Blacks not black after Denim

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry, it will be like this forever until maybe the Windows 10 preview. It took MS and Verizon almost a whole year to release a buggy update which broke as many things as it fixed.

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
HeHered/
I just bought my icon and am loving it. It's the perfect size. I cracked my 1520 and was fortunate to find the icon for the low of $125. I upgraded from 8.0 to denim have have this issue. My 1520 compared side to side has darker blacks since update to denim ! I was thinking of experimenting with windows 10 , as I have it on the 1520 but don't want to risk it on my daily driver. Anyone willing to? I just might have to and revert back if anything.I'm using icon on att was able to get mms , lte symbol but only 3mbps down 7 up ? I can deal with hsdpa + speeds til the next flagship.

So I took the plunge and downloaded WP10. Black's much better. I see a very little redbrown bc I'm looking for it in a pitch black room and compare it to the boot up screen which is blacker however its not nearly as bad as denim. For some reason when i installed the wp10 it's I received a notification for welcome to cyan. So it has to be the denim update causing this issue. Hope this helps

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Noted this myself last night, in a total dark room, turned on the screen to set my alarm. Normally (Pre-Denim), the screen was so black, I could not even tell it was a screen (only see the ICONS on the screen), now I can see the slight red tint to it...I can say I didn't notice it till last night (as I use Cortana to set my alarm every day, because I am too lasy 1/2 the time)...and I don't see it/hard to see in a bright room.

I don't use Auto on my brightness I set it to medium and leave it there, I'll deal with the minor battery hit to always have the same amount of brightness and color...(as the screen gets dimmer, it loses it's color).

Is there a tweak to get this back to Pre-Denim level?

and I did not upgrade to Denim, I did a full hard reset, reflash and didn't restore a backup...

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all kinds of fixes recommended to me by the Lumia Help team and none of them worked. They have notified the concerned team so I hope to see a display/firmware update to fix it soon.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all kinds of fixes recommended to me by the Lumia Help team and none of them worked. They have notified the concerned team so I hope to see a display/firmware update to fix it soon.

Is there anyway to get all the people here added to the list of people that have the issue?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this too. Didn't at first (dunno if I paid attention "correctly"), but I flashed my Icon with the software tool for Denim to hopefully help with phantom touches/unresponsive touch caused when the phone gets hot (it didn't work). I just sent my Icon to Microsoft for warranty repair.

spcdog

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Though I believe that all Icons are suffering from this issue, it's just that most people haven't noticed it yet.

No, I don't think so. I've been running with Denim since the day it was released, and my display was working exactly as before, no reddish tint at all. Then today I was looking around in settings, and saw the device hub CPL. I had never opened that before, so I tapped it to see what was in there. It popped up a message saying that my phone would reboot to finish installing the app, and then rebooted a couple seconds later on its own. When it finished booting, I immediately noticed this horrible gradient red tint, just like people have pictured here. And all the colors are super washed out now, no matter what I tweak in the display settings.

I also noticed that the boot logos are out of order. Normally it would show the Nokia logo, then the Verizon logo, then the blue Windows logo, then the lock screen. Now the Verizon and Windows logos have switched order. I think this might be part of the problem since the Verizon logo is drawn by the bootloader -- maybe it's screwing up some settings in the panel driver by drawing after the OS's display stack is up?

I really hope this gets fixed soon. The display on the Icon has just been a dismal series of disappointments, and now it's bordering on being a joke in bad taste. I'd throw this thing in the trash without a second thought if there were another halfway decent flagship on Verizon. I love Windows Phone, but the Icon has really plumbed the limits of my patience. :(

spcdog

May 20, 2012
Visit site
And just to be 100% transparent, so people don't think this is some kind of baseless rant:

The display on the Icon has just been a dismal series of disappointments...

Set your brightness to low/auto, go to a dark room, and then go here in the browser (sorry for the lack of a proper link -- stupid spam filter):

www {dot} lagom {dot} nl {slash} lcd-test {slash} contrast.php

Now pan up and down on the webpage, and watch the left end of the green gradient (and by extension the green pixels' effect on the cyan, yellow, and white gradients). The Icon's panel has a serious deficiency where the pixel "on" time for green pixels at low intensity is ridiculously long. I'd estimate somewhere on the order of 200-250ms. So if you ever wondered why there's purplish ghosting around things when you pan at low screen brightness, that's why. :(

Last edited:

supraska

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
No, I don't think so. I've been running with Denim since the day it was released, and my display was working exactly as before, no reddish tint at all. Then today I was looking around in settings, and saw the device hub CPL. I had never opened that before, so I tapped it to see what was in there. It popped up a message saying that my phone would reboot to finish installing the app, and then rebooted a couple seconds later on its own. When it finished booting, I immediately noticed this horrible gradient red tint, just like people have pictured here. And all the colors are super washed out now, no matter what I tweak in the display settings.

This doesn't make sense to me, but since I never opened device hub on Denim I'll gave it a try. The device requested restart and after restart everything is same, the black is good only at boot screen. Since the "red tint" was on my phone before opening an app I really think that you didn't notice it before.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't make sense to me, but since I never opened device hub on Denim I'll gave it a try. The device requested restart and after restart everything is same, the black is good only at boot screen. Since the "red tint" was on my phone before opening an app I really think that you didn't notice it before.

I just find it strange that everything was OK as far as blacks are concerned on 8.0. As I said my friend has a Icon still on 8.0 and his screen operates just fine, mine (denim) has the hue :(

I will try to take a side by side picture... I think even on PfD it was fine, not until Denim did it get this bad...

supraska

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
It's nothing hardware related, it's just firmware problem. I've flashed the phone with 1028.3566.1417.10241 (Black) firmware and blacks was brilliant, on start screen, menus and apps. I'm now back to Denim because faster responding camera and 4k videos, and a purple tint is back. Too bad that Microsoft didn't noticed this before releasing it. It's hard to get update now, I think Microsoft is done with us Icon users.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It's nothing hardware related, it's just firmware problem. I've flashed the phone with 1028.3566.1417.10241 (Black) firmware and blacks was brilliant, on start screen, menus and apps. I'm now back to Denim because faster responding camera and 4k videos, and a purple tint is back. Too bad that Microsoft didn't noticed this before releasing it. It's hard to get update now, I think Microsoft is done with us Icon users.

How did you flash back to black?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I really hope that Microsoft gets this new OS right. They need to have a strong point and it was imaging by Nokia and now this is getting borked also.

I was hoping they would position themselves as the professionals phone whether it's Office suite, PhotoShop, photography, and Windows integration and audio.

I'm going to search uservoice fervently for anything related to this and if anyone wants to link me to where to submit/add to this issue I'll contact them about this also. I'm on my phone so I didn't click through any links just yet.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that the color profile for another Lumia is being loaded. Firmware is very hardware specific. If it's loading the 830 firmware for example which doesn't have the clear black AMOLED, the color profile will be wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte