Lumia Icon on FreedomPop?

DTPhoto

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I use the FreedomPop Photon to offset my cellular data usage while at work. It's my own WiFi hotspot, but I can't figure out how to allow podcast and app update downloads at home, but prevent them when on FreedomPop.

As far as whether CDMA will work between Sprint and Verizon...it should, but the Icon is branded as a Verizon exclusive. Can AT&T phones work on T-Mobile? Hardware says yes, carriers...no?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
As far as whether CDMA will work between Sprint and Verizon...it should, but the Icon is branded as a Verizon exclusive. Can AT&T phones work on T-Mobile? Hardware says yes, carriers...no?

GSM and CDMA are two entirely different animals. The reason you can use a T-Mobile branded phone on AT&T is because both networks are GSM. All you need to do is put an activated T-Mobile SIM into the phone. The same applies for AT&T phones on T-Mobile, or any other GSM network.

CDMA is different in that both Spring and Verizon (and every other CDMA network) each have a CDMA key that is unique to each respective network (Sprint's CDMA key is different than Verizon's) That key is baked into the firmware, it is not part of the OS, so you can't remove or change it without specific carrier approval. Both Sprint and Verizon still use CDMA for voice and text, but LTE for data. CDMA phones do not require SIMs to work.

The reason you have a SIM card for Sprint and Verizon is because of LTE. LTE, like GSM, is unlocked and as long as your phone can send/receive on a network's LTE bands AND have an activated SIM for that network your phone will work. That is why the Icon will work on T-Mobile's and AT&T GSM and HSPA+ networks, but not work on their respective LTE networks.

AdilY

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Agree. One major concern though. Although I can use the Icon just fine for voice and data, including SMS, I have not found a way to make MMS work. There are simply not enough setting exposed to properly configure the MMS gateway. That is not the case on LTE Android phones. Sooo, how can the device be unlocked and not support MMS? Did Verizon use a loophole to make it harder for us to switch carriers?
I will keep searching but if anyone knows how to get MMS to work on AT&T,please share.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Agree. One major concern though. Although I can use the Icon just fine for voice and data, including SMS, I have not found a way to make MMS work. There are simply not enough setting exposed to properly configure the MMS gateway. That is not the case on LTE Android phones. Sooo, how can the device be unlocked and not support MMS? Did Verizon use a loophole to make it harder for us to switch carriers?
I will keep searching but if anyone knows how to get MMS to work on AT&T,please share.

Yes, the Icon is unlocked as far as GSM and LTE. Meaning if you can make and receive voice calls, send and receive SMS, and send and receive data on any carrier's network, then yes it is unlocked. MMS is a different animal and the reason the settings are hidden is because the carrier sets that part up automatically when the phone is activated. Some carriers like Telus in Canada set the MMS settings up when you activate on their networks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss