X in every way, but I must say when my wife got her iPhone 6 I was a little jealous at how light and sleek it is; makes the Icon seem rather heavy and boxy :)

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well according to Verizon my plan is shot. I was going to return the phone to Microsoft. I am past the 14 days that Verizon allows to negate the new two year but before the 30 days Microsoft allows me to return the phone.
Two days ago a vzw employee told me it didn't matter as long as long as Microsoft return policy was still in play. I thought it was kind of fishy but right now at this moment, I hate both of these companies because there is some high level bull**** at play here.
Not that I think it's the end of the world by any means. But as my old 822 has the official update it made me ask them why isn't it available on the Icon just to humor myself. Uhhhh, well it's coming to the 928. no wait it's released for the 928 and it's a windows problem that it's not released yet is what I was told. Lol. Guess I'll settle in with my Icon and be done with this issue. Thanks for everyone's contributions!

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Pick up a refurbished Icon on ebay for $225 or so. Save your Upgrade for what comes next. I'm hoping Windows 10 will cause VZW to bring out a new Flagship Windows Phone!

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Exactly my plan. Sending this from my eBay Icon which I like a lot. And don't forget the VZW credit for being off plan. This Icon will have paid for itself by late summer when the W10 flagship arrives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon