Icon owners moving to the Flagship?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am 100% looking to upgrade to a Windows flagship...from Microsoft or from someone else. However, there's only one thing I'm looking for in a flagship which is true all day battery life. All day battery life is something that the Icon does not deliver. Everything else I am content with, so if the next flagship does not offer that, there's no sense in me upgrading. If that is the case, I would be truly disappointed, and either keep my Icon, or even possibly jump ship.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Still have the ICON, but the storage limitation became a problem, so switched to a One M8, with a 128gb micro SD card. If the flagship has the sd card storage, and a super camera, I will be getting it. The ICON is currently my BACKUP phone.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade in October so I'll consider a new phone, mainly b/c of the storage limitations. The battery isn't the best but I average 30+ hrs. per charge so I can live with it "as is". If they release something comparable to the Icon with sd card storage AND better battery life, I'll get it day 1.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, I'm on an old America's Choice II family plan and have unlimited data. No more subsidized upgrades for me. Wife uses a flip phone, so using her line for an upgrade phone is out.

Slightly off topic, but there's a loophole where you can upgrade and keep unlimited data. In fact, it extends your contract for 2 years which might be a good thing in this case. I did it last fall. My contract expires on 11/19/2016, I bought an iPhone 6 at a subsidized price (sold it and used the cash for the phone I wanted), and best of all, I still have unlimited data!

You can also use your wife's flip phone line for an upgrade if you do it correctly.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to unlock my Icon, ditch Verizon, and keep on keepin' on with the Icon for the camera.

It's already unlocked. All Verizon LTE devices are unlocked. Insert the SIM card of pretty much any carrier worldwide and you're good to go.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sweet! Then I want to unlock the CONTRACT, ditch Verizon, etc.

Sorry, I can't help you with that! :wink:

I actually just renewed my 2 year contract with Verizon in November 2014. They have the best service around here (although AT&T is easily good enough here too), and I have an unlimited data plan. I use around 50GB a month. I could get by with less, but my mobile data is faster than the cable internet both at home and at work. I use data freely without thinking about it. My plan isn't cheap, but the convenience of not having to micromanage or even think about data usage is worth a lot to me.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I am 100% looking to upgrade to a Windows flagship...from Microsoft or from someone else. However, there's only one thing I'm looking for in a flagship which is true all day battery life. All day battery life is something that the Icon does not deliver. Everything else I am content with, so if the next flagship does not offer that, there's no sense in me upgrading. If that is the case, I would be truly disappointed, and either keep my Icon, or even possibly jump ship.

Wow, and I thought I was demanding on all day battery life! I can see why the Z10 didn't work out for you. Battery life on the Icon is good for me (usually 6:00am to 9:00pm with no charging needed), have you ever owned a phone that has better battery life than the Icon?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow, and I thought I was demanding on all day battery life! I can see why the Z10 didn't work out for you. Battery life on the Icon is good for me (usually 6:00am to 9:00pm with no charging needed), have you ever owned a phone that has better battery life than the Icon?

Z30 did, and so did the 1520, though I didn't use either for very long. A lot of phones out there get better battery life than the Icon. But the Icon/930 was never known for getting very good battery life. That's its only real downfall in my mind.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No need to if you have an ICON, no other current WP device has better specs to replace it...Even the HTC Wana-be Android Windows Phone device, is not better, sure a little faster/newer CPU but, it lacks in everywhere else compared to the ICON.

Just because a new device is coming at some point with WP10, does not mean Verizon will carry it, as a company Verizon sucks, but, for coverage they are the best. If we were Trophy owners, it took forever to get 1 WP device, then it took forever to get a reasonable replacement for it. And don't get me started on Cyan/Denim...

Unless your going to the dark side...(iOS or Android, as there are a few devices out there that get pretty close if not better than the ICON)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but there's a loophole where you can upgrade and keep unlimited data. In fact, it extends your contract for 2 years which might be a good thing in this case. I did it last fall. My contract expires on 11/19/2016, I bought an iPhone 6 at a subsidized price (sold it and used the cash for the phone I wanted), and best of all, I still have unlimited data!

You can also use your wife's flip phone line for an upgrade if you do it correctly.

My line is upgrade eligible summer 2016 ;)

Wife's line is upgrade eligible this summer. HOWEVER -- this fall they changed the rules. Doing the upgrade to smartphone with data, activating, then putting the dumbphone back on will no longer get rid of the data plan. That plan stays for the 2-year term now.

Did you do the BB upgrade loophole?

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the loopholes are closing. Don't get stuck in one of those. If you do, be sure to undo it within 14 days. Just play by the rules and you'll be fine. Buy at full retail, or do the "Max" plan which gives you 6gb of data for the price of 2.

If that's not enough and you can't offload to Wi-Fi then, yeah keep fighting the good fight, just know it will be difficult since last summer for the reasons stated above. Loopholes still retain that data plan.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My line is upgrade eligible summer 2016 ;)

Wife's line is upgrade eligible this summer. HOWEVER -- this fall they changed the rules. Doing the upgrade to smartphone with data, activating, then putting the dumbphone back on will no longer get rid of the data plan. That plan stays for the 2-year term now.

Did you do the BB upgrade loophole?
I used the BB single line trick. Supposedly you can use the transfer method on a dumb phone line as long as you don't actually activate the phone on the dumb phone line. Simply insert your current active SIM card. The data won't go on the dumb phone line.

The loopholes are still there and working. There's a very lengthy thread about it on AndroidCentral. I was actually just as interested in renewing the contract as I was in saving a few hundred dollars on a phone. I figure that if Verizon is going to get rid of unlimited data lines, it won't be as easy to do it to the lines still under contract.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. I'll have to check on things in June when my wife's line comes up.

I actually had a 3rd upgrade I got, used sister in laws upgrade (she's another flip phone die hard) and got her a much better plan and saved $25/month to boot.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the loopholes are closing. Don't get stuck in one of those. If you do, be sure to undo it within 14 days. Just play by the rules and you'll be fine. Buy at full retail, or do the "Max" plan which gives you 6gb of data for the price of 2.

Just watch it if your on one of the Unlimited Data plans with Verizon, Just because you sign a new contract and get a refund on it within the 14 days. They no longer have it listed in their system once you lose it or it's taken off your account, it's gone for good.

This happened to my wife who had unlimited and upgraded her phone, then returned it, we put up a fight about it and go no where with it even to upper management.

They can have mine over my dead body, No way I will give up Unlimited Mobile LTE data on the largest best network :)

Swens221

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully Microsoft's first flagship is worth the extended amount of time they are taking to release it. I think a better question would have been what do you want to see in Microsoft's first flagship? Whether or not someone will jump from the Icon all comes down to personal preferences. I probably average a new phone every 6 months because I get board and I want to try out all of the newest phones but there are others who keep theirs the full two years and even beyond.

Kleeshay

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'll stick to WP for 10, but I understand those who don't. For me, if Windows 10 brings the app support, WP will be my perfect platform. I came from Android and have a business iPhone 5S. I was burned by Android, having a flagship Motorola that was never updated 6 months after launch. Apple has a lot going for them; I am definitely impressed with their current phones and the app support. That said, the OS UI badly needs a massive overhaul. Very polar opposite of my feelings for WP, with their fantastic UI and poor app support. Lets be honest here, the OS is the most used portion of a smart phone; it's my priority.

So I'm a WP user, depending on Verizon support. My line is currently discounted $25 monthly as I have an upgrade available. It will be hard to justify re-signing any contract, so I may end up buying something used from swappa when the time comes. I'm over a year into the Icon and frankly don't want anything else. I look from time to time, but I know any purchase would be as something fun to use with the Icon as my primary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo