[Rant] I know I'm preaching to the choir here and there's nothing that anyone can really do about it... so think of this as a rant...

After the whole Denim debacle and subsequent retiring of the Icon from Verizon, I was finally feeling a little better about my investment once Denim was finally released. I am loving the new Lumia Camera 5 features (the primary use of my phone aside from typical communication functions) and then Microsoft pulls the Icon (and 930) from getting the Windows 10 preview because of a scaling issue. I know that this is pre-release software and I DO understand that the scaling would have made it difficult to use, but its just the fact that we are yet again getting skipped over for something that would be available for 99% of Lumia devices out there. Again I love the Lumia apps like Lumia Camera 5 and everything else works fine, but man feeling like a second class citizen here still...God help us if they release a new firmware version and we have to wait on Verizon/Microsoft on that...

Oh and my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so almost same situation and same result...

A.

[/Rant]
    04-13-2015 03:33 PM
    [Rant] I know I'm preaching to the choir here and there's nothing that anyone can really do about it... so think of this as a rant...

After the whole Denim debacle and subsequent retiring of the Icon from Verizon, I was finally feeling a little better about my investment once Denim was finally released. I am loving the new Lumia Camera 5 features (the primary use of my phone aside from typical communication functions) and then Microsoft pulls the Icon (and 930) from getting the Windows 10 preview because of a scaling issue. I know that this is pre-release software and I DO understand that the scaling would have made it difficult to use, but its just the fact that we are yet again getting skipped over for something that would be available for 99% of Lumia devices out there. Again I love the Lumia apps like Lumia Camera 5 and everything else works fine, but man feeling like a second class citizen here still...God help us if they release a new firmware version and we have to wait on Verizon/Microsoft on that...

Oh and my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so almost same situation and same result...

A.

[/Rant]
    Trust me, the preview is not worth it. You will get the next build. (Hopefully it's way better)
    04-13-2015 03:47 PM
    You ain't missing much. It's buggy as hell, not smooth, not fully functional. I am not using it on my daily phone and on my spare, I haven't touched it in a day already.
    antonius138 likes this.
    04-13-2015 03:54 PM
    Again I love the Lumia apps like Lumia Camera 5 and everything else works fine, but man feeling like a second class citizen here still...God help us if they release a new firmware version and we have to wait on Verizon/Microsoft on that...
    Unless this is a test phone, you don't 10 anyways right now. If it's a daily driver, be very happy with Denim, and call it good for now.

Second class citizen? You own what is arguably the best Windows phone available, with the best combination of performance, screen, size, and camera.

And that makes you feel second class?
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    04-13-2015 04:15 PM
    Second class citizen? You own what is arguably the best Windows phone available, with the best combination of performance, screen, size, and camera.

And that makes you feel second class?
    I read the reviews on this build and see the issues that it has presented and I have no problems working around or through those issues, its the timing on things. The fact that I don't yet get to test those bugs that makes the Icon feel sort of like an afterthought. Its not that what is available isn't already good (see earlier comments on camera). Its just the time it has taken to get these updates to the Icon first with Denim and now being passed over for the first round of W10 just feels like more of the same. Would I trade my Icon for any other phone out there right now? Not at all, because I do feel it has everything I need and works better than anything I have owned before.

Do I think that the next build will be much better and I will be happy to have waited? I think the next build will be better than this one, but as someone who likes to test products out and be a part of making them better, its just the point of getting things after pretty much everyone else has had the opportunity that makes me as an Icon owner, feel like a second class citizen and it was just a rant. Make sense? Am I alone in this line of thinking?
    04-13-2015 05:35 PM
    #FirstWorldProblems
    mtalinm, lcpljones and antonius138 like this.
    04-13-2015 05:39 PM
    its just the point of getting things after pretty much everyone else has had the opportunity that makes me as an Icon owner, feel like a second class citizen and it was just a rant. Make sense? Am I alone in this line of thinking?
    I bought a 635 for this purpose, as opposed to taking a chance on wrecking my daily, which was a 930 until last week.
    04-13-2015 06:16 PM
    #FirstWorldProblems
    Haha very true, its nice to be able to complain about this type of stuff...
    04-13-2015 06:29 PM
    Am I alone in this line of thinking?
    Yes
    P1ng0fDeath likes this.
    04-13-2015 10:29 PM
    Thanks to those who had a real reply and pointed out that while the waits are frustrating/disappointing, the Icon is still a great phone. I like everyone here has the right to rant from time to time...
    A.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-13-2015 11:43 PM
    I would have liked to see Update 2 available. I probably would have finally updated off of WP8 for BT device support.
    04-14-2015 10:26 AM
    I would have liked to see Update 2 available. I probably would have finally updated off of WP8 for BT device support.
    I did ask Gabe Aul to confirm if the scaling issues present in the current W10 build are present in Update 2 but have not heard back yet. It was interesting the Update 2 was rolling out initially for the 930 and then Microsoft disabled it so I am thinking that it did not have the scaling issue.

Hope the build that they seed to the Icon will not be as buggy as with other devices.

A.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-14-2015 01:53 PM
    Can confirm, Antonius138 is alone in thinking this.
    04-15-2015 01:02 PM
    We were the first to get the full version of Denim. I don't see the rush to get a buggy alpha
    04-16-2015 01:22 AM
    I was anxious to try the TP on my Icon but I'm also not anxious to possibly have to read my phone with a jewelers loop either. I'm personally glad that MS was thoughtful enough to disable the download on my end. Can't test anything if you can't see it. Just my 2 cents.. Lol I can wait for the next build hehe.
    antonius138 likes this.
    04-16-2015 09:19 AM
    I was anxious to try the TP on my Icon but I'm also not anxious to possibly have to read my phone with a jewelers loop either. I'm personally glad that MS was thoughtful enough to disable the download on my end. Can't test anything if you can't see it. Just my 2 cents.. Lol I can wait for the next build hehe.
    Totally with you...disappointed for the first pass (the real point of my article) but after what others have reported here and elsewhere sounds like it is for the best as you mentioned. I use OneNote religiously on my SP3 and on the go, and it would have been a real pain point if that wasn't working on this last build.

A.
    04-20-2015 02:26 PM
    Can confirm, Antonius138 is alone in thinking this.
    What a thoughtful and well thought out reply! Good for you!
    04-20-2015 02:31 PM
    I've felt like this on and off so you are not alone,..
    As for asking Gabe, If you tweeted him, don't expect a reply. I heard recently that he receives close to 1000 tweets a day. Would be almost impossible to keep up with THAT mess.
    antonius138 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-20-2015 05:05 PM
    I've felt like this on and off so you are not alone,..
    As for asking Gabe, If you tweeted him, don't expect a reply. I heard recently that he receives close to 1000 tweets a day. Would be almost impossible to keep up with THAT mess.
    You nailed it with the off and on..it has felt that way with this device in particular since I bought it. Again, it is pretty stable as it is now and I am able to do everything I need to do especially with the camera.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2015 01:25 AM