Lumia Icon, Denim, NFC SIM, Softcard, and educating VZW staff

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So, one of the features Denim gives you for the Icon is the ability to set up NFC payments through your phone with the Softcard app. This is what I had to do to set it up, along with a side story on how I had to educate Verizon Wireless employees...

1. Download the Softcard app from the Store. Don't run it yet though. You need the new NFC SIM card first.
2. Get the new NFC SIM card from the Verizon Wireless store and have them activate it. The SIM card is free, no charge.
3. Once the SIM is activated, run the Softcard app, and follow the instructions to enroll.
4. Add a credit card or bank card.

So this worked fine. I had to educate the Verizon staff though. The employee who installed and activated my SIM card told me her manager said the NFC card feature would NOT work with my phone. I was disappointed to hear that. So I showed the manager and 2 of his staff how I got NFC pay through Softcard to work, and they were all amazed! One of the employees actually had an Icon in his pocket as his personal phone, and I showed him how to set it up on his phone too!
The manager was very nice, and thanked me for showing him. He said that corporate didn't tell him or his staff about this feature, which of course didn't surprise me. I mean heck, I didn't even see an HTC One M8 on display.

Last edited:

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome! I might have to go in and pick up an NFC SIM. Have you at all used NFC payments for anything?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome! I might have to go in and pick up an NFC SIM. Have you at all used NFC payments for anything?

The ICON came with a secure SIM, Down the Softcard app and set it up, it will tell you if your SIM supports this(it will give you an error if it wont work). Only way you might not have a secure SIM on the ICON you purchaced a used phone and used a old SIM but, I think most of VZW's NANO-SIM that the ICON uses is secure.

Also, for the record, Denim did not add this, it was there before. I used it over a week ago on the DP when I was able to finally install/configure the app.

I did test it over at a McD's, as that was the only place that I go to (don't really go to McD very much) and it did work fine on the DP...

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't get Softcard to activate with my old Sim card. Had to get the new Nfc Sim to get it to work. Didn't know it would work with DP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99