No more replacement icons

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So I went into the ms store yesterday as my icon is having a few hardware issues, but the are no longer available for replacement. They happily offered me an m8, but all the talk about the camera obviously has me a little gun shy. The didn't completely suggest waiting for a new phone to come out, but as the phone is mostly operable at the time, it is an option. I have the extended warrantee and another year left. So, long and short of it.....do I wait for a new flagship, or do I switch to the m8? Opinions....thoughts?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Next time, if possible, never buy carrier-specific phones only.

Verizon users don't really have that luxury.

As someone with an extended warranty - I've been wondering about this problem as well. I wonder if they will offer trading in a busted Icon under warranty for the new flagship.

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This manager at least sounded like they would be more than willing to swap for a new flagship as the camera is so different between the icon and the m8. I am not sure I want to wait 5 months or whatever it takes for Verizon to get and approve a new phone though. I might wait to hear more about w10 release date before I make a decision. I can probably sneak a little longer with this phone or use my old 928. Here's hoping for a new flagship right quick though.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The manager is the one that confirmed it. It has been discontinued from their store. :/

Maybe you could order a sim free phone or you could get an Icon from another provider unlock it and pop your sim inside.
Worth while shopping at another store connected to your operator.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you could order a sim free phone or you could get an Icon from another provider unlock it and pop your sim inside.
Worth while shopping at another store connected to your operator.
No other provider sold the Icon beside Verizon.

Verizon will not activate any device on their network that does not have Verizon branding. They use a database of ESN's/MEID's and a device must be listed in that database in order to be activated.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
No other provider sold the Icon beside Verizon.

Verizon will not activate any device on their network that does not have Verizon branding. They use a database of ESN's/MEID's and a device must be listed in that database in order to be activated.

Ah I see. Can you get the icon online? That's the problem with operator specific phones. When they are gone they are truly gone.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. I don't have Verizon. That's true!

Its amazing in this world of phones like we are swimming in them and the operator specific phones cause some to become obsolete. Its sad for those in this Gentleman's predicament. Pity Verizon didn't hold a few back for replacement purposes.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its amazing in this world of phones like we are swimming in them and the operator specific phones cause some to become obsolete. Its sad for those in this Gentleman's predicament. Pity Verizon didn't hold a few back for replacement purposes.
This is mostly a problem in the US. Countries in Europe and Asia are much better in terms of availability of phones, especially unlocked phones.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This is mostly a problem in the US. Countries in Europe and Asia are much better in terms of availability of phones, especially unlocked phones.

Here is hoping that this resolves itself. Surely he could get onto Nokia and see would they ship one to his store and let Verizon sort out the network related stuff. Nokia surely would have some.

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I will see what they can do. Honestly Microsoft has been great to deal with, just sad they don't have replacements easily available. I will call in today.

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
They seem to have come and gone a few times. From talking more with the manager today it sounds like they are recalling stock and selling it centrally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo