Lumia Icon Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
So I recently ran into an issue with my Icon while Wi-Fi and Bluetooth were active. It have to say it's a little silly and hopefully if someone can verify this issue, please let me know or if this is a known issue.

I got a DT-903 wireless charger about two weeks ago. I started noticing my data has been flying out the window and fast. I turned off my data and noticed I wasn't able to get connected to the internet but my Wi-Fi connection was at the strongest it can get. I switched between the two Wi-Fi connections at work but there was no change: no searching on the phone, apps don't update, email doesn't sync, etc. It took me a week to realize that it had to do with the Bluetooth charger, I knew I was able to get connected before. I turned off my Bluetooth and sure enough, my internet started working again.

I will turn off my Bluetooth for now, so I won't incur any more charges eating up my data. It's unfortunate, though, I won't be able to use the full capacity of the charger. I can live without the notifications and use it as what it really is: a wireless charger.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The DT-903 doesn't actually charge through Bluetooth. It charges using Qi (magnetic fields). The Bluetooth on the DT-903 is only used to communicate with the phone and to let you know that your phones battery is low and it needs charging and provides notification if you missed a call or received an email or text. Bluetooth shouldn't affect the other radios; it uses a completely different set of radio frequencies.

I tried to replicate you problem by turning off my data and leaving Bluetooth and WiFi on; I had no issues getting on the internet via WiFi alone.

If Bluetooth was the culprit then you should be having the same problem anywhere you are using WiFi. Try replicating the same issue on other WiFi hotspots both with and without the DT-903 and see what happens.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response, gernerttl. I do understand how the DT-903 works. :smile:

I remembered a few weeks back I was able to connect to the internet just fine. Today, without my data on, I couldn't search for anything. Cortana didn't show any of my interests or calendar events, no Windows Central articles, etc. The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth seemed to clash, or it was a fluke, while both where on.

I did try it on my iHome alarm clock, which connects via Bluetooth. I don't know if the age of the Bluetooth item matters. The Wi-Fi seems to be working fine with it on. I will have to try it again when I get to work

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome. The age of the Bluetooth device shouldn't matter. Bluetooth is backwards and forwards compatible. Meaning you can pair a BT4 to a BT3 or older and vice versa...

I did a little research and found out that both BT and WiFi actually use the 2.4GHz spectrum. There is potential for one to interfere with the other. It's possible then that the channel(s) your work WiFi is overlapping the BT frequencies. The following link explains how it can happen a whole lot better than I can. It's a 13 year old paper, but I believe still relevant. If your work WiFi has a 5GHz network, then connect to that instead, that would solve the problem.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...WiFi_Bluetooth_coexistance.pdf&token=rhJwKzp6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs