02-12-2015 02:12 PM
77 1234
tools
    Stopped by a Verizon store today and had to actually tell the rep to stop steering me to android. I was not interested.

The ICON on display had terrible screen burn and the back of the phone was creaky. Are these known issues? The display iPhones were close to flawless. Based on my experience with the 928, I have slowly become skeptical of the QC department at the old Nokia (now MS). Pains me to say that in leaning iPhone.

Does anyone have experience with both? I want to stay with WP but Microsoft just does not appear to be investing in their phone division at all right now. Hard to admit, but it reminds me of the Google/ Motorola disaster.
    02-03-2015 02:36 AM
    I've had the Icon since it came out and I am thinking about going to the Iphone6. Windows Phone needs to mature and I am hoping they do something soon. I am a big fan of MS and really hate to move to an Apple product, but the Iphone is solid. MS needs to work on getting more updates out faster and fixing bugs along with get more apps out there. Anytime I see a program on TV advertising an app, it's either for the Iphone or Android phone, never Windows. That's not a good sign and I hope that changes. I would avoid any Android product. I had 3 of them and they are very buggy. That's my opinion.
    02-03-2015 07:25 AM
    Anytime I see a program on TV advertising an app, it's either for the Iphone or Android phone, never Windows.
    And sadly, even when companies DO have a Windows Phone app, they often don't even put that in their ads, for some reason.
    02-03-2015 10:08 AM
    And sadly, even when companies DO have a Windows Phone app, they often don't even put that in their ads, for some reason.
    True. I've seen tons of ads for companies that have Windows Phone apps but it isn't reflected in the ad, just iOS and Android.
    MikeSo likes this.
    02-03-2015 10:16 AM
    With picking phones from different OS, there are simply 2 questions that must be answered.

1. Which ecosystem are you invested in? In your case, how deep are you in the windows ecosystem? Can you leave it?

2. What are your main uses for the phone?

If you answer those questions, I think I could help you out.

Off topic:

Can anybody tell me how the phone selling works in the US? Like contracts, what are they and how do they work? Isn't it better to forego the upgrade and just buy your own phone for freedom?
    02-03-2015 10:39 AM
    Its good we have a choice of OS...haven't had a iphone since the iphone4 days and that put me off for life! Mrs has a S4 , and always moaning about the thing (but wont change) Maybe its just me thinking the wp is the coolest,freshest system round? I have all the apps I need (But if we had 400,0000000 apps) I bet people would still moan? Still love the way the tiles are life and "flip" .... Maybe its just me guy!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-03-2015 10:49 AM
    If you are gonna go with the Icon, I wouldn't buy it new - go with a used one from Swappa, or ebay - its a great upgrade on your 928 (Buy Nokia Lumia Icon (Verizon) in US > Swappa) 220$ is an amazing price - I bought mine for 599$ on release. I have the Icon, and its a really amazing phone - beats the pants off my wifes iphone 5s - the 6 is debatable, but its very close. I do love the feel of the 6, its so skinny, and just feels good in the hand - but the Icon can compete on any level with the new iPhone. Gaming, multitasking, camera, etc......and its only going to get better with the impending (I know, its been impending for months now) Denim update. As far as the Apple App store - you know the difference - if you have gotten by with your 928, your not really missing that much. Sure there are some banking apps, and what not, but most of the games are there, and, well, your a fellow WP user, I don't really need to go there. Iphone is nice - but its lack of file support, locked down eco-system, iTunes/iCloud limiting nature is a complete turn off for me. The only reason I let my wife get the iphone 5s, was because its a stabile OS, and she wanted a small screen, and Android was just not cutting it - crash/lag/root/throw into oncoming traffic - couldn't deal with it anymore (which is why I find myself on WP in the first place).

If im you - I wait till W10..........if you cannot wait, the Icon defanitely still competes with the other flagships out there.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-03-2015 12:37 PM
    With picking phones from different OS, there are simply 2 questions that must be answered.

1. Which ecosystem are you invested in? In your case, how deep are you in the windows ecosystem? Can you leave it?

2. What are your main uses for the phone?

If you answer those questions, I think I could help you out.

Off topic:

Can anybody tell me how the phone selling works in the US? Like contracts, what are they and how do they work? Isn't it better to forego the upgrade and just buy your own phone for freedom?
    1. I have EVERYTHING in the windows ecosystem

2. A part of my job is social media management. So it frustrates me when instagram has been in BETA so long and hasn't even seen an update since March of 2014

Off topic: The carrier subsidizes the full retail price of the phone, but you're basically stuck with that phone for 2-years. You could pay a monthly fee and upgrade whenever (basically renting the phone), but with Verizon, you can't upgrade until 75% of the full retail value has been paid off.
    02-03-2015 04:08 PM
    iPhone 6 plus and a watch for me in September - though I might wait on the watch till the 2nd gen
    02-03-2015 04:32 PM
    Despite Verizon's"retired" status, the ICON is really just an exclusive 930 correct? Isn't that still considered the most recent "Flagship" phone in many regions?
    02-03-2015 05:19 PM
    I'm not surprised the demo model had screen burn. These have amoled screens. If you leave them sitting there all day, day after day, with the same image on them, they are going to get screen burn.

I've bought used Galaxies that had alarm clock images or music apps burned into them. People just don't think of what that will do.
    thatdennis and Kevin Rush like this.
    02-03-2015 05:58 PM
    My 822 died last week, and I had to do some thinking. My Verizon family plan includes 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, and my deceased Windows phone. I provide tech support on my wife's Apple devices, and no question the iPhone6 has some cool features. Theres an app or two I wish was available for Win phone. But after pondering for a few days, I picked up an Icon on eBay. Why? Three reasons: (1) start screen, (2) Qi charging, (3) investment in Windows phone ecosystem.
    02-03-2015 11:28 PM
    Some thoughts from a former iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 user and current 1520 user:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...tm#post2970196
    02-03-2015 11:37 PM
    Uhhhh why don't you get a Droid turbo dude, if Motorola didn't mess it up it has the potential to be the best flagship on the market. I've used one for a few minutes and it's really nice.

And as an icon owner, I mean duh, blows the 928 outta the water
    02-03-2015 11:40 PM
    Having an Icon on VZW is painful... I had a 928 previous and the Icon probably the best windows phone out there, however, it's really getting difficult to recommend WP especially on VZW... I have 8.1 and Cortana, but Verizon failed us all by completely skipping Cyan and now after almost 6 months still waiting for Denim so I can simply sync my FitBit. Now Win10 Prev is coming and will probably put that on my Icon, but still on "Black" firm...

I of course am staying with my Icon until MS released another WP FS, however, recommending the Icon on VZW at this point in time is very difficult. It all comes down to your ecosystem and needs not just the Hardware.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-04-2015 02:01 PM
    It took a while to show up, but I was happy when Denim suddenly arrived on my 822. It made a good phone even better -- until the arrival of the dread unable to find a bootable option error (which means, your phone is now a worthless brick). So I picked up an Icon. I know that Verizon support for Win phone sucks, but I have a whole family on Verizon, and VZ has the only decent coverage at our summer place. I think the Icon is a great phone, and the transition from my 822 was very quick and easy, which would not have been true if I changed to a different OS. Im now downgraded to WP8.0, and I probably wont even bother with the PFD process (even though it worked fine on my 822). I didnt find that the bells and whistles that come with Denim were life-transforming. Right now Im content to want what I have and hope for good news down the road.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    02-04-2015 02:50 PM
    I just used my upgrade that's been available for the past 6 months to get an iPhone 6, which is an unusual step for me. I really, really do love Windows Phone, but I seriously have no faith in the relationship between Verizon and these devices. I bought an Icon outright in March 2014, and wouldn't have done so if I knew it was going to remain a static device that Verizon didn't care about. I can't see Verizon releasing anything too mind blowing in the near future. For now, I'm loving the iPhone 6...it's sleek, beautiful, and fluid. Maybe I'll come back to WP if something good comes out, but for now, I'm enjoying the other side.
    02-04-2015 10:00 PM
    I know this will open a can of worms on "Windows Central", but I need some advice. Do I upgrade my Lumia 928 (which has been a mediocre model at best, LOTS of bugs and manufacturing defects) to a "retired" ICON? Or jump to an iPhone 6 and give that a shot for a while? To be clear, I've been a WP supporter since the beginning, but I'm honestly a little tired of the lack of support from both Microsoft and app developers.
    ICON pros: I have EVERYTHING in the Windows Eco System
    iPhone pros: Better apps and consistent update support.

So given the two options, which would you choose and why?
    Go with the iPhone 6. Getting an Icon today in the hopes that it will improve in time is a bit pointless imo.

iPhone 6 is a better phone in every category.
    02-04-2015 10:12 PM
    Go with the iPhone 6. Getting an Icon today in the hopes that it will improve in time is a bit pointless imo.

iPhone 6 is a better phone in every category.
    Which oones exactly?
    02-04-2015 11:21 PM
    Which oones exactly?
    More advanced and mature OS
    Better calibrated display
    Better integrated audio dac and amp
    Faster CPU/GPU
    Better camera and app
    LTE performance
    Apple Care >>>>>>>> Nokia Care
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps

I personally would go for a Lumia, not a fan of thin designs. If I were not on T-Mobile I would have kept L920...
    02-05-2015 03:34 AM
    IPhone has the better camera than Icon/930, hahahha made me laugh.
    DennisvdG likes this.
    02-05-2015 03:36 AM
    Better calibrated display
    Better integrated audio dac and amp
    What does this bs even mean? The Icon has a higher ppi and far superior surround sound audio recording.
    GadgetTron likes this.
    02-05-2015 03:53 AM
    I chose iphone :D
    02-05-2015 04:03 AM
    Buying any so called flagship WP from Verizon now... is dumber than Pete Carroll.
    02-05-2015 04:54 AM
    Buying any so called flagship WP from Verizon now... is dumber than Pete Carroll.
    Pete Carroll. Leads the Seahawks to back to back super bowls. Defined by one bad play call.

Haha sorry, I don't consider that a great analogy.
    02-05-2015 05:41 AM
77 1234