ICON or iPhone?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I believe it has been said here that all WP's will get 10. Also, the Icon is one of the few that will get 4k video with the Denim update.

So, if you're locked to Verizon, I think an Icon is the way to go.

I have one for sale. PM me for details if you're interested.

I'm not convinced this phone will ever see Denim. We've been fed a whole of promises and have received nothing but more promises.

If the OP must choose now, go with the iPhone, but if waiting is an option, that's what I'd do.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I also have a 928. Played with an HTC One M8 with Windows 8.1; it was very snappy and seems to have a very nice build quality. This being said, I'm waiting for MWC to see when the M9 will be coming as well as the fabled high end Lumia from Microsoft. In the meantime, I'll be merrily testing Win10 on my trusty 928

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I use all three. I support our enterprise email on our devices which are mostly iOS and Android. I am a MS ******, and think Windows 10 on phones is going to be the best thing ever, but I force myself to use the others because that is what my users use.

I had been using the iPhone 6 for the last few months and actually just switched back to my Moto X 2014 last Friday. I've grown to hate iOS and it's limitations. It's #1 in apps, that's for sure. But that's kinda it. TouchID is amazing... amazing... but even that wasn't enough to keep me. I switched back to a Android phone with a crappy battery and crappy camera because iOS annoyed me that much. Don't get me wrong though, the Moto X 2014 is still pretty awesome.

So, I know you are talking between the ICON and the iPhone but if it were me.. I'd be picking between Windows Phone and Android. I would actually suggest the Galaxy S5 once Lollipop drops for it. I also have that device and once Lollipop drops I will be switching between that and my 929 with W10. :)

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Stopped by a Verizon store today and had to actually tell the rep to stop steering me to android. I was not interested.

The ICON on display had terrible screen burn and the back of the phone was creaky. Are these known issues? The display iPhones were close to flawless. Based on my experience with the 928, I have slowly become skeptical of the QC department at the old Nokia (now MS). Pains me to say that in leaning iPhone.

Does anyone have experience with both? I want to stay with WP but Microsoft just does not appear to be investing in their phone division at all right now. Hard to admit, but it reminds me of the Google/ Motorola disaster.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Icon since it came out and I am thinking about going to the Iphone6. Windows Phone needs to mature and I am hoping they do something soon. I am a big fan of MS and really hate to move to an Apple product, but the Iphone is solid. MS needs to work on getting more updates out faster and fixing bugs along with get more apps out there. Anytime I see a program on TV advertising an app, it's either for the Iphone or Android phone, never Windows. That's not a good sign and I hope that changes. I would avoid any Android product. I had 3 of them and they are very buggy. That's my opinion.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Anytime I see a program on TV advertising an app, it's either for the Iphone or Android phone, never Windows.

And sadly, even when companies DO have a Windows Phone app, they often don't even put that in their ads, for some reason.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
And sadly, even when companies DO have a Windows Phone app, they often don't even put that in their ads, for some reason.
True. I've seen tons of ads for companies that have Windows Phone apps but it isn't reflected in the ad, just iOS and Android.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
With picking phones from different OS, there are simply 2 questions that must be answered.

1. Which ecosystem are you invested in? In your case, how deep are you in the windows ecosystem? Can you leave it?

2. What are your main uses for the phone?

If you answer those questions, I think I could help you out.

Off topic:

Can anybody tell me how the phone selling works in the US? Like contracts, what are they and how do they work? Isn't it better to forego the upgrade and just buy your own phone for freedom?

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Its good we have a choice of OS...haven't had a iphone since the iphone4 days and that put me off for life! Mrs has a S4 , and always moaning about the thing (but wont change) Maybe its just me thinking the wp is the coolest,freshest system round? I have all the apps I need (But if we had 400,0000000 apps) I bet people would still moan? Still love the way the tiles are life and "flip" .... Maybe its just me guy!

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are gonna go with the Icon, I wouldn't buy it new - go with a used one from Swappa, or ebay - its a great upgrade on your 928 (Buy Nokia Lumia Icon (Verizon) in US > Swappa) 220$ is an amazing price - I bought mine for 599$ on release. I have the Icon, and its a really amazing phone - beats the pants off my wifes iphone 5s - the 6 is debatable, but its very close. I do love the feel of the 6, its so skinny, and just feels good in the hand - but the Icon can compete on any level with the new iPhone. Gaming, multitasking, camera, etc......and its only going to get better with the impending (I know, its been impending for months now) Denim update. As far as the Apple App store - you know the difference - if you have gotten by with your 928, your not really missing that much. Sure there are some banking apps, and what not, but most of the games are there, and, well, your a fellow WP user, I don't really need to go there. Iphone is nice - but its lack of file support, locked down eco-system, iTunes/iCloud limiting nature is a complete turn off for me. The only reason I let my wife get the iphone 5s, was because its a stabile OS, and she wanted a small screen, and Android was just not cutting it - crash/lag/root/throw into oncoming traffic - couldn't deal with it anymore (which is why I find myself on WP in the first place).

If im you - I wait till W10..........if you cannot wait, the Icon defanitely still competes with the other flagships out there.

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
With picking phones from different OS, there are simply 2 questions that must be answered.

1. Which ecosystem are you invested in? In your case, how deep are you in the windows ecosystem? Can you leave it?

2. What are your main uses for the phone?

If you answer those questions, I think I could help you out.

Off topic:

Can anybody tell me how the phone selling works in the US? Like contracts, what are they and how do they work? Isn't it better to forego the upgrade and just buy your own phone for freedom?

1. I have EVERYTHING in the windows ecosystem

2. A part of my job is social media management. So it frustrates me when instagram has been in BETA so long and hasn't even seen an update since March of 2014

Off topic: The carrier subsidizes the full retail price of the phone, but you're basically stuck with that phone for 2-years. You could pay a monthly fee and upgrade whenever (basically renting the phone), but with Verizon, you can't upgrade until 75% of the full retail value has been paid off.

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Despite Verizon's"retired" status, the ICON is really just an exclusive 930 correct? Isn't that still considered the most recent "Flagship" phone in many regions?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not surprised the demo model had screen burn. These have amoled screens. If you leave them sitting there all day, day after day, with the same image on them, they are going to get screen burn.

I've bought used Galaxies that had alarm clock images or music apps burned into them. People just don't think of what that will do.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My 822 died last week, and I had to do some thinking. My Verizon family plan includes 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, and my deceased Windows phone. I provide tech support on my wife's Apple devices, and no question the iPhone6 has some cool features. There?s an app or two I wish was available for Win phone. But after pondering for a few days, I picked up an Icon on eBay. Why? Three reasons: (1) start screen, (2) Qi charging, (3) investment in Windows phone ecosystem.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Uhhhh why don't you get a Droid turbo dude, if Motorola didn't mess it up it has the potential to be the best flagship on the market. I've used one for a few minutes and it's really nice.

And as an icon owner, I mean duh, blows the 928 outta the water

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Having an Icon on VZW is painful... I had a 928 previous and the Icon probably the best windows phone out there, however, it's really getting difficult to recommend WP especially on VZW... I have 8.1 and Cortana, but Verizon failed us all by completely skipping Cyan and now after almost 6 months still waiting for Denim so I can simply sync my FitBit. Now Win10 Prev is coming and will probably put that on my Icon, but still on "Black" firm...

I of course am staying with my Icon until MS released another WP FS, however, recommending the Icon on VZW at this point in time is very difficult. It all comes down to your ecosystem and needs not just the Hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb