Lumia Icon vs 930 for use on AT&T

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what feature I lose or gain between the two for use on AT&T/Cricket

Lumia Icon apparently gets LTE in some areas on ATT/Cricket? and LTE+MMS on T-Mobile with Denim, so what about AT&T?

How does the 930 do on AT&T

I am lost

Phone is indeed a beauty ( a diet wouldn't hurt though )
:grin:

Nokia-Lumia-930_12.jpg

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Using 930 with a Straight Talk AT&T sim. No LTE. Data and mms work perfectly. Not sure.about internet sharing because it's not possible with ST. I'm assuming it will work the same thru AT&T as it does on the mvno.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure you lose MMS with an Icon on ATT.

On either phone, you will get LTE speeds. Outside of the LTE speeds, everything works perfectly on ATT with the 930. With the Icon, I believe everything works fine except you can't receive MMS. There's a few threads here - maybe someone figured it out by now, or maybe it's just not possible on Verizon phones to get MMS on ATT.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure you lose MMS with an Icon on ATT.

On either phone, you will get LTE speeds. Outside of the LTE speeds, everything works perfectly on ATT with the 930. With the Icon, I believe everything works fine except you can't receive MMS. There's a few threads here - maybe someone figured it out by now, or maybe it's just not possible on Verizon phones to get MMS on ATT.

So your saying with denim the 930 gets LTE AND MMS on AT&T while the Icon doesn't get either?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
As Mary said, no LTE with either.

I had a 930 for awhile (about 6 months). It was, easily, the best phone I've ever owned, tested, or seen in person. It was absolutely fantastic. However, for me, lack of LTE was troubling, mostly while traveling. I tether my phone to my Surface to do work on, and I had a proposal that I was trying to submit electronically, and it was taking forever w/o LTE.

If I wasn't concerned about a situation like that again, I'd still have it. But, I found that I needed LTE more than I expected to, so I went with a 830.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
As Mary said, no LTE with either.

I had a 930 for awhile (about 6 months). It was, easily, the best phone I've ever owned, tested, or seen in person. It was absolutely fantastic. However, for me, lack of LTE was troubling, mostly while traveling. I tether my phone to my Surface to do work on, and I had a proposal that I was trying to submit electronically, and it was taking forever w/o LTE.

If I wasn't concerned about a situation like that again, I'd still have it. But, I found that I needed LTE more than I expected to, so I went with a 830.

Why not the 1520? Too big?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Initially, that was my thought (too big). I am considering it. I have a 1520 inbound, and a new screen assembly sitting here waiting for it. So, after I do that replacement, I may do some extended testing, to see if I can live with the size of it or not.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I know the international model of the 930 isn't compliant with any US LTE frequencies, but are there any CV that use US LTE bands? Possibly Argentina?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Initially, that was my thought (too big). I am considering it. I have a 1520 inbound, and a new screen assembly sitting here waiting for it. So, after I do that replacement, I may do some extended testing, to see if I can live with the size of it or not.

I would definitely encourage you to try it. The 1520 is an AMAZING device, and that screen is just so beautiful.. but using a case really helps dealing with the phone's size IMO as it adds grip, along with protection, because the bigger they are, the harder they fall sadly..

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So your saying with denim the 930 gets LTE AND MMS on AT&T while the Icon doesn't get either?

Yes it will work with AT&T's GSM/HSPA+ network and not with any US LTE networks because of the differences in bands. As for MMS, it should work for the 930; the problem with the Icon on AT&T and T-Mobile's networks is that Verizon locked down the APN settings. There are a couple threads about how some people have gotten the Icon to work on AT&T, there are even a few who have gotten it to work on AT&T's LTE network, but those are few and far between.

As for speeds... HSPA+ is almost as fast as LTE. The reason why HSPA+ lost out to LTE worldwide was that LTE has more potential for expansion and a higher overall potential data throughput.

I know the international model of the 930 isn't compliant with any US LTE frequencies, but are there any CV that use US LTE bands? Possibly Argentina?

There is no US model of the 930. It is ONLY international.

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I own a icon and LTE works if you are lucky to be in a city that att supprts same bands. Chicago is one of them. I get 20 Mb, mms works too. You javeto adjust settings

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
So essentially

Icon- SMS, MMS, and occasional LTE

while

930-SMS, MMS, and no LTE at all

This is what I am getting from the responses of people using these devices :/

If that's the case then the ICON is the clear winner, especially being that it's like $200 cheaper than a brand new 930

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So essentially

Icon- SMS, MMS, and occasional LTE

while

930-SMS, MMS, and no LTE at all

This is what I am getting from the responses of people using these devices :/

If that's the case then the ICON is the clear winner, especially being that it's like $200 cheaper than a brand new 930

I'm running a 930 on AT&T and yes to SMS, MMS working and LTE not. Before hand I couldn't find anyone saying the ICON would get LTE on AT&T, but I might have not dug deep enough. I also chose the 930 over the ICON because I wanted the Orange model and I'm not to fond of the Verizon branding on the phone.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I use 930 on cricket when staying in US. Indonesian variant. HSDPA only. MMS isn't working.

But MMS seems work with my Telkomsel SIM via Roaming

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb