Nokia Lumia Icon w/Denim New Videos will not play on Windows 7

webguynj

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have updated to Denim firmware and everything seem to be working fine except that videos I have recorded since the update won't play on Windows 7 Media Player v12. I have confirmed the same videos play on Windows 10, Surface 2, and Surface 3 Pro. Old videos (pre-Denim) play fine everywhere.

It doesn't matter whether these are 1080p or 4K videos, neither seem to work on Windows 7. Has anyone else had this issue?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Your Windows 7 machine may be using an older mp4 codec driver that may not be supported after the Denim update, and just needs to be updated. The other machines you mentioned are more recent and more likely to be up to date. Have you tried playing the files with a different media player other than WMP?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You may need to update the CODEC's in Windows 7. When they added 4K video recording they had to update the phones CODEC's as well.

If you are not sure what CODEC is. It means enCOding/DECoding. It is the algorithm used when creating the video file. It controls the audio and video compression levels and quality. Windows 7 was developed and released before 4K recording was released so it may not support 4K video without an update.

Also, you might want to double check to ensure your system's video card supports 4K video. If your video card does not support 4K video, your system will not play the video correctly, or in my case, crash your system if you try to watch a 4K video. I crashed my 6yo desktop running Win8.1 twice before realizing what was happening.

I hope this helps.

webguynj

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The first thing I did was look for latest MS Codec - I saw nothing specific for mp4 or 4K video. I'm well aware of what codecs are, and I appreciate your thoughts on this. I do try to stay away from the 3rd party drivers since this is for an enterprise environment. Searching for "Codec" at download.microsoft.com reveals nothing new since April of last year...

So - other than going 3rd party how is one supposed to support Windows Phone on a Windows supported OS?

temp.png

Last edited:

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Just use VLC on your computer...its always been the best player anyway....it plays anything....even 4k...when your video card doesnt

It just plays choppy/laggy if your system is old

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If you are having problems, you could always try re-encoding the video with Handbrake. It's definitely just a codec problem, but if you don't mind a little lost fidelity and want a smaller file size, handbrake works great. Just makes sure you pass through the audio

yanb

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed ACDSee Pro 6/8 cannot playback videos from Lumia 1520 with Denim, but other video players like VLC work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb