Severe Loss of Bass After Icon Denim Update

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just updated to WP 8.1/Denim on Wednesday night. I started noticing this issue on my phone last night. Basically, there is a massive loss of bass when playing any songs.

To let y'all know the amount of bass loss I'm talking about, I'll explain the scenario in my truck. I have two 10's under the back seat of my truck. Currently if I have the bass turned up to 100%, it still doesn't compare to what it used to be at even 50% when it was working fine. If I put it on 50% now, the bass is non-existent.

I've tried many troubleshooting steps to see if I could figure out the problem. I have custom settings on the equalizer that I turned off and the issue still remains. I turned off all the Dolby settings as well and the issue still remained. I also tried playing music through different apps and I still have the same issue.

To make sure it wasn't an issue with my truck, I plugged in my Surface and played the exact same song and compared the two. It was immediately obvious that the issue is with my phone.

Anyone have a clue what could cause this?!?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Check your audio settings on the phone (settings > audio). When I upgraded to Denim, it reset my audio settings back to the default settings. Both the equalizer and enhancement settings.

Edit: I see you've checked them. Are you connecting via Bluetooth, through the headphone jack, or USB?

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Check your audio settings on the phone (settings > audio). When I upgraded to Denim, it reset my audio settings back to the default settings. Both the equalizer and enhancement settings.

Edit: I see you've checked them. Are you connecting via Bluetooth, through the headphone jack, or USB?

are you playing via bluetooth or just headphone jack? I use bluetooth in my Mazda and havent noticed any difference.

I had been connecting through the headphone jack. That's how I compared the differences with my phone and Surface.

I just tried connecting through Bluetooth, and the bass worked perfectly. So maybe the headphone jack on my phone is bad?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the audio settings that the previous poster said? You have to check with something plugged into the headphone jack to change that outputs settings.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yea i doubt it too, when i had my issue there was a bunch in there and it wouldnt make a full connection so i was only getting mono sound. i doubt it would cause only issues with bass.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's not only you because I noticed that with the speakers in my room that the sound is waaayyy lower after the denim update. I don't like it but its bearable. With headphones or through the phone speaker only you wont notice the difference. Only if using external speakers and sets you will see the difference of sound quality and volume before and after the update. It's a noticeable one too.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It's not only you because I noticed that with the speakers in my room that the sound is waaayyy lower after the denim update. I don't like it but its bearable. With headphones or through the phone speaker only you wont notice the difference. Only if using external speakers and sets you will see the difference of sound quality and volume before and after the update. It's a noticeable one too.

The only difference I have is the bass quality. My sound quality and volume are still identical.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3