05-14-2015 08:23 AM
38 12
tools
    So I went into the ms store yesterday as my icon is having a few hardware issues, but the are no longer available for replacement. They happily offered me an m8, but all the talk about the camera obviously has me a little gun shy. The didn't completely suggest waiting for a new phone to come out, but as the phone is mostly operable at the time, it is an option. I have the extended warrantee and another year left. So, long and short of it.....do I wait for a new flagship, or do I switch to the m8? Opinions....thoughts?
    04-19-2015 12:31 PM
    Icon is out of stock :/ Great... I've been thinking about getting one
    04-19-2015 01:00 PM
    I think you may have gotten a lazy sales person ... Icons have been available on and off, but mostly ON for some time now - IF they have them NEW, then they must have replacements!

Buy Nokia Lumia Icon for Verizon - Microsoft Store
    ven07 likes this.
    04-19-2015 02:33 PM
    The manager is the one that confirmed it. It has been discontinued from their store. :/
    04-19-2015 10:34 PM
    Next time, if possible, never buy carrier-specific phones only.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-19-2015 10:38 PM
    Next time, if possible, never buy carrier-specific phones only.
    Verizon users don't really have that luxury.

As someone with an extended warranty - I've been wondering about this problem as well. I wonder if they will offer trading in a busted Icon under warranty for the new flagship.
    04-19-2015 11:28 PM
    This manager at least sounded like they would be more than willing to swap for a new flagship as the camera is so different between the icon and the m8. I am not sure I want to wait 5 months or whatever it takes for Verizon to get and approve a new phone though. I might wait to hear more about w10 release date before I make a decision. I can probably sneak a little longer with this phone or use my old 928. Here's hoping for a new flagship right quick though.
    Laura Knotek and ven07 like this.
    04-20-2015 01:10 AM
    The manager is the one that confirmed it. It has been discontinued from their store. :/

Maybe you could order a sim free phone or you could get an Icon from another provider unlock it and pop your sim inside.
    Worth while shopping at another store connected to your operator.
    04-20-2015 01:14 AM
    Maybe you could order a sim free phone or you could get an Icon from another provider unlock it and pop your sim inside.
    Worth while shopping at another store connected to your operator.
    No other provider sold the Icon beside Verizon.

Verizon will not activate any device on their network that does not have Verizon branding. They use a database of ESN's/MEID's and a device must be listed in that database in order to be activated.
    04-20-2015 01:23 AM
    No other provider sold the Icon beside Verizon.

Verizon will not activate any device on their network that does not have Verizon branding. They use a database of ESN's/MEID's and a device must be listed in that database in order to be activated.

Ah I see. Can you get the icon online? That's the problem with operator specific phones. When they are gone they are truly gone.
    04-20-2015 01:26 AM
    Ah I see. Can you get the icon online?
    I don't know. I don't have Verizon.
    That's the problem with operator specific phones. When they are gone they are truly gone.
    That's true!
    ven07 likes this.
    04-20-2015 01:29 AM
    I don't know. I don't have Verizon. That's true!

Its amazing in this world of phones like we are swimming in them and the operator specific phones cause some to become obsolete. Its sad for those in this Gentleman's predicament. Pity Verizon didn't hold a few back for replacement purposes.
    04-20-2015 01:32 AM
    Its amazing in this world of phones like we are swimming in them and the operator specific phones cause some to become obsolete. Its sad for those in this Gentleman's predicament. Pity Verizon didn't hold a few back for replacement purposes.
    This is mostly a problem in the US. Countries in Europe and Asia are much better in terms of availability of phones, especially unlocked phones.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-20-2015 01:34 AM
    This is mostly a problem in the US. Countries in Europe and Asia are much better in terms of availability of phones, especially unlocked phones.

Here is hoping that this resolves itself. Surely he could get onto Nokia and see would they ship one to his store and let Verizon sort out the network related stuff. Nokia surely would have some.
    ven07 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-20-2015 01:37 AM
    Its still being sold on the Microsoft store.
    Here
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=WXrmFxp9
    ven07 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-20-2015 01:40 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. I will see what they can do. Honestly Microsoft has been great to deal with, just sad they don't have replacements easily available. I will call in today.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-20-2015 09:25 AM
    Its still being sold on the Microsoft store.
    Here
    Is this a recent change? I distinctly remember the Icon being pulled from the Microsoft Store.
    04-20-2015 10:20 AM
    They seem to have come and gone a few times. From talking more with the manager today it sounds like they are recalling stock and selling it centrally.
    04-20-2015 11:44 AM
    Is this a recent change? I distinctly remember the Icon being pulled from the Microsoft Store.

I just typed into google Nokia icon for Verizon and that's the page I found. Says nothing about what's left in stock. Seems recent to me.
    04-20-2015 04:21 PM
    I think you may have gotten a lazy sales person ... Icons have been available on and off, but mostly ON for some time now - IF they have them NEW, then they must have replacements!

I just checked again ... STILL available! I had a 928 previously and the Lumia ICON is simply the best Windows Phone out there!

It's still available Online!
    ven07 likes this.
    04-20-2015 05:12 PM
    On my Lumia ICON ... I have Lumia 8.1 DENIM + 1080p 1920 x 1080 pixel display, 20 MP OIS Carl Zeiss optics camera. 4 mics, 4K VIDEO RECORDING ... and "upgradeable to Windows Phone 10"!

Don't get suckered in to ANY other option besides "Lumia = NOW Microsoft" !
    wpn00b and ven07 like this.
    04-20-2015 05:15 PM
    Looks like you really enjoy your Icon :P. I like mine as well, hence the hesitation of going with the M8 replacement. Build is in 8 days...maybe they can give me some hope to hold out. I mean, my phone does work through Bluetooth.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-20-2015 05:33 PM
    Looks like you really enjoy your Icon :P. I like mine as well, hence the hesitation of going with the M8 replacement. Build is in 8 days...maybe they can give me some hope to hold out. I mean, my phone does work through Bluetooth.
    Good luck getting it replaced eventually. I just got an Icon and love it. Bought two off of a friend. Don't forget eBay and other second hand options. Mine is like new and incredible.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-22-2015 12:10 AM
    So I went into the ms store yesterday as my icon is having a few hardware issues, but the are no longer available for replacement. They happily offered me an m8, but all the talk about the camera obviously has me a little gun shy. The didn't completely suggest waiting for a new phone to come out, but as the phone is mostly operable at the time, it is an option. I have the extended warrantee and another year left. So, long and short of it.....do I wait for a new flagship, or do I switch to the m8? Opinions....thoughts?
    I would try and wait it out for the new Flagship. The M8 is so buggy.
    ven07 and lcpljones like this.
    04-22-2015 03:33 PM
    I needed to warranty my ICON last fall after dropping my phone and all they had was white when I had black.
    (the Assurion warranty program that is).
    No big deal I use a otterbox and you can't tell what color the phone is anyway.
    So I had that phone a few months when the charging port took a crap.
    When I called Assurion that time they had NO MORE ICON phones and offered an M8 or an older Attiva or whatever the phone is from Samsung or whatever.
    I did not want either phone and was getting upset.

Then the guy offered a REFURBISHED phone as an alternative which is something they usually don't do. I guess they usually just send out NEW phones.
    Anyway I took that rather than switching phones.

The bad thing about switching to an HTC etc is losing the LUMIA applications including Nokia Mix Radio service.

If you can't get a phone new or refurbished then the next thing I would so is look for a used one in good condition on Craigslist, etc.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-23-2015 07:09 PM
38 12