Contract is up!? Stay with VZW or switch to AT&T?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Given Verizon's lack of enthusiasm for WP I'd switch to at&t. Verizon has done nothing to show me they have any interest in supporting the platform at all and luckily my contract ends right around the time w10 should be arriving. I'm absolutely jumping ship.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I would probably check if AT&T coverage in your area is as good as Verizon (if not better) before I switch. Also Icon just got Denim and we still dont know if the next flagship will be for all carriers or which ones (if you also are choosing between Icon, 830 or a new flagship).

So in my opinion I would just wait for the new flagship and see where it lands, but if you are in dire need then i'd see which carrier has better coverage.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My contract with Verizon is up in eight days. And I do already have an Icon, so my situation is a bit different than yours. I've decided i'm probably going to do month to month with Verizon until I get a better idea of who is getting the flagship that I want later this year.

It's worth noting that my company pays for my phone as well as my wife's phone. So switching one of us to AT&T would complicate that arrangement.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Why not have the best of both worlds. I have the ICON and I'm on Straight Talk. 3.5 GB data per month non throttled, unlimited talk, text and mms works just fine. I pay $46 per month including tax. And the best part is I still have Verizon LTE; just don't have to pay them all the extra $ per month.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Given Verizon's lack of enthusiasm for WP I'd switch to at&t. Verizon has done nothing to show me they have any interest in supporting the platform at all and luckily my contract ends right around the time w10 should be arriving. I'm absolutely jumping ship.

Then how do we explain Verizon being the only US carrier to provide Denim? I wouldn't say that any of the US carriers are enthusiastic about WP. Pick your poison!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Look at coverage before making any decision. I know AT&T is really good here in Vegas and most places I fly to but its not wonderful everywhere. When I was with Verizon, it was not so good in more places I've traveled than my experience with AT&T. I went to South Dakota on one trip and had to leave the hotel, cross the street and stand in a ice covered parking lot to get a signal to make a call. I came to AT&T and I stay with them because the service has been extraordinary.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I m buying a used phone and going to ATT. If Verizon gets a new flagship, I can always jump back. If ATT gets one, then my foot is already in the door. They both work about the same in my area, but the calls to Mexico is really why we are switching. My wife has family there and Skype isn't always an option to call. Unlimited calls for $5/month? Yes please!
It all boils down to what is the best deal for you. For me, ATT is the way to go.
$.02

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
After 11 years with Verizon I moved to AT&T. I got tired of VZ dragging their feet on 8.1. I'm glad I made the change. Overall, I like my replacement phone more (used 1520 from eBay) and my GoPhone plan is cheaper than what I had with VZ. I'm lucky enough to have just as good coverage with AT&T as VZ.

With that said, it all depends on coverage in your area. And while VZ rolled out Denim before AT&T, I'm still very apprehensive about VZ's commitment to WP over AT&T. If WP market share doesn't increase I would bet VZ throws WP in the back corner again.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Then how do we explain Verizon being the only US carrier to provide Denim? I wouldn't say that any of the US carriers are enthusiastic about WP. Pick your poison!

we didn't get an update for the Icon for 9 months until Denim, so imho don't pat Verizon on the back too much

I would have been OK waiting with Cyan from At&t awhile till Denim instead of almost a full calendar year with nothing from Verizon

my advice will be to shop around and don't blindly just resign with VZ

in my case I'm on wi-fi 75% of the time (home, work, college, hotspots) so the rest of the time I have to make the decision if it is worth dealing with Verizon's disinterest in WP but their superior coverage or go with less coverage but better support for WP on another carrier like At&t

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
we didn't get an update for the Icon for 9 months until Denim, so imho don't pat Verizon on the back too much

I would have been OK waiting with Cyan from At&t awhile till Denim instead of almost a full calendar year with nothing from Verizon

my advice will be to shop around and don't blindly just resign with VZ

in my case I'm on wi-fi 75% of the time (home, work, college, hotspots) so the rest of the time I have to make the decision if it is worth dealing with Verizon's disinterest in WP but their superior coverage or go with less coverage but better support for WP on another carrier like At&t

I'm not blindly supporting Verizon, but this WP support thing flops back and forth. I remember at the release of a device (don't recall which one, but I think it was the Lumia 920/WP8) when a reporter made a remark about AT&T being a poor partner. The remark brought a lot of praise.

Then in 2014 Verizon got the Icon and the M8, and they were heralded as the WP supporter instead of AT&T. Later, Verizon dropped the Icon and the 928, and it didn't provide Cyan for the Icon. The general feeling was that AT&T was again the primary WP supporter, even though they didn't release a WP flagship for a year. They did get the 830, but it was considered mid range.

Now, AT&T still hasn't launched a flagship since the 1520 if I'm not mistaken, and still has not produced Denim for any of their devices. It did get the M8, but Verizon had it first. AT&T never did get the 930, which is largely considered the current WP flagship.

So, which carrier supports WP the best? It's confusing, isn't it? :eek:rly:

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After 11 years with Verizon I moved to AT&T. I got tired of VZ dragging their feet on 8.1. I'm glad I made the change. Overall, I like my replacement phone more (used 1520 from eBay) and my GoPhone plan is cheaper than what I had with VZ. I'm lucky enough to have just as good coverage with AT&T as VZ.

With that said, it all depends on coverage in your area. And while VZ rolled out Denim before AT&T, I'm still very apprehensive about VZ's commitment to WP over AT&T. If WP market share doesn't increase I would bet VZ throws WP in the back corner again.
Hey bro I responded to your PM...sorry I missed it.

BTW - I switched to AT&T too, love it so far and my 1520.3 phone.

Spiritualengr

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. Coverage in Des Moines and everywhere we normally travel is about the same. My wife and I are both itching for new phones as the usb jack on both our 822 are broken. Constant fight over the one wireless charging plate we have. I have been annoyed with VZW but our local store still has a few Icons in stock which makes me think twice. I wish I knew when and where the new flagship was gone to drop, but I don't think my wife wants to keep limping her phone along just because I want to wait to get the newest hotness.

ljharper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen this mentioned, and it may be a non-issue for many people. We left Sprint almost a year ago due to their lack of decent windows phones. We debated several weeks between AT&T and Verizon. Service coverage is similar (Des Moines area).

By making this switch, we were giving up unlimited data and moving to a metered data plan (2GB shared), and since we had no concept of prior data usage, we were kind of terrified of getting dinged for overages, particularly since we were moving to a much faster phone/network and were both likely to use more data. For us, the primary factor in choosing to go with Verizon was Data Sense. At the time, AT&T stripped Data Sense out of the Windows Phone OS. As it turned out, based on the way we use our phones we've never had an ounce of trouble staying within our data cap, but I also have to attribute much of that to the monitoring and usage control that Data Sense gives us.

Can anyone confirm if AT&T still removes Data Sense from their phones? If so, even though at this point I'm much less paranoid about going over our cap, I'm not sure I would move to them. I feel like the only motivation to rip out such a useful piece of the OS is to encourage overages, and that smacks of unethical business practices to me.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If I were contemplating this I'd pick up a cheap phone for AT&T and check their service prior to signing any contract. Pre pay a month and compare by having both phones with you. Coverage is everything and nothing worse than committing to a new provider and finding out it was maybe not the best decision after all. Coverage maps cannot be believed. Just because your out of contract don't be to quick to jump over. Time is on your side. Anyway, my .02 cents

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

How do you explain the Icon being discontinued? How do you explain them taking so long to release cyan that it almost overlapped with denim? They took so long it was pointless to even upgrade.

I'm not saying any carrier is waving the flag for WP but Verizon has clearly been the least enthusiastic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers