still no double tap to wake??

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping the icon would get double tap to wake with the Denim update. I can understand why the icon still doesn't have "glance" it's a hardware restriction, and the 930 doesn't have "glance" but the 930 had double tap to wake.

From my understanding the 930 has double tap to wake because of a software update and I kind of expected the Icon to get this feature of the Denim update.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Was hoping for the same thing. Maybe the 930 had another fix internally to go along with the software fix since it was released months after the icon.

ZezzeX

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
As much as I'd like to blame Verizon, I think Microsoft/Nokia is to blame here. Microsoft develops the software and firmware updates and Verizon pushes it out.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Except the 930 which is identical in every way except LTE bands (and Verizon locking down the APN options) had tap to wake added in before the denim update even. So I'm 99% sure it's still Verizon, because they're big meanies.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
had the 822 with double tap to wake before I went icon.....I don't miss it at all sometimes it was like triple or quadruple tap to wake

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As much as I'd like to blame Verizon, I think Microsoft/Nokia is to blame here. Microsoft develops the software and firmware updates and Verizon pushes it out.

This is mostly true. Verizon does have a say in what goes into the build (i.e. all of its bloatware). It is a Verizon branded phone and they own the network. However, I don't think Verizon would purposely prohibit double tap to wake. They have nothing to gain. I do think they would lock down the APN settings though. This discourages people from buying Verizon handsets and using them on competitors networks reliably. I'm not sure if they are locked down on Android and Apple devices.

I checked my wife's GS5 running Lollipop and couldn't find anything about setting up MMS, just APN settings. Even then I could not set up a manual APN. I can set up an APN on my Icon though. You have to turn it on in SIM+cellular, to set up an APN.

As far as double tap to wake, a little research showed me that there are stability issues with the 930 using double tap. So maybe Microsoft decided not to enable it on the Icon because of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3