04-14-2015 07:50 AM
52 123
tools
    If its another Verizon exclusive, hell freakin noooooo.
    03-05-2015 01:33 PM
    I want to unlock my Icon, ditch Verizon, and keep on keepin' on with the Icon for the camera.
    03-05-2015 01:54 PM
    I want to unlock my Icon, ditch Verizon, and keep on keepin' on with the Icon for the camera.
    It's already unlocked. All Verizon LTE devices are unlocked. Insert the SIM card of pretty much any carrier worldwide and you're good to go.
    03-05-2015 02:01 PM
    Sweet! Then I want to unlock the CONTRACT, ditch Verizon, etc.
    03-05-2015 02:20 PM
    Sweet! Then I want to unlock the CONTRACT, ditch Verizon, etc.
    Sorry, I can't help you with that!

I actually just renewed my 2 year contract with Verizon in November 2014. They have the best service around here (although AT&T is easily good enough here too), and I have an unlimited data plan. I use around 50GB a month. I could get by with less, but my mobile data is faster than the cable internet both at home and at work. I use data freely without thinking about it. My plan isn't cheap, but the convenience of not having to micromanage or even think about data usage is worth a lot to me.
    03-05-2015 02:59 PM
    I am 100% looking to upgrade to a Windows flagship...from Microsoft or from someone else. However, there's only one thing I'm looking for in a flagship which is true all day battery life. All day battery life is something that the Icon does not deliver. Everything else I am content with, so if the next flagship does not offer that, there's no sense in me upgrading. If that is the case, I would be truly disappointed, and either keep my Icon, or even possibly jump ship.
    Wow, and I thought I was demanding on all day battery life! I can see why the Z10 didn't work out for you. Battery life on the Icon is good for me (usually 6:00am to 9:00pm with no charging needed), have you ever owned a phone that has better battery life than the Icon?
    03-05-2015 08:03 PM
    Wow, and I thought I was demanding on all day battery life! I can see why the Z10 didn't work out for you. Battery life on the Icon is good for me (usually 6:00am to 9:00pm with no charging needed), have you ever owned a phone that has better battery life than the Icon?

Z30 did, and so did the 1520, though I didn't use either for very long. A lot of phones out there get better battery life than the Icon. But the Icon/930 was never known for getting very good battery life. That's its only real downfall in my mind.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:11 PM
    No need to if you have an ICON, no other current WP device has better specs to replace it...Even the HTC Wana-be Android Windows Phone device, is not better, sure a little faster/newer CPU but, it lacks in everywhere else compared to the ICON.

Just because a new device is coming at some point with WP10, does not mean Verizon will carry it, as a company Verizon sucks, but, for coverage they are the best. If we were Trophy owners, it took forever to get 1 WP device, then it took forever to get a reasonable replacement for it. And don't get me started on Cyan/Denim...

Unless your going to the dark side...(iOS or Android, as there are a few devices out there that get pretty close if not better than the ICON)
    gmantione likes this.
    03-05-2015 08:44 PM
    Slightly off topic, but there's a loophole where you can upgrade and keep unlimited data. In fact, it extends your contract for 2 years which might be a good thing in this case. I did it last fall. My contract expires on 11/19/2016, I bought an iPhone 6 at a subsidized price (sold it and used the cash for the phone I wanted), and best of all, I still have unlimited data!

You can also use your wife's flip phone line for an upgrade if you do it correctly.
    My line is upgrade eligible summer 2016 ;)

Wife's line is upgrade eligible this summer. HOWEVER -- this fall they changed the rules. Doing the upgrade to smartphone with data, activating, then putting the dumbphone back on will no longer get rid of the data plan. That plan stays for the 2-year term now.

Did you do the BB upgrade loophole?
    03-05-2015 09:37 PM
    Yeah the loopholes are closing. Don't get stuck in one of those. If you do, be sure to undo it within 14 days. Just play by the rules and you'll be fine. Buy at full retail, or do the "Max" plan which gives you 6gb of data for the price of 2.

If that's not enough and you can't offload to Wi-Fi then, yeah keep fighting the good fight, just know it will be difficult since last summer for the reasons stated above. Loopholes still retain that data plan.
    03-05-2015 09:47 PM
    My line is upgrade eligible summer 2016 ;)

Wife's line is upgrade eligible this summer. HOWEVER -- this fall they changed the rules. Doing the upgrade to smartphone with data, activating, then putting the dumbphone back on will no longer get rid of the data plan. That plan stays for the 2-year term now.

Did you do the BB upgrade loophole?
    I used the BB single line trick. Supposedly you can use the transfer method on a dumb phone line as long as you don't actually activate the phone on the dumb phone line. Simply insert your current active SIM card. The data won't go on the dumb phone line.

The loopholes are still there and working. There's a very lengthy thread about it on AndroidCentral. I was actually just as interested in renewing the contract as I was in saving a few hundred dollars on a phone. I figure that if Verizon is going to get rid of unlimited data lines, it won't be as easy to do it to the lines still under contract.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    03-05-2015 09:56 PM
    Sweet. I'll have to check on things in June when my wife's line comes up.

I actually had a 3rd upgrade I got, used sister in laws upgrade (she's another flip phone die hard) and got her a much better plan and saved $25/month to boot.
    03-05-2015 10:00 PM
    Yeah the loopholes are closing. Don't get stuck in one of those. If you do, be sure to undo it within 14 days. Just play by the rules and you'll be fine. Buy at full retail, or do the "Max" plan which gives you 6gb of data for the price of 2.
    Just watch it if your on one of the Unlimited Data plans with Verizon, Just because you sign a new contract and get a refund on it within the 14 days. They no longer have it listed in their system once you lose it or it's taken off your account, it's gone for good.

This happened to my wife who had unlimited and upgraded her phone, then returned it, we put up a fight about it and go no where with it even to upper management.

They can have mine over my dead body, No way I will give up Unlimited Mobile LTE data on the largest best network :)
    03-11-2015 08:39 AM
    Hopefully Microsoft's first flagship is worth the extended amount of time they are taking to release it. I think a better question would have been what do you want to see in Microsoft's first flagship? Whether or not someone will jump from the Icon all comes down to personal preferences. I probably average a new phone every 6 months because I get board and I want to try out all of the newest phones but there are others who keep theirs the full two years and even beyond.
    03-15-2015 06:37 PM
    I'll stick to WP for 10, but I understand those who don't. For me, if Windows 10 brings the app support, WP will be my perfect platform. I came from Android and have a business iPhone 5S. I was burned by Android, having a flagship Motorola that was never updated 6 months after launch. Apple has a lot going for them; I am definitely impressed with their current phones and the app support. That said, the OS UI badly needs a massive overhaul. Very polar opposite of my feelings for WP, with their fantastic UI and poor app support. Lets be honest here, the OS is the most used portion of a smart phone; it's my priority.

So I'm a WP user, depending on Verizon support. My line is currently discounted $25 monthly as I have an upgrade available. It will be hard to justify re-signing any contract, so I may end up buying something used from swappa when the time comes. I'm over a year into the Icon and frankly don't want anything else. I look from time to time, but I know any purchase would be as something fun to use with the Icon as my primary.
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-15-2015 09:46 PM
    I would certainly upgrade to a new flagship on Verizon. MY contract is up in Nov so hopefully one will be announced or released around that time.
    03-16-2015 05:26 PM
    Im actually semi-tempted to try the 640xl for a bit while waiting for a 940 or whatever. My only complaint with the icon is that i sometimes lose signal at my house. i suspect that Telus is using a different gsm band there and my icon is having trouble picking it up.
    03-20-2015 07:53 AM
    Well of course the decision to upgrade to a new flagship phone will depend totally on the specs and design of the flagship when it comes out. Since there's nothing in the rumor mill ( except maybe the Lumia 940) there's nothing to compare the Icon to. But a sleeker design with a more powerful/faster chipset and great battery life would be the basis for my going with something new. Until then, I am very happy with my Lumia Icon. I confirmed that by activating my Motorola Droid Turbo once again and using for a few days. I was so disappointed with it that I'm back on the Icon and knowing just how GREAT it is!
    Sandman2749 likes this.
    03-25-2015 12:49 PM
    I'll be sticking with my Icon, great phone. I do hope that a verizon compatable 640xl comes about though, would make a great backup phone if something happens to my Icon... (accidents do happen)
    04-04-2015 02:13 PM
    as an a american who makes decent money and who is sick of the 100 different budget WP headlines, heck ya im going to get a flagship.
    04-05-2015 10:34 PM
    I don't see a reason to "upgrade" what is by far the best phone I've ever owned. The only reason I ditched my 920 was to switch to Verizon's network.

No contract to worry about either, so there's no financial incentives to drop a perfectly good piece of hardware for something else. I'd have to pay Verizon ~4x what I'm paying now to get more or less the same service on a contract.
    04-06-2015 07:15 AM
    I echo everything said about the Icon in this thread = BEST smartphone I have ever owned. Both the camera, OIS, 4K video, 4 mics, and awesome 1080p AMOLED screen where I can clearly read the smallest of text, graphic and photos. Denim is KILLLER!

And, now that we know we have a Win 10 upgrade path = what's not to like.

Oh yes ... I hate Verizon for dropping the Icon but their 4G LTE is simply too good!

Back in stock at the Microsoft store

Buy Nokia Lumia Icon for Verizon - Microsoft Store
    04-11-2015 11:39 AM
    <snip>Back in stock at the Microsoft store
    For those of us without a contract, you can still get a refurb'd Icon on Ebay for ~$200. Mine looked nearly brand new with maybe a week's worth of wear if you look closely enough.

Definitely better than the $500 the MS store is asking for. I prefer refurbished electronics anyway; it means a real person spent time testing the exact item you'll get.
    04-13-2015 08:27 AM
    I echo everything said about the Icon in this thread = BEST smartphone I have ever owned. Both the camera, OIS, 4K video, 4 mics, and awesome 1080p AMOLED screen where I can clearly read the smallest of text, graphic and photos. Denim is KILLLER!

And, now that we know we have a Win 10 upgrade path = what's not to like.

Oh yes ... I hate Verizon for dropping the Icon but their 4G LTE is simply too good!

Back in stock at the Microsoft store

Buy Nokia Lumia Icon for Verizon - Microsoft Store
    Best phone with the worst battery life. I echo the other commentators who mentioned an all day battery. Building a phone with a battery less than 3000 maH in today's world is simply irresponsible. Bigger, more power hungry displays and processors simply overwhelm a small battery like the Icon's.

I hope they don't make that mistake again.
    04-13-2015 09:00 PM
    I see sentiments like this here a lot, but I don't understand them. How is Verizon any worse than AT&T? Verizon has done much better than AT&T at providing Denim so far. AT&T doesn't currently carry a much better lineup of high end phones than Verizon. Let's not even mention T-Mobile & Sprint and their support for WP. How is Verizon's support any worse than the others? In my opinion they're currently the best!
    04-13-2015 10:04 PM
52 123