Blacks not black after Denim

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a replacement icon I got a couple months ago and it has the red tint on the to half of the screen issue. I knew it's there but it's not bad enough like some I've seen for me to send it back to get replacement icon. #4

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
They did another follow-up last night, asking me for some screenshots of my settings and a video of the issue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3nUriBEdsA

I'm wondering if they haven't been able to replicate the issue themselves...

What I've found out is when the phone boots up, the "Nokia" logo is on a jet black background, but when you turn the phone off, the "Goodbye" screen is the tinted black. Try i! That shows me that it's firmware because the Nokia is there from Hardware.

txaggie2016

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just add me to the list -- bought a used Icon when I busted my 928. Had to reset it when I got it using LSRT to Denim and all that. I've had the tint issue since day 1 -- everything exactly as y'all have described it. I'll be following this thread and will post if I discover anything on my own.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
While the red tint is not a hardware issue, there is a pretty severe gradient across my screen that looks to be a hardware issue and was present before I updated it to denim. Gray looks gray on the top half of the screen and purple on the bottom half.

18-24-61-b-17-17-4

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
As of March 19th:

*snip*

Seems like it should have been a simple fix but I guess not. :cry:

Thanks for keeping after them with this. The display is a pile of trash after the Denim update. The colors used to be so vivd and amazing before the update but now all I have are washed out colors and redish blacks. I've been waiting for a fix on this since the day the Denim update dropped.

Last edited:

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
^^ Agreed.

/gripe on

This is really making the phone less-than-desirable to use. If they can't/won't fix the issue, MS needs to let owners know. It wouldn't bother me so much if the discolouration was uniform. At that point I could just adjust the colour back with the sliders. The gradient tint covers 2/3 of my screen and is additionally frustrating as the screen was a gem prior to the Denim update. In addition, it really kills the power-saving features of AMOLED (on top of the already poor colour calibration that the screens suffered from the start.)

I have my brightness manually set to low (approximately 30%) and it helps hide the red, but I lose the outdoor readability features with auto-brightness turned off (effectively rendering it useless outside.) A bandaid more than a fix.

If it isn't fixed soon, I may be forced to look at other phones as an alternative. Which is really unfortunate as this phone is a great device (7/10 for me: penalized for the poor color calibration and lack of SD storage). We'll just have to wait and see if MS can get it sorted, but I am not too hopeful since it is still a problem for MANY 930 owners.

/gripe off

~Ex

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
As of March 19th:

And now they want you to send your phone in - rules out them actually understanding "a gigantic problem affecting every dang 929/930".

Maybe I should send mine next to yours which is still on 8/Black and has luscious colors. :p

Neopassive

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
My last 'conversation' with LumiaHelp and other customer-facing contacts has been disappointing regarding this issue.
It seems their position is we are all either crazy, or magically each of our Icons' color profiles broke during the Denim update by complete coincidence. I am not optimistic this will be fixed.
This is terribly frustrating considering the display is not nearly as attractive with the colors off, and red-black is just awful.
Like the above poster, they keep asking me to send my phone in for a 'fix' which clearly is not the right approach for an obvious software issue.
Hopefully someone can spare a half hour at Lumia/MS to look and verify what we already know... But, again, I fear this issue is abandoned. :unhappy:
In short, fix needed, customer service is attempting to ignore, disappointment building, future=grim.

Last edited:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep - I just tried communicating with WinPhoneSupport. They were as helpful as the sidewalk outside was when I talked to it about the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077