New to Lumia Camera - Question

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

So before Denim I never used the Nokia photo apps, I was plenty happy with the Stock MS Camera....now with the new Lumia Camera 5, I am really, really trying to get myself used to it and prefer it, especially since supposedly Win10 will us it as the default; the current stock may go away entirely, I hear. So far, there are two things about Lumia Camera keeping it from being perfect, and I was wondering if I am missing something in how to use it, or instead what works better given these two gripes. Any thoughts?

One - Tap to Shoot. I used this a lot on the Stock, especially for one handed shots. It seems with LC5, tapping just focuses where you tapped, then you have to tap the camera icon. Or, use the hardware button. Is there any way to simply tap anywhere on the screen and shoot?

Two - Camera roll. I liked a lot on stock flicking from my camera roll right back to the active viewfinder. I can't seem to do this on LC5?

Thanks guys!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we have that option, so you're stuck using either the hardware key or the capture button onscreen.

Doesn't seem like we can flick to the camera roll easily, which makes me sad actually.

Sorry

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, LC5 doesn't have a Tap to Shoot capability. Just tap to focus. You either have to use the physical button or tap the camera icon on the view finder. I'm so used to using the physical button, that I've never given it a thought.

To go to Camera Roll from the camera view finder, just tap the small icon in the upper left corner (while in landscape orientation (sideways)) and it will take you to the most recent photo taken. From there you can zoom in or slide to another photo. It won't take you to a thumbnail view of Camera Roll though. Which would be kind of nice sometimes. One thing I learned is that even though you may exit out of LC5, it is still running in the background. That is why it is so quick to open when you tap the camera button. I'm not sure how this affects battery life though.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, LC5 doesn't have a Tap to Shoot capability. Just tap to focus. You either have to use the physical button or tap the camera icon on the view finder. I'm so used to using the physical button, that I've never given it a thought.

To go to Camera Roll from the camera view finder, just tap the small icon in the upper left corner (while in landscape orientation (sideways)) and it will take you to the most recent photo taken. From there you can zoom in or slide to another photo. It won't take you to a thumbnail view of Camera Roll though. Which would be kind of nice sometimes. One thing I learned is that even though you may exit out of LC5, it is still running in the background. That is why it is so quick to open when you tap the camera button. I'm not sure how this affects battery life though.

Ah, boo. Tap to Shoot is so handy, I hope they put it in when they make LC the default app on W10. The camera roll-flik back to viewfinder should be installed too, also very handy.

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
i have a question about Lumia Camera vs. Lumia Camera Classic.

Does Lumia Camera work on the Icon? It will not launch for me. Screen goes black and then kicks me back to my home screen. Lumia Camera Classic works fine. When people talk about LC5 is that the new "Lumia Camera for denim" or is that "Lumia Camera Classic"?

Is anyone else having an issue with Lumia Camera not working on their Icon?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes LC5 works on the ICON that's the app we're talking about. I uninstalled Lumia classic as soon as updated to Denim. I would do a soft reset if that doesn't work uninstall, soft reset, then re-install LC5.

jmaudi0

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
well this sucks. something is still messed up with my phone. Lumia Camera launched the first time after a restart and fresh install. I messed with the settings and took a test photo. Everything seemed to be working although a little laggy. I closed it and now I can't get it to restart with the camera button or normal app icon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
well this sucks. something is still messed up with my phone. Lumia Camera launched the first time after a restart and fresh install. I messed with the settings and took a test photo. Everything seemed to be working although a little laggy. I closed it and now I can't get it to restart with the camera button or normal app icon.

Try a soft reset again. Also, check your camera settings Settings > applications > photos+camera and double check to ensure Lumia Camera is the default camera app.

If you are still have problems. Then you MAY need to do a hard reset. You could have a corrupted Denim install (it happens). I only recommend a hard reset as a last resort.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Also try settings > applications> photos+camera, scroll down to the "reset camera" button. At one point when my hardware button wouldn't wake the phone, that fixed it.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I can not get the lumia camera to work at all. Tried soft boot and reset a few things. I really do not want to reformat with a hard reset..

I do not have a sim card setup yet and have been using the Icon as a wifi for testing and setup before i move away from my current phone. Do you think that because I do not have the sim card in and setup with my carrier that this could be a problem?

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok, hard reset didnt work either. It was like i did not have the full Denim update or something as the Lumia Camera software did not see that I had Denim installed.

So I just used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool and updated it via connection to my PC. This seems the best way as I was not using any verizon data connections with the phone not using a sim and only running on WiFi.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, hard reset didnt work either. It was like i did not have the full Denim update or something as the Lumia Camera software did not see that I had Denim installed.

So I just used the Lumia Software Recovery Tool and updated it via connection to my PC. This seems the best way as I was not using any verizon data connections with the phone not using a sim and only running on WiFi.

How is it working now? Just out of curiosity, when you originally updated to WP8.1/Denim were you upgrading from WP8.0/Black or WP8.1DP/Black?

LSRT is the only way to completely wipe the phone and start from scratch. A hard reset wipes the data, but just installs what was already there without always overwriting everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism