Blacks not black after Denim

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, black on boot up but after it is brownish tint.

I am trying to go through the 930 forums and see what was done on their part to fix the issue. Seems like they got an OS update that fixed it :(

Additionally can you guys specifiy if you went from PfD to Denim or 8.0 to Denim and had the issue. I am wondering if the 8.0 to Denim guys don't have the issue and the PfD users are only affected...

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I flashed using LSRT, so it was a clean upgrade.

To be more clear to those that are having the issue here:

Were you ON 8.0 when you updated to Denim, OTA or LSRT

OR

Were you on PfD 8.1 and updated OTA or LSRT to Denim?

I was on PfD 8.1 and updated to Denim OTA and I am guessing Dreamspell was also on PfD 8.1 and updated via LSRT and also has the issue.

I am wondering if those that were on 8.0 and did the OTA or LSRT update to Denim have the issue?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I went PFD to Denim, OTA. I've always had Brightness set to low/auto. I didn't notice anything after upgrading. I set it to high and saw the reddish tint within seconds. Switched back and it was fine.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I went PFD to Denim, OTA. I've always had Brightness set to low/auto. I didn't notice anything after upgrading. I set it to high and saw the reddish tint within seconds. Switched back and it was fine.

To have a relatively black background I have to set it to auto or low and the slider in settings has to be all the way tot he left, color profiles don't do anything. The hue is still there though, when on auto and it increases brightness its visible...

Again its not a major deal breaker but what used to be a pretty clear black screen is now a hue of red/purple/brown...

The additional question I have is if the ones that went 8.0 to Denim, is there anyway to flash back to 8.0....?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It's not just the blacks though... :(

when I set colors to standard, they're really washed out compared to before. If I set to Vivid, it's really warm (reddish).

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It's not just the blacks though... :(

when I set colors to standard, they're really washed out compared to before. If I set to Vivid, it's really warm (reddish).

I know what you mean, I guess that's a better way to describe it the colors are washed out across the device depending on the brightness. Its the whole screen hue that is messed up and its software related, since the boot screen until the Verizon logo is unaffected.

My buddies phone which is 8.0 still has the crisp clear black and proper colors. I dunno I wonder if there is a way to roll back to 8.0 and then upgrade once more....

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
My colors were fine after the update until I recently turned off my phone. When I turned it on the colors were all off. I especially notice the red near the edge of the screen when the brightness adjusts from ambient light to darkness. Other than that it isn't noticeable in daylight for me.

Neopassive

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I am having this issue. It happened on both of my Lumia Icons after upgrading to Denim. Blacks are row red-ish, noticeable especially on high brightness. More annoyingly, all the colors are dull. I have used all the display options. There is definitely an issue with the color profile. It really makes the awesome display of the Icon look much worse than it had before.
I have been in contact on Twitter to VZW and 'Lumia' but there is only so much that can do. I expect there will be a patch from Microsoft to fix it, but that is hoping it is not a firmware problem.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Considering the issue was resolved with an OS patch and update to display for the 930 (at least according to most users) we might have some hope yet. I just hope that Daniel can make a post on the front page about it to gather some attention maybe?

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've looked for signs of this issue, and I can't find it on my Icon, which upgraded directly from 8.0 to Denim. On my start screen, the tile for the Uber app looks very black; the tile for the NY Times App is a slightly grayer black, but no sign of reddish brown, in bright light or dim.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've looked for signs of this issue, and I can't find it on my Icon, which upgraded directly from 8.0 to Denim. On my start screen, the tile for the Uber app looks very black; the tile for the NY Times App is a slightly grayer black, but no sign of reddish brown, in bright light or dim.

You only really can easily see it when you have the phone brightness set to high. If you want it to be blatantly noticeable, set brightness to high and then look at a black screen in the dark room (like at night with the lights out). Load up any app that has a black background. Or better yet, load an app. Then hit the back button to go back to the start screen. Heck, just sit in the dark and look at the start screen at the top of the phone (in the empty space between the time and notifications). Remember, the Icon used to have nearly pitch black with vivid colors.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
You only really can easily see it when you have the phone brightness set to high. If you want it to be blatantly noticeable, set brightness to high and then look at a black screen in the dark room (like at night with the lights out). Load up any app that has a black background. Or better yet, load an app. Then hit the back button to go back to the start screen. Heck, just sit in the dark and look at the start screen at the top of the phone (in the empty space between the time and notifications). Remember, the Icon used to have nearly pitch black with vivid colors.
Excactly on 8.0 it was flawless now there is something odd going on with the screen. Heck in low light cycling the brightness makes the problem apparent... Its just weird it happened after the update... And it sucks cause the rest of the phone is awesome now...

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my icon and am loving it. It's the perfect size. I cracked my 1520 and was fortunate to find the icon for the low of $125. I upgraded from 8.0 to denim have have this issue. My 1520 compared side to side has darker blacks since update to denim ! I was thinking of experimenting with windows 10 , as I have it on the 1520 but don't want to risk it on my daily driver. Anyone willing to? I just might have to and revert back if anything.I'm using icon on att was able to get mms , lte symbol but only 3mbps down 7 up ? I can deal with hsdpa + speeds til the next flagship.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my icon and am loving it. It's the perfect size. I cracked my 1520 and was fortunate to find the icon for the low of $125. I upgraded from 8.0 to denim have have this issue. My 1520 compared side to side has darker blacks since update to denim ! I was thinking of experimenting with windows 10 , as I have it on the 1520 but don't want to risk it on my daily driver. Anyone willing to? I just might have to and revert back if anything.I'm using icon on att was able to get mms , lte symbol but only 3mbps down 7 up ? I can deal with hsdpa + speeds til the next flagship.

Well that sucks to hear. I guess 8.0 to 8.1 doesn't seem to be a solution.

I take it others in here tried a hard reset/LSRT and the issue was still there?

garbagedrew

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem too with black not being black. On my Icon, I notice it under any lighting. Even in a well-lit room, the screen still doesn't look right. It is glaringly obvious in a dark room with the screen appearing much more red than black. After a few days with Denim, this is the only major issue I am having. My screen initially kept flashing and cutting out after the update but after a night and a couple resets, it quit doing that. Only the black color issue persists. I feel a little let down since I had to wait many months for this update. One would think that in that entire time Microsoft would have had every opportunity to fix every single bug/glitch in their update. Apparently the Icon really is the "black sheep" of the Lumia family with Microsoft not caring to fix a significant bug before the much anticipated release. No wonder Verizon pulled the phone. It's a shame because it could have been the carrier's best device to date had it been properly supported. That aside, I hope MS/Verizon release an update VERY soon to fix the color profiles on all affected Icons.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem too with black not being black. On my Icon, I notice it under any lighting. Even in a well-lit room, the screen still doesn't look right. It is glaringly obvious in a dark room with the screen appearing much more red than black. After a few days with Denim, this is the only major issue I am having. My screen initially kept flashing and cutting out after the update but after a night and a couple resets, it quit doing that. Only the black color issue persists. I feel a little let down since I had to wait many months for this update. One would think that in that entire time Microsoft would have had every opportunity to fix every single bug/glitch in their update. Apparently the Icon really is the "black sheep" of the Lumia family with Microsoft not caring to fix a significant bug before the much anticipated release. No wonder Verizon pulled the phone. It's a shame because it could have been the carrier's best device to date had it been properly supported. That aside, I hope MS/Verizon release an update VERY soon to fix the color profiles on all affected Icons.

At this point we can only hope and wait. Sadly I don't recall anyone having this issue with PfD which the OS version of Denim is exactly the same as PfD was (build date 1/9/2015) so it has to be something in the firmware side of the update that bugged it... Or its something else in the software side with this particular build :(

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
To be more clear to those that are having the issue here:

Were you ON 8.0 when you updated to Denim, OTA or LSRT

OR

Were you on PfD 8.1 and updated OTA or LSRT to Denim?

I was on PfD 8.1 and updated to Denim OTA and I am guessing Dreamspell was also on PfD 8.1 and updated via LSRT and also has the issue.

I am wondering if those that were on 8.0 and did the OTA or LSRT update to Denim have the issue?

I was on 8.1.1 PfD and flashed using LSRT.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I, too, have this issue. I did a clean install via LSRT and my blacks are definitely reddish brown, and I can see it on the lowest brightness setting (I use black backgrounds as a form of battery saver). I can also say that mine isn't uniform, but it fades from true black at the top of the screen to reddish black on the bottom of the screen (portrait). I hope that MS takes notice and pushes out the 930 updates so we can get this resolved quickly and quietly.

~Ex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05