ICON or iPhone?

fanbpunx

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
When did you switch exactly? Apple lossless has been around for quite awhile. iTunes is a nightmare >.>

Portable DACs just work when plugged in.
There are good Android phones too but I wouldn't lump them all into 'Android'.
Sony Z3 sounds pretty good

Zune was awesome, RIP Zune. User Interface on the HD is 100% why I went back to Windows phones.

Well, I switched in 2010, I wish Microsoft still made Zune sooooo badly, mostly because I can't get a new one without paying a redic amount of money.

A good example, although I might get flamed for it, is the HTC m8, great Audi quality no matter how you listen

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say, my personal preference is with WP so I am bias. I find live tiles to be more immersive and engaging, IOS has always struck me as stripped down and simplistic. I understand it's technically supposed to be, but I feel if you were running IOS, all incompatibilities aside, on a Droid turbo, icon, or even a note 4 the os would be blazingly fast, where as a 6 running a different os would probably be lacking.

Don't get me wrong, as it is today WP is a good experience for most people.

There is still a lot of APIs that Microsoft needs to implement, and code that needs to be revised.

Features that appear simple to implement such as default applications are omitted.

W10 might be great, but if the OP needs a phone why get an Icon? Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing so well with CDMA carrier updates :S

iPhone 6 is already awesome, no need to pay and pray ;)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I switched in 2010, I wish Microsoft still made Zune sooooo badly, mostly because I can't get a new one without paying a redic amount of money.

A good example, although I might get flamed for it, is the HTC m8, great Audi quality no matter how you listen
M8 has great headphone output and speakers!
Cheap one pop up on eBay every few weeks. Sold Zune HD after I got a Walkman but the Tegra 2 really doesn't handle ICS well

Rewire

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
​I too have been a WP supporter and user from the beginning and I got tired of losing apps and waiting for a flagship. I just got an iPhone 6 but I still have an Icon and a 1520. I am using the iPhone until a 1030 replacement arrives and I will be testing W10 on the Icon.

There are a lot of things I miss from WP on the iPhone like a good camera app ( I don't care what iVerge says, Lumia Camera blows the iOS camera app away) and an app list, but at least I am mixing things up for a while and keeping up with the alternatives. iOS 8 is also pretty unstable at the moment, many apps hang up on launch about 1/4 to 1/2 the time, Safari seems to crash on about 1/4 of the pages I visit, and sometimes music just stops playing in the middle of a song without any interaction.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
​I too have been a WP supporter and user from the beginning and I got tired of losing apps and waiting for a flagship. I just got an iPhone 6 but I still have an Icon and a 1520. I am using the iPhone until a 1030 replacement arrives and I will be testing W10 on the Icon.

There are a lot of things I miss from WP on the iPhone like a good camera app ( I don't care what iVerge says, Lumia Camera blows the iOS camera app away) and an app list, but at least I am mixing things up for a while and keeping up with the alternatives. iOS 8 is also pretty unstable at the moment, many apps hang up on launch about 1/4 to 1/2 the time, Safari seems to crash on about 1/4 of the pages I visit, and sometimes music just stops playing in the middle of a song without any interaction.

I'm tempted to get an iPhone lately, I'm surprised to hear that iOS is so unstable. That's the main reason why I'll never touch an Android phone. Besides the apps, are you finding any other advantage to going with the iPhone? Are you switching SIM cards when going back and forth between phones?

Romanissima

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
To be honest with u, there r many more apps for the iphone and this new six is really sleek. I hate having a phone that i see much more often, thats why i have lumia, which is not that great but i still love it.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Well considering that Verizon has just in the last hour or so updated the support pdf's for the Icon and has listed the Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Denim as the specs on the phone in the document that means that in the next 24-36 hours we should be receiving the Denim update rolling out so go Icon all the way and leave the iPhone in it's wake. The Icon is going be on par if not better than the iPhone with this update in the coming hours.

etlahrs

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an Icon and my wife has an iPhone 6, so I was having the same thought of sticking with the Icon or switching to the iPhone 6. I stayed with the Icon for a couple reasons. I bought an iPad Air 2 so I get the apps and such of iOS that I had been lacking with the Icon, but I keep one of the best features that is probably keeping me from switching, text to speech to text. Having the ability to have my texts read to me and reply to them when connected to any Bluetooth device (such as our cars) is such a great feature. With the amount people text now, it is great to have that ability to do it all hands free in any vehicle with Bluetooth, without needing a feature of the vehicle.

To me, that was a huge factor in keeping my Icon. I am actually surprised iPhone hasn't added this feature yet.

​Just my 2 cents.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
iPhone display has a superior color gamut and accurate color reproduction. PPI is meaningless. If you use PPI alone to measure sharpness that is a problem ;)

DAC = Digital to Audio Converter.
AMP = Amplifier
There is a reason why audiophiles almost exclusively use Apple smartphones ;)

Edit: Where did I state that iPhone has better audio recording? Lumia camera is a joke.

Ha Ha, the same audiophiles that think a 12 meter ethernet cable is worth $10,000.

RushabK

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
To the OP:

I'm a big MS guy...and even enjoyed the Windows Mobile days. During the WP7 days, I was on BB and IPhone. I switched to WP8 two years ago. First with the 920 and then the 1520. I travel a lot for business and use MS Exchange, so WP8 was great for me. Recently, I asked myself the same question you are asking yourself. Do I stick with WP or wait for it to mature and go with the IPhone (which my wife has). I also have 2 kids (ages 1 and 2.5), and although the 1520 Lumia camera is better than the IPhone, it still takes 3-4 seconds to take a picture. This was very difficult for me since both kids do not stand still to pose for more than a second. Outside of the App gap and any other downsides of WP, the long camera delay on my 1520 was causing me to miss moments in my kids lives while my wife would snap 10 pics (great quality) in seconds using her iPhone 6. So I compromised and kept my 1520 has a secondary and got the IPhone 6 Plus as my primary.

Having used the IPhone 6 Plus for the past 5 days, I have to say I'm impressed. Today, the IPhone has almost all MS ecosystem apps on IOS. OneDrive auto backup works great. Office (Word, Excel, PPT) are on IOS. MSN News, Sports, Travel, etc. work great, if not better on the IPhone. The Xbox One App is works just as well as the WP8.1 app. I prefer to play with W10 on my 1520 and hope that developers support WP in the coming years.

Finally, I will end with this: Yes, we all know there is an app gap, and quite honestly, that is another reason I made the switch to IOS. When banks are pulling apps from WP, it becomes frustrating for the user (and I do no think going through the hassle of switching banks is the correct solution). We have seen many official apps arrive to WP (which is great), however I noticed something interesting while using the IPhone for the past few days. The level of how much apps are updated and maintained on the iPhone is amazing. For example, FB or the ESPN app could have been updated two days ago, and then again yesterday and then once more today. The level of attention given to the apps and the user experience in the iPhone is not seen on WP. WP's apps are updated sparingly and sometimes months go by before we see one.

The choice is yours and what makes you happy. As one commenter stated on this thread, choose the device that has everything you need today and not what will come later. I do miss the live tiles, but the widgets on the today section on IOS (including the notifications) come close. And the Lock Screen notifications (including the ability to reply to an SMS from the lock screen) on IOS is awesome. IOS is poor on contact integration, especially FB. I miss the social contacts integration from WP the most. Anyway, I will continue supporting WP with my 1520, but no one ever said that you cannot taste other flavors.

Good luck on your decision and I hope this helps.

RushabK

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: I forgot to mention three more things:

1) Although Siri works well, I do miss Cortana. Cortana's level of personalization is second to none. Nevertheless, Siri works and that's better than nothing!!

2) No Windows Central app...so a little more effort is required in keeping up to date with everything Windows.

3) Xbox Music's app is pretty bad on the IPhone. I was never a fan of it on WP, but just something to consider. Also, there is no Xbox video app, so if you have purchased a lot of content via Xbox video, you won't be able to view it on the IPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720