Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Now that Google is shutting down Softcard for Windows Phone, what can i do with my balance? i don't have or want an Android device to use it on...can i transfer the balance back to my bank account?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Now that Google is shutting down Softcard for Windows Phone, what can i do with my balance? i don't have or want an Android device to use it on...can i transfer the balance back to my bank account?
Don't you have a serve card, when I first got Softcard a long time ago they sent me a Amex serve card too that you can use as a pre pay debit card.

But it sounds like Google is acting like that spoiled little brat at the sand box,

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Google can suck it. They really look like asses here. You got MS opening up an going cross platform and Google doing this crap... Really would like to see them put in their place.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
while this does suck for WP, and it really does, that's a side effect. Google needed this for Android. they needed more carrier support and this gives them offline, secure SIM payments as an alternative to their host card emulation in the cloud .

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That answer might be pushed out until October with the release of windows 10. MWC is coming up soon though right? we might end up with an answer at that point.

October ? At this point after losing BOA over this weekend(March 1st) and this. I started eyeing another phone. I'll keep my ICON around a little while but, not sure I will last till October.

It seems like everything else on Windows Phone, I am always "Waiting" for something....It's getting really old...

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It seems like everything else on Windows Phone, I am always "Waiting" for something....It's getting really old...

I'm using my icon as a back up and hoping that something comes along that will sway me back to the platform full time. I'm also very tired of always waiting for something. I almost sold my Icon but I keep it around just in case.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I?ve only had the Icon for a few weeks, but this thread prompted me to take the plunge and sign up for Softcard, which I got only a few days before learning they're pulling the plug. I finally used it for the first time today (in a Whole Foods), and it worked fine. But, as others have noted, it?s not mind-blowingly convenient. Let?s see, I can either (1) pull out credit card and (2) swipe. Or I can (1) pull out phone, (2) turn on phone, (3) bring up Softcard, (4) type in pin, (5) wait for ?ready to pay? message, (6) tap to pay. Yeah, it's annoying that Google is killing the app on WP, but it's hard for me to feel like I'm losing a whole lot.

So, if this were the killer feature I lusted for, the only other phone I?d get is an iPhone. It?s clear Apple has nailed this technology and no one else is close. Meanwhile, I?ll just keep on swiping the plastic.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
agree. I also signed up for Softcard but found myself not using it even when I could. swiping a card is not really much less convenient.

I suppose in a world where you could always pay everywhere with your phone, then you could leave your wallet at home...though not if you're driving. we are not losing a lot. and who knows, battery might last longer with NFC off :)

I’ve only had the Icon for a few weeks, but this thread prompted me to take the plunge and sign up for Softcard, which I got only a few days before learning they're pulling the plug. I finally used it for the first time today (in a Whole Foods), and it worked fine. But, as others have noted, it’s not mind-blowingly convenient. Let’s see, I can either (1) pull out credit card and (2) swipe. Or I can (1) pull out phone, (2) turn on phone, (3) bring up Softcard, (4) type in pin, (5) wait for “ready to pay” message, (6) tap to pay. Yeah, it's annoying that Google is killing the app on WP, but it's hard for me to feel like I'm losing a whole lot.

So, if this were the killer feature I lusted for, the only other phone I’d get is an iPhone. It’s clear Apple has nailed this technology and no one else is close. Meanwhile, I’ll just keep on swiping the plastic.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I found that sometimes it is a little more convenient to use tap to pay instead of swiping my card. The best example was I was carrying my daughter on my shoulders and some shopping bags. I couldn't easily get to my wallet. I could get to my phone easier, so I whipped out my GNex and paid using Google Wallet.

I do foresee the death of the credit/debit card as we know it. More and more people will start using tap to pay systems as they become more common and secure. As more people start using it, more merchants will start implementing it. It's kind of like how debit cards replaced check books. People will ask, why do I need to carry a wallet full of debit and credit cards when all I need is my smartphone and my driver's license? Just like they asked, why do I need to carry a check book with me when I have a debit card?

I think a game changer would be if PayPal got into the tap to pay game. They already make a mobile card swiper. All they would need to do is add secure NFC to it's mobile app. How many MILLIONS of people have PayPal accounts. A whole lot more than Apple Pay, Google Wallet, and Softcard I'd say.

As far as Google buying the technology. I find it interesting that Google wants to be more like Microsoft, and Microsoft wants to be more like Apple.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I understand your points, but in this instance it felt as if Google just didn't want Microsoft to have this feature. It just feels odd that after Softcard finally made it to VZW windows platforms, Google steps in and decides to pull the plug...
It may have been in the works for some time, but it just feels like Microsoft didn't expect Google to be a whining baby... I know there is bad blood between MSFT and Google, and also MSFT and Apple, but still who does Apple or Google run too for help when they can't work out software problems.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found that sometimes it is a little more convenient to use tap to pay instead of swiping my card. The best example was I was carrying my daughter on my shoulders and some shopping bags. I couldn't easily get to my wallet. I could get to my phone easier, so I whipped out my GNex and paid using Google Wallet.

I'm impressed that you were able to carry your daughter and launch the Softcard app, presumably using just one hand. It's possible, but a little awkward.

It's clear that the payments business is in a period of major change. With the card issuers pushing a shift to chip cards, which require merchants to get new terminals that are likely to have a tap-to-pay capability, there's a huge opportunity. Apple's fingerprint technology will be more convenient than sliding a chip card into a terminal. (I have 3 chip cards, but I almost never see a merchant who has a chip-enabled terminal.) Right now, Apple seems to have a significant advantage in both convenience and security over Google Wallet. With Windows 10 on the horizon, it's hard to see how Microsoft can be a serious player if it doesn't introduce some kind of mobile wallet capability that compares favorably at least with Google, if not with Apple. To do that will requires a combination of software and hardware. Will MS grab this opportunity? We'll find out in the coming months.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Who pulled the plug? I don't think anyone here knows.
Well we all know that Windows phone has a fairly large app gap, so I really don't think that Microsoft would pull the plug on themselves. Softcard, maybe but they had just been bought out by Google. So logically the plug was more than likely pulled by Google.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm impressed that you were able to carry your daughter and launch the Softcard app, presumably using just one hand. It's possible, but a little awkward.

Wow really, I only have one arm, well one and a half, and getting the Softcard app open and ready to use is a lot easier for me then trying to open my wallet and pull a credit card out. It's only been a few years that I've been with only one arm, but maybe over time it will get easier. But still give it a try, than try opening Softcard and see what is easier...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well we all know that Windows phone has a fairly large app gap, so I really don't think that Microsoft would pull the plug on themselves. Softcard, maybe but they had just been bought out by Google. So logically the plug was more than likely pulled by Google.

Google didn't buy Softcard. Google bought Softcard's technology. Softcard as we know it is simply shuttering its doors. I would venture a guess that the decision to drop WP support wasn't even Google's to make.

As an analogy, let's say that I own a factory and manufacture Product A. I am hemorrhaging cash and wish to liquidate. You also own a factory and produce Product B. You wish to expand. I agree to sell you my assets, and then my company shuts down. You now own my factory building and equipment, and you use it to manufacture Product B.

My customers are left high and dry. Who pulled the plug?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Google didn't buy Softcard. Google bought Softcard's technology. Softcard as we know it is simply shuttering its doors. I would venture a guess that the decision to drop WP support wasn't even Google's to make.

As an analogy, let's say that I own a factory and manufacture Product A. I am hemorrhaging cash and wish to liquidate. You also own a factory and produce Product B. You wish to expand. I agree to sell you my assets, and then my company shuts down. You now own my factory building and equipment, and you use it to manufacture Product B.

My customers are left high and dry. Who pulled the plug?

Softcard since its beginning had been a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile. I don't think with these companies holding equal shares in this company it was hemorrhaging money at the rate at which you are referring to.
However, thanks for your analogy. But your customers are not left high and dry, because tell an AT&T, VZW or T-Mobile customer rep that you are "stuck" on the Windows phone camp, I'm sure either of those 3 service providers could help put you into a Android or iPhone device that would have a "tap-to-pay" alternative or any other app WP may be missing seeing Windows phone does not have this option. Call any of these companies with a problem with Windows missing app "a" and they will go on for several minutes telling you about how Windows does not have this or that app. Also tell any customer service rep (either in store or on phone) and again they will tell you about all the missing apps. So if we don't want to say that this is Google sticking their hands in this deal and pulling the plug trying to keep the smartphone market to just a 2 horse race, lets call it the 3 service providers who have been trying to kill Windows phone for quite some time...

So to switch gears, is Windows phone dying, well yes they are, not because the customers are not satisfied with the equipment, but there are people behind the scenes that are working what ever deals they can to make sure this platform dies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Softcard since its beginning had been a joint venture between AT&T, Verizon and T-mobile. I don't think with these companies holding equal shares in this company it was hemorrhaging money at the rate at which you are referring to.
However, thanks for your analogy. But your customers are not left high and dry, because tell an AT&T, VZW or T-Mobile customer rep that you are "stuck" on the Windows phone camp, I'm sure either of those 3 service providers could help put you into a Android or iPhone device that would have a "tap-to-pay" alternative or any other app WP may be missing seeing Windows phone does not have this option. Call any of these companies with a problem with Windows missing app "a" and they will go on for several minutes telling you about how Windows does not have this or that app. Also tell any customer service rep (either in store or on phone) and again they will tell you about all the missing apps. So if we don't want to say that this is Google sticking their hands in this deal and pulling the plug trying to keep the smartphone market to just a 2 horse race, lets call it the 3 service providers who have been trying to kill Windows phone for quite some time...

So to switch gears, is Windows phone dying, well yes they are, not because the customers are not satisfied with the equipment, but there are people behind the scenes that are working what ever deals they can to make sure this platform dies.

OK, I think I understand what you're trying to say! I agree with you to a point. WP users are pointing fingers at Google for pulling the plug, but it's not quite that straightforward. Softcard itself sold its technology to Google and locked the doors. Taking into consideration what we know, it's more logical to say that Softcard itself pulled the plug by going out of business. Does Google even have the option of keeping the Softcard app going as it is? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. As of right now, possibly the only option for tap and pay on WP is for Google to provide a Google Wallet app, which we all know isn't going to happen until the Cubs win the World Series!

I'm also not convinced that carriers are trying to kill WP. Somebody somewhere, sitting in the corporate office, is agreeing to carry WPs. There must be a reason. However, the reps on the front line don't seem to be quite as eager. But why? What's their vested interest in iPhone or Android? There are several possible reasons:

1. Familiarity. iPhones and Androids have been around for a long time, and we all know them.
  2. SPIFFs? Do Apple and Android's OEMs offer kickbacks to the reps on the sales floor? If that is true, the responsibility goes back to Microsoft to match or beat the payouts.
  3. Returns. I have heard that WPs have a higher rate of return than the others. I don't know for sure if it's true, but if it is, no rep wants his customer returning the phone (s)he just sold them.

And for the record, here's an article that mentions how much money Softcard was losing:
Carriers give up on mobile payments, sell Softcard tech to Google
The company was originally formed to fight Google Wallet. Looking at it from Google's perspective, you could say that it's a sweet victory!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers