07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
No you don't. I have my debit card linked to the Serve card and my balance is always $0. Whenever I use the Softcard, the money gets taken from my debit card, as it should. I've yet to put a penny in the Serve card.

Works exactly as you stated. I used it today for the ffirst time @ Sports Authority w/o loading any money on the serve card and it was just like using my debit card. The cashier was so impressed as she said this was the first time that she had seen someone pay with their phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The cashier was so impressed as she said this was the first time that she had seen someone pay with their phone.

A cashier at my local McDonald's told me that I'm the only one who ever uses tap to pay. :)

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
A cashier at my local McDonald's told me that I'm the only one who ever uses tap to pay. :)

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

After I left Sports Authority I went to McDs and paid w/my phone and the mgr didn't even flinch when I pd w/my icon.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
After I left Sports Authority I went to McDs and paid w/my phone and the mgr didn't even flinch when I pd w/my icon.

When I started using tap to pay a couple years ago they almost always commented on it, but now hardly any do. There was just the one recently.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site

Well tap-to-pay has been around for a few years. So some places/people have probably seen it being used before. Some places you will still run into people who haven't seen it. As for knowing that you used a Icon, he probably didn't even know what kind of phone it was

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
When I started using tap to pay a couple years ago they almost always commented on it, but now hardly any do. There was just the one recently.

When I used softcard the other day, I asked first because I didn't want to look like a fool. The girl working the register said that she still remembers the first time seeing it in use, and that not to many people use tap-to-pay. So she told me ok you can tap your card. So I tapped the phone, and she was excited and said that she had never seen anyone use their phone to pay. She didn't even know that I was using a Windows phone, but she wanted to know what app to look for in the play store.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
She didn't even know that I was using a Windows phone, but she wanted to know what app to look for in the play store.

If she's on T-Mobile or AT&T then she has a choice of Softcard or Google Wallet. If she's Verizon, then Softcard only... Unless Verizon is allowing Android users to download and install Google Wallet now.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If she's on T-Mobile or AT&T then she has a choice of Softcard or Google Wallet. If she's Verizon, then Softcard only... Unless Verizon is allowing Android users to download and install Google Wallet now.

Verizon's not necessarily allowing Google Wallet, but it works anyway. Starting with KitKat, Google implemented a workaround for Google Wallet to bypass carrier restrictions. I had a couple Verizon phones, a Galaxy S4 and an S5. On both of them I disabled ISIS/Softcard and set up Google Wallet. It worked perfectly.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Tried it today at McDonald's, worked without a hitch. I still have no idea why I'd use this regularly instead of my credit card though. :)

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Tried it today at McDonald's, worked without a hitch. I still have no idea why I'd use this regularly instead of my credit card though. :)

For me, it's the fact that I don't have to run my card through a machine, which may have a skimmer. Using an encrypted communication seems like a better move. It looks like we are finally moving to chip+pin in the US, so this concern is getting to be less of an issue, but my debit card is still an old magnetic strip.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I agree. I still use it, but it's not any more convenient than using a credit card. Apple Pay on an iPhone is probably better though, with the Touch ID.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's the fact that I don't have to run my card through a machine, which may have a skimmer. Using an encrypted communication seems like a better move. It looks like we are finally moving to chip+pin in the US, so this concern is getting to be less of an issue, but my debit card is still an old magnetic strip.
Didn't consider the security aspect, but since the credit card company takes the hit for that I don't care that much anyway. Also, in the US chip + signature will be the most used method, not chip + PIN. I guess that could make the phone method slightly less inconvenient though (McDonald's never has required me to sign anything, so it's pretty much a wash there).

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Didn't consider the security aspect, but since the credit card company takes the hit for that I don't care that much anyway. Also, in the US chip + signature will be the most used method, not chip + PIN. I guess that could make the phone method slightly less inconvenient though (McDonald's never has required me to sign anything, so it's pretty much a wash there).

I agree with the chip+signature. That is what Kid's Footlocker used when I bought my daughter's shoes using Softcard. In actuality it was PIN+chip+signature.

I had to input my PIN to unlock the app then touch my phone to the reader, then sign.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the chip+signature. That is what Kid's Footlocker used when I bought my daughter's shoes using Softcard. In actuality it was PIN+chip+signature.

I had to input my PIN to unlock the app then touch my phone to the reader, then sign.
Well that takes every advantage out of the phone method. "Chip + PIN" refers to using credit card though, just to be clear. Surprisingly few merchant seem to take chip cards still though. Only WalMart does it of the places I have shopped in recently (and they require signature, no PIN). More places seem to take Softcard.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Didn't consider the security aspect, but since the credit card company takes the hit for that I don't care that much anyway.

LOL, Have you ever gotten your credit card stolen or something like that happen to you before ? Do you check your statements EVERY DAY ?

Had it happen once about 5-7 years ago, did not notice till about 4-5 day later, $1200 taken out of my account in things purchased , Call bank, need to file a police report, go to police station, fill out report, wait 5-7 days for a response from the bank.

Sure they put my money back and it did not cost me a dime but, OMG what a MAJOR hassle... One of things nightmares are made of...Even today, it's like that too, it's a major hassle anyway about it.

You should care about it...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
LOL, Have you ever gotten your credit card stolen or something like that happen to you before ? Do you check your statements EVERY DAY ?

Had it happen once about 5-7 years ago, did not notice till about 4-5 day later, $1200 taken out of my account in things purchased , Call bank, need to file a police report, go to police station, fill out report, wait 5-7 days for a response from the bank.

Sure they put my money back and it did not cost me a dime but, OMG what a MAJOR hassle... One of things nightmares are made of...Even today, it's like that too, it's a major hassle anyway about it.

You should care about it...
I check my statement every day. :) Yes, I've gotten it stolen and they took the charges off right away no questions asked. This was B of A debit and Citi credit card. I should say that I think the charges were fairly small. This was a few years ago, so I don't really remember the details.
I guess I should worry, but that was so easy that I didn't much care. :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing with this, I thought every place had this, but, I guess not, the only place I found it was McD, I got breakfast one day there and tested it. It worked fine with no issues. I even checked my debit card and it came off there as it should of.

Cool, now if just more places accepted it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3