ICON or iPhone?

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I know this will open a can of worms on "Windows Central", but I need some advice. Do I upgrade my Lumia 928 (which has been a mediocre model at best, LOTS of bugs and manufacturing defects) to a "retired" ICON? Or jump to an iPhone 6 and give that a shot for a while? To be clear, I've been a WP supporter since the beginning, but I'm honestly a little tired of the lack of support from both Microsoft and app developers.
ICON pros: I have EVERYTHING in the Windows Eco System
iPhone pros: Better apps and consistent update support.

So given the two options, which would you choose and why?

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Based on what you said, go for the IPhone.
And in the meanwhile you can see what MS brings up with Windows 10 for phones (and the new devices that will be released) ,
so in the future you could sell the IPhone for a new W10 device (if you like what you see) ,because the value of IPhone won't drop as much as this of the ICON in the next months ;)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Alfa Kapa.
And the grass on the other side always looks greener and maybe it is go for the iPhone and find out.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
If that's your only two option, get the iPhone. The future of the Icon and WP on Verizon are unpredictable. I would say though, that there are some very nice Android phones on Verizon. If you decide you want to come back to the Icon, you will always be able to sell the iPhone, make a profit, and get a used Icon.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon. My wife has an iPhone 6. Get an iPhone 6 or wait until Denim is released. Also, understand that Denim will be the only firmware update you'll ever get.

EDIT: If you decide on an Icon, do not sign up for a two year contract. You can find one on Ebay much cheaper now.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Buy a 930 from eBay then you'll get denim and w20

That would mean he would have to switch carriers. If you read the original post, he has a 928 which is a Verizon exclusive, so a 930 is out of the picture.

I know this will open a can of worms on "Windows Central", but I need some advice. Do I upgrade my Lumia 928 (which has been a mediocre model at best, LOTS of bugs and manufacturing defects) to a "retired" ICON? Or jump to an iPhone 6 and give that a shot for a while? To be clear, I've been a WP supporter since the beginning, but I'm honestly a little tired of the lack of support from both Microsoft and app developers.
ICON pros: I have EVERYTHING in the Windows Eco System
iPhone pros: Better apps and consistent update support.

So given the two options, which would you choose and why?

I'm not an Apple fan, so I would say hold off for now if it's that big of a deal. Especially since you are already in the WP ecosystem. The Icon is a great phone though and even without Denim it still kicks **** with WP8.1 DP.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
ICON all the way. The grass is greenest over here. trust me. I have used all platforms and MS is by far the best, most stable system of all.

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
ICON all the way. The grass is greenest over here. trust me. I have used all platforms and MS is by far the best, most stable system of all.

Apple is pretty stable as well. I do prefer windows and anything ms related but apples stability is almost if not on par with our own on windows phone. The advantage of windows phone is it works on all kinds of phones from the 520 to the icon

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If you go with the iPhone, keep your 928 to see what W 10 is all about. If you go with the ICON; keeping the 9928 is a moot point.

GadgetTron

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! Actually kind of surprised by some of the responses! Question: Will the ICON be getting Windows 10? Perhaps some the delay of Denim has to do with the XLTE bands in the OS not playing well with Verizon's network?

I really do love WP and am torn in this decision. The ICON is the only option in my opinion on VZW worth spending a couple of years with. Not a fan of HTC.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I believe it has been said here that all WP's will get 10. Also, the Icon is one of the few that will get 4k video with the Denim update.

So, if you're locked to Verizon, I think an Icon is the way to go.

I have one for sale. PM me for details if you're interested.

07outback

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an Icon. My wife has an iPhone 6. Get an iPhone 6 or wait until Denim is released. Also, understand that Denim will be the only firmware update you'll ever get.

EDIT: If you decide on an Icon, do not sign up for a two year contract. You can find one on Ebay much cheaper now.

I upgraded from a 928 to an Icon 2 months ago. I bought my Icon in eBay for $197.00 shipped in excellent condition. I certain have no regrets as I prefer the WP ecosystem over IOS; which both my wife and son prefer.

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from an 822 to the Icon a few weeks ago. Got it free from the Microsoft store on their Christmas promotion. I am very happy with the phone and will stick with WP for at least the next two years (yes, I am on contract with Verizon for another two years). After that, we should have a better picture of what the WP ecosystem has become and if it will continue to be supported by both Microsoft and the carriers. Until then, I will look forward to Denim and WP10 and whatever else is slated for the WP family in future technology.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea