"Double Tap to Wake not currently supported by the Icon": MS Mobile Community Manager

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I posted a thread over in the Microsoft Mobile Lumia forums asking why we didn't get double tap to wake with the 8.1.1/Denim update and I got this response today:

The Double tap to wake feature is currently not supported by the Lumia Icon. If you're all wondering if this will be supported in the future, we cannot confirm at this moment. It is best to regularly check our websites for official announcements: Microsoft Global and Lumia Conversations.

BTW, here's an article with the list of supported features for each phone's model: FAQ - Which features does my Lumia phone support? Regardless of your location, you can use this as your reference. Hope you'll find this helpful.

it doesn't look good that we will ever get DTTW for the Icon imho :unhappy:

I am curious why MS supports DTTW on the 930 but not on the Icon, it's just another mystery that will probably never be solved for this great phone that was never given a chance by MS & Verizon

I am enjoying all the other benefits of 8.1.1/Denim and can live without DTTW on my Icon but I will make sure the next Windows flagship phone I get will support both DTTW and glance

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If you do a search, you'll find that DTTW causes instability in the phone and isn't reliable. Maybe they learned lessons with the 930 and are holding off until they get the bugs ironed out. It's a simple update to push out that doesn't require carrier approval.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
strange I have a friend that got an unlocked 930 a few months ago that he uses on At&t and he never mentioned having any trouble with double tap to wake and I have tried it out on several occasions on his phone and it worked fine

so I don't know if he is lucky with the phone he got or if it is a known problem with DTTW on the 930/Icon

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
No issues with double tap to wake on 930 with denim. Had not read anything about it causing any instability. Guess I'm fortunate so far. Since I'm not much of a camera buff, the double tap to wake and "hey Cortana" are my favorite things about denim.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
strange I have a friend that got an unlocked 930 a few months ago that he uses on At&t and he never mentioned having any trouble with double tap to wake and I have tried it out on several occasions on his phone and it worked fine

so I don't know if he is lucky with the phone he got or if it is a known problem with DTTW on the 930/Icon

I don't think it's limited to the 930. There seems to be problems with other Lumias too. I don't know how wide spread it is though.

Like I said previously. MAYBE this is why we don't have it.

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I wish it worked a bit more consistently. Maybe later updates. Sure comes in handy. I use an LG G2 at work and the "knock on" feature is almost 100%. Glad to see it on my Lumia and hopefully Microsoft will improve it in time.

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
DTTW has no issues on my UK Lumia 930 running Denim. That said I echo what people say above about its consistency. My LG G3 nearly always wakes with two taps whereas the 930 seems a bit hit and miss at times.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I changed the touch sensitivity to "high" and it seems to really improve my success rate with DTTW. I love this feature. One of the reasons I got the 930 instead of the Icon. "Hey Cortana" is something I've become addicted to as well.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
That's a bummer. I was really hoping for Double-tap to wake for my Icon. If they send it out later and it works great, then I can wait. If they send it too soon and it works 50% of the time, then I would probably turn it off. I know there's an issue with the screen memory and the Icon/930, but I'd rather have something that works great and not subpar.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you do a search, you'll find that DTTW causes instability in the phone and isn't reliable. Maybe they learned lessons with the 930 and are holding off until they get the bugs ironed out. It's a simple update to push out that doesn't require carrier approval.

Someone (maybe you) keeps saying this, however I've yet to see any proof anywhere. Obviously it looks like the majority of people including myself haven't had a single issue with DTTW, across multiple Lumia devices. Is it just that some can't reliably do it? Is it just because when they tap they aren't keeping their second tap close enough to where the first tap registered (hint everyone, that's the secret)? What possible reliability issue could there be with this that warrants withholding it? I use it dozens of times a day on my 930, I don't buy this reliability reason in the absence of a lot of proof. I'm not coming after you, just really angry with Verizon about this.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Double-tap to wake up: Lumia 435, 435 Dual SIM, 435 Dual SIM DTV, 520, 520T, 521, 525, 526, 532, 532 Dual SIM, 532 Dual SIM DTV, 535, 535 Dual SIM, 620, 625, 720, 720T, 730 Dual SIM, 735, 820, 830, 920, 920T, 925, 925T, 930, 1020, 1320, and 1520

it is depressing to look at all the Lumias that support DTTW and of course the one glaring omission is the Icon

I can live without DTTW but at least if they are not going to give us the feature give us a reason why but of course MS or Verizon will never tell us anything

* the 822 & 928 not on that list also have DTTW

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Someone (maybe you) keeps saying this, however I've yet to see any proof anywhere. Obviously it looks like the majority of people including myself haven't had a single issue with DTTW, across multiple Lumia devices. Is it just that some can't reliably do it? Is it just because when they tap they aren't keeping their second tap close enough to where the first tap registered (hint everyone, that's the secret)? What possible reliability issue could there be with this that warrants withholding it? I use it dozens of times a day on my 930, I don't buy this reliability reason in the absence of a lot of proof. I'm not coming after you, just really angry with Verizon about this.

Re: Keeping taps close together...you are absolutely right. Works perfectly now. Thank you!

Kieran Coghlan

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
DTTW was working perfectly on my Icon before I up/down-graded to the new Denim firmware. My Icon was a loaner from a friend who used to work for Nokia, so it had a development Denim firmware installed, and DTTW worked just fine. It did not have "hey cortana" or 4K video, but DTTW was there, and no issues at all.

I then installed "preview for developers" which upgraded the OS to a later build, and DTTW still worked (still no "hey cortana" and still no 4K Video though).

Then the official OTA Denim firmware came available. It would not install though, so I had to install the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to "roll back" my firmware to the offical OTA Denim build. Once I did that, I had "hey cortana" and 4K video, but DTTW was (and is) gone.

I have not yet tried to re-install the Preview for Developers. I doubt it will work though, because DTTW is part of the Nokia firmware (AFAIK) not part of the Microsoft OS. But I'll probably try it anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism