ICON or iPhone?

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It took a while to show up, but I was happy when Denim suddenly arrived on my 822. It made a good phone even better -- until the arrival of the dread ?unable to find a bootable option error? (which means, ?your phone is now a worthless brick?). So I picked up an Icon. I know that Verizon support for Win phone sucks, but I have a whole family on Verizon, and VZ has the only decent coverage at our summer place. I think the Icon is a great phone, and the transition from my 822 was very quick and easy, which would not have been true if I changed to a different OS. I?m now downgraded to WP8.0, and I probably won?t even bother with the PFD process (even though it worked fine on my 822). I didn?t find that the bells and whistles that come with Denim were life-transforming. Right now I?m content to want what I have and hope for good news down the road.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I just used my upgrade that's been available for the past 6 months to get an iPhone 6, which is an unusual step for me. I really, really do love Windows Phone, but I seriously have no faith in the relationship between Verizon and these devices. I bought an Icon outright in March 2014, and wouldn't have done so if I knew it was going to remain a static device that Verizon didn't care about. I can't see Verizon releasing anything too mind blowing in the near future. For now, I'm loving the iPhone 6...it's sleek, beautiful, and fluid. Maybe I'll come back to WP if something good comes out, but for now, I'm enjoying the other side.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know this will open a can of worms on "Windows Central", but I need some advice. Do I upgrade my Lumia 928 (which has been a mediocre model at best, LOTS of bugs and manufacturing defects) to a "retired" ICON? Or jump to an iPhone 6 and give that a shot for a while? To be clear, I've been a WP supporter since the beginning, but I'm honestly a little tired of the lack of support from both Microsoft and app developers.
ICON pros: I have EVERYTHING in the Windows Eco System
iPhone pros: Better apps and consistent update support.

So given the two options, which would you choose and why?

Go with the iPhone 6. Getting an Icon today in the hopes that it will improve in time is a bit pointless imo.

iPhone 6 is a better phone in every category.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Which oones exactly?

More advanced and mature OS
Better calibrated display
Better integrated audio dac and amp
Faster CPU/GPU
Better camera and app
LTE performance
Apple Care >>>>>>>> Nokia Care
Apps
Apps
Apps
Apps

I personally would go for a Lumia, not a fan of thin designs. If I were not on T-Mobile I would have kept L920...

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
More advanced and mature OS
Better calibrated display
Better integrated audio dac and amp
Faster CPU/GPU
Better camera and app
LTE performance
Apple Care >>>>>>>> Nokia Care
Apps
Apps
Apps
Apps

I personally would go for a Lumia, not a fan of thin designs. If I were not on T-Mobile I would have kept L920...

How about I give you apps and applecare and we call it even. The rest is laughable. Sorry but ios is cartoony with no customizing. I've tested both phones side by side a few times. Thanks for the laugh though!

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Pete Carroll. Leads the Seahawks to back to back super bowls. Defined by one bad play call.

Haha sorry, I don't consider that a great analogy.
maybe he's saying that the icon is consistently awesome, and you shouldn't let the bad call of not immediately pushing denim ruin it for you???? ;)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know this will open a can of worms on "Windows Central", but I need some advice.

1 Do I upgrade my Lumia 928 (which has been a mediocre model at best, LOTS of bugs and manufacturing defects) to a "retired" ICON?

2 Or jump to an iPhone 6 and give that a shot for a while? To be clear, I've been a WP supporter since the beginning, but

3 I'm honestly a little tired of the lack of support from both Microsoft and app developers.

4 ICON pros: I have EVERYTHING in the Windows Eco System

5 iPhone pros: Better apps and consistent update support.

6 So given the two options, which would you choose and why?

1 no
2 yes, iphone
3 understandably so
4 they are files. move them to the new 'ecosystem' and enjoy an operating system TODAY instead of waiting for what might happen 'soon'.
5 yes, that's a big part of why i'm answering with iphone recommendations
6 i'm being redundant, but the iphone has the features, capabilities, and software (developer) support TODAY. right now you can download whatever app you need, and use it, today. your files (they are YOUR files, not a submission to an 'ecosystem') are yours to manipulate with whatever software that you like. that software is available TODAY on ios, not 'coming soon'.

you can always sell the device for what you paid for it, and buy another windows phone if/when the next windows update is fully functional. and move your files again. and start trying to find applications on windows platform.

move for today, not 'coming soon', and enjoy.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What does this bs even mean? The Icon has a higher ppi and far superior surround sound audio recording.

iPhone display has a superior color gamut and accurate color reproduction. PPI is meaningless. If you use PPI alone to measure sharpness that is a problem ;)

DAC = Digital to Audio Converter.
AMP = Amplifier
There is a reason why audiophiles almost exclusively use Apple smartphones ;)

Edit: Where did I state that iPhone has better audio recording? Lumia camera is a joke.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about I give you apps and applecare and we call it even. The rest is laughable. Sorry but ios is cartoony with no customizing. I've tested both phones side by side a few times. Thanks for the laugh though!

Tell me what you can customize in WP that you cannot do in iOS?

Cartoony is subjective, please explain how WP is a better OS excluding user end interactions.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
iPhone display has a superior color gamut and accurate color reproduction. PPI is meaningless. If you use PPI alone to measure sharpness that is a problem ;)

DAC = Digital to Audio Converter.
AMP = Amplifier
There is a reason why audiophiles almost exclusively use Apple smartphones ;)

I find audiophiles generally use android actually. Lots of phones have similar drivers, but android supports lossless file types and I've always found music pushed on to devices with iTunes either too compressed sounding or too tinny. Which is 100% the reason I initially went to Zune.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find audiophiles generally use android actually. Lots of phones have similar drivers, but android supports lossless file types and I've always found music pushed on to devices with iTunes either too compressed sounding or too tinny. Which is 100% the reason I initially went to Zune.
When did you switch exactly? Apple lossless has been around for quite awhile. iTunes is a nightmare >.>

Portable DACs just work when plugged in.
There are good Android phones too but I wouldn't lump them all into 'Android'.
Sony Z3 sounds pretty good

Zune was awesome, RIP Zune. User Interface on the HD is 100% why I went back to Windows phones.

tomworthjr

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 4S to an Icon last Feb/March when it launched. LOVED it, especially compared to the 4S with its small screen and camera that wasn't nearly as awesome as the Icon's. Loved the UI. LOVED the Qi wireless charging.
But returned it within the 30 day period due to loss of shared ecosystem with my family. I still miss it every day.
I did get a 6 Plus when it came out and really enjoy it. Camera does not take a "bad" picture. I'm continually amazed by the quality of images that result, along with the instantaneous result of snapping them. And the screen is obviously no longer an issue.
All of that said, I check a million times a day to see if Denim is out yet for Icon, because I want to buy an off-contract Icon when that happens (if that happens, which I think will, but we've all thought so for months now). I'm intrigued by the camera improvements. Even though the iPhone 6 Plus never takes a bad picture and almost always takes a really good picture (and lots of them, quickly), it doesn't take the big frameable pictures that the Icon did. On our family trip to San Francisco last spring, I took several Icon shots and framed one of them on a big canvas. The detail was that good. That is not happening on an iPhone, the blown up picture detail isn't there yet. But for looking at your pictures on your phone or computer monitor, which is almost 100% of what we do, the iPhone is more than good enough.
There is no "right" answer; on the other hand, there is no "wrong" answer, either.

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Tell me what you can customize in WP that you cannot do in iOS?

Cartoony is subjective, please explain how WP is a better OS excluding user end interactions.

Hard to say, my personal preference is with WP so I am bias. I find live tiles to be more immersive and engaging, IOS has always struck me as stripped down and simplistic. I understand it's technically supposed to be, but I feel if you were running IOS, all incompatibilities aside, on a Droid turbo, icon, or even a note 4 the os would be blazingly fast, where as a 6 running a different os would probably be lacking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb