The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    I'm having a new issue. Sometimes I lose the data connection and I have to turn on and off airplane mode
    Ara Carrano likes this.
    12-12-2015 04:30 PM
    You're not the only one. Many times I will be stuck on 3G and have to cycle Airplane mode to get LTE back. Another issue "Wifi Sense" will try to connect to a public AP when I am in the middle of using LTE. Not always a graceful handoff.
    12-13-2015 10:48 PM
    Use the Windows Device recovery tool.
    12-13-2015 10:53 PM
    Made a second attempt last night after having the sad face show up three weeks ago when I tried to update to the preview W10m. This time, the update was much smoother, although it took a long time. Things seem to be working just fine. I was ready to leave Verizon for the 950 with either att or tmobile, but I just can't cut the cord on unlimited data. We'll see how I feel after I pay the additional fee for the unlimited that Verizon warned was coming.

Is anyone on ATT? Do their call drop as often as I heard?

Also, does continuum only work on the 950/950xl or can I use it with my icon now that it is running windows 10 m?

This is the longest I have ever owned a phone, but really, it is a great phone that gives you an incredible amount of choices when setting up your home page. I like it a lot.
    12-14-2015 08:07 PM
    Also, does continuum only work on the 950/950xl or can I use it with my icon now that it is running windows 10 m?
    As far as I know, Continuum only works on the 950/950XL...for now...
    12-15-2015 01:41 PM
    As far as I know, Continuum only works on the 950/950XL...for now...
    That is a FACT. Continuum is only on the 950 and 950XL models. It is NOT available on the ICON/930. They do not have the hardware support for it (how true that is, who knows) this was per Microsoft (was asked about last flagships directly...930 and 1520)

The BIG question...and may I add, the MILLION DOLLAR question.... Will Verizon provide Windows Phone 10 for the Nokia ICON/929 ? My magic eight ball says "No"....sigh more crap from Verizon..

Is anyone on ATT? Do their call drop as often as I heard?.
    I am not on AT&T but, about 10 years ago, AT&T sucked in most areas, it's a different world, Even TMOUS is pretty good in some areas.

I would talk to people you know that have AT&T and even think about getting a Pre-paid phone to use for a week or 2...if you really have to know if they are that bad where you use it

......but I just can't cut the cord on unlimited data. We'll see how I feel after I pay the additional fee for the unlimited that Verizon warned was coming.
    I got my bill the other day.....bastards... $50 a month for unlimited data ? I use a MAX of 12gb per month (adv about 4-8), so if I went around looking for a 15gb plan, something I know I would never go over. I would be well over $100 a month for data, I might shop around and be at $85 or so (and that would be a good deal for a metered plan).

$50 is not that bad if you think about it that way... Just wish I had the tethering option...
    12-15-2015 07:53 PM
    That is a FACT. Continuum is only on the 950 and 950XL models. It is NOT available on the ICON/930. They do not have the hardware support for it (how true that is, who knows) this was per Microsoft (was asked about last flagships directly...930 and 1520)
    The only reason is because of USB-C. USB 2.0 wasn't designed to handle what Continuum is capable of doing.
    12-16-2015 03:43 PM
    hey bud for your apps that are,,,,,but are not actually there because they didnt fully uninstall or fully install....just go to the store and click to re download it. thats what i did. then i deleted some after reinstall
    12-17-2015 05:29 AM
    just go to the store and reinstall the apps. then uninstall them if you want and they will be removed correctly
    12-17-2015 05:31 AM
    my phone just picked up 10586.36 a few minutes ago. Have to see what's under the covers
    Microsoft releases Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.36 for Insiders ? WinBeta
    12-17-2015 04:42 PM
    The only reason is because of USB-C. USB 2.0 wasn't designed to handle what Continuum is capable of doing.
    Do you know that for a FACT ? (with proof to backup that statement)

Anyway about it, Microsoft did public say that NO CURRENT Windows Phone devices could support Continuum, and they were ASKED directly about the last flagships, 930 (ICON same thing), and 1520...was clearly said no.

If it is USB-C, due to the speeds, maybe but, it does not matter unless some 3rd party hacks it in with questionable performance.

After Microsoft requiring Office 365 to use Office in Continuum, it's a failure anyway. I am not going to pay extra just to use a Microsoft phone with a Microsoft app... Just so I can edit word and excel docs...

I wanted Continuum, I really did but, after Microsoft is going to be charging for office use, I no longer have a desire to use it... even if I had a 950XL, I don't think I would even touch it because of that.

Great way for Microsoft to screw up Windows Phone..that already has a 2-3% marketshare in the US.... Smart move Microsoft...
    12-17-2015 07:31 PM

Anyway about it, Microsoft did public say that NO CURRENT Windows Phone devices could support Continuum, and they were ASKED directly about the last flagships, 930 (ICON same thing), and 1520...was clearly said no.

If it is USB-C, due to the speeds, maybe but, it does not matter unless some 3rd party hacks it in with questionable performance.

After Microsoft requiring Office 365 to use Office in Continuum, it's a failure anyway. I am not going to pay extra just to use a Microsoft phone with a Microsoft app... Just so I can edit word and excel docs...

I wanted Continuum, I really did but, after Microsoft is going to be charging for office use, I no longer have a desire to use it... even if I had a 950XL, I don't think I would even touch it because of that.

Great way for Microsoft to screw up Windows Phone..that already has a 2-3% marketshare in the US.... Smart move Microsoft...
    Even though I'd rather pay for service (Microsoft) instead of being a data mining resource (Google), you'd think MS would offer this for free to help promote sales of Windows phone.
    12-18-2015 08:37 AM
    Yes, I do. Just Google (or Bing) USB C and USB 2.0 specs. You'll see there is a HUGE difference.
    12-19-2015 02:53 AM
    Even though I'd rather pay for service (Microsoft) instead of being a data mining resource (Google), you'd think MS would offer this for free to help promote sales of Windows phone.
    With Microsoft sitting at like 2.5% in the US, CHARGING to use a feature on a phone is really bad for business. Google does data mining but, 95% of the people wont see that, they will see they don't have to pony up a credit card to use a feature.

I OWN office 2016(paid for), I am not signing up for a monthly charge to use a piece of software on my computer or phone.

And I feel a good chunk of users will see it the way I did, causing a problem in the long term for Windows Phone.

In the long run, it just hurts the users, more people WONT buy a WP device, that means less sales numbers and means less apps. Make a cool feature on a phone allow people to use it, don't charge extra for it.

Yes, I do. Just Google (or Bing) USB C and USB 2.0 specs. You'll see there is a HUGE difference.
    Not talking about speed differences, we all know that (or at least we should), if that was the official ready why no devices will get that feature FROM MICROSOFT. I understand it's a CPU/GPU based thing but, what do I know...

At least the ICON will get official Windows 10 mobile update...batch 3 (the last of the batches) but, it's not on the official not going to get list....Thank god....

Official Windows 10 Mobile eligible devices list

Official Windows 10 Mobile eligible devices list has batches of devices receiving the update | Nokiapoweruser

(if you follow it, you can download the official doc from Microsoft on it)
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 12-19-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    12-19-2015 11:14 AM
    Not talking about speed differences, we all know that (or at least we should), if that was the official ready why no devices will get that feature FROM MICROSOFT. I understand it's a CPU/GPU based thing but, what do I know...
    I'm not talking just about speed either.

"What Else Does it Support?

The USB-C connector supports DisplayPort, HDMI, power, USB, and VGA. Notably absent is Thunderbolt, which is superseded by USB-C, just like FireWire was replaced by Thunderbolt. USB-C-to-Ethernet is a no-brainer, but you may have to daisy chain an older USB-to-Ethernet adapter to your USB-C adapter for the time being."

What Is USB-C? An Explainer | PCMag.com

If it was all about the SoC (CPU and GPU), then my HTC One M9 would be Continuum capable since it's SoC is identical to the 950XL. But, it's not because it is USB 2.0 with a Micro USB Type B connector.

In the next year or two all new tablets, phones, and even laptops will be USB-C.

At least the ICON will get official Windows 10 mobile update...batch 3 (the last of the batches) but, it's not on the official not going to get list....Thank god....

Official Windows 10 Mobile eligible devices list

Official Windows 10 Mobile eligible devices list has batches of devices receiving the update | Nokiapoweruser

(if you follow it, you can download the official doc from Microsoft on it)
    Will Microsoft be pushing it out; or Verizon? If Microsoft were smart, it would use the same process Apple uses. Get the update approved then push the update themselves.
    12-19-2015 05:23 PM
    They're pushing out Win 10 updates to the 950 and 950XL. As long as nothing requires new firmware I think we're okay. I'll hang on to my Icon for a bit longer. It's running Win 10 beautifully.
    12-20-2015 08:51 AM
    Will Microsoft be pushing it out; or Verizon? If Microsoft were smart, it would use the same process Apple uses. Get the update approved then push the update themselves.
    Microsoft and Verizon are the ONLY ones who might have an idea on that one. Windows Phone does not have the pull to get that done esp with Verizon.

If models are starting to get it soon, then I can only guess that the ICON will be towards the bottom of the list, so maybe late Spring, early Summer...by then I hope to have a new phone.

At least it's NOT on the "Aint going to happen" list.... and there is a few popular models on that list..

They're pushing out Win 10 updates to the 950 and 950XL. As long as nothing requires new firmware I think we're okay. I'll hang on to my Icon for a bit longer. It's running Win 10 beautifully.
    No question it runs over all smooth, a few minor bugs here and there but, the biggest killer for me is battery life. It's not on standby, if I don't do anything with the phone, more than a day but, a 10 min Twitter check or a few tweets will drop the battery between 5-10%, do that 5-10 times a day and your on a beeping dead battery after about 5-8 hours. With 8.1, I could do double that and still have the phone at 30% at 11pm when I was going to bed.

Wish that could be addressed...
    12-20-2015 11:06 AM
    I had to drop my mom from 10586.11 to 8.1 as she was having problems with touchscreen not responding/not charging. Does .29 or .36 fix that for her?
    12-20-2015 06:22 PM
    I'm not having any battery issues but I never did with this phone. About the only glitchy behavior I've seen is with quiet hours not activating automatically.
    12-21-2015 08:11 AM
    The Icon is in group 2, and not "never" for the W10M release!
    winbeta.org/news/windows-10-mobile-rolling-eligible-devices-waves-new-microsoft-list-implies
    dkediger likes this.
    12-21-2015 03:07 PM
    The Icon is in group 2, and not "never" for the W10M release!
    winbeta.org/news/windows-10-mobile-rolling-eligible-devices-waves-new-microsoft-list-implies
    Cool and thanks for the update (and btw, got a LOL from your avatar). Now the big question is....when will "group 2" be starting ?

Maybe it's a good thing that we are a little ways out. If you are using the preview of 10 on the ICON, you will know there are random issues here and there, crashes, loading screens, and a bunch of other minor bugs. No matter how perfect looks, you cant honestly sit here and say it's 100% perfect. Not even counting the SO-SO battery life on it (I see about 60% of what 8.1 was)

By the time the ICON gets it, it should already been through 4-5 major updates (AKA bug fixes) and when we get it we should get a rock solid OS and that is worth waiting for...

Even the 950 and 950XL are really buggy, look over the threads... Some people are returning them because of the issues and others are asking if they can install 8.1 on it....

Like Windows 10 was on RTM, is the same Windows 10 phone was, Not ready for RTM, could of used a few months more of bug fixes and testing. Like Microsoft now days... and what Microsoft has turned into... a company that will release software before its' ready and plan just to fix it with updates....very sad..

I wish Microsoft would go back to delaying software like they did Pre-XP, so 10 was going to be released in September but, they delayed it till January to tweak it. Sure people would be a upset but, when you got a rock solid os, with out the minor bugs (that 10240 was full of) and Microsoft looks like a better company for it.

If you talk to or chat with some major experts and people who watch Microsoft like a hawk, you will hear the same story over and over, Microsoft with this plan of releasing before ready has given them a bad name on their products...

When WIndows 10 was released for the PC, almost 90% of the sites said for corporate customers to stay away.... it's only now where they are saying it might be a good option.
    DTPhoto likes this.
    12-21-2015 09:23 PM
    I'm not talking just about speed either.

"What Else Does it Support?

The USB-C connector supports DisplayPort, HDMI, power, USB, and VGA. Notably absent is Thunderbolt, which is superseded by USB-C, just like FireWire was replaced by Thunderbolt. USB-C-to-Ethernet is a no-brainer, but you may have to daisy chain an older USB-to-Ethernet adapter to your USB-C adapter for the time being."

What Is USB-C? An Explainer | PCMag.com

If it was all about the SoC (CPU and GPU), then my HTC One M9 would be Continuum capable since it's SoC is identical to the 950XL. But, it's not because it is USB 2.0 with a Micro USB Type B connector.

In the next year or two all new tablets, phones, and even laptops will be USB-C.
    So far as I am aware, USB-C is not required as the connection method for Continuum. It works using a wireless (bluetooth) mouse and keyboard with a Miracast display, all features that work on our existing phones with W10M. You do not need to use a dock to use the feature, and a dock is the only way that USB-C would be part of the equation.

BTW, my battery drain issue was severe after .36, I finally realized that it had made duplicate entries for all of my apps in the background apps section. Disabling everything that was a duplicate or unneeded seems to have restored my power consumption to what it was on previous builds. Still not great, but not discharging faster than a Qi connection can charge it as it was after the update. Strongly suggest upgraders check their background app settings...
    12-27-2015 11:18 AM
    So far as I am aware, USB-C is not required as the connection method for Continuum. It works using a wireless (bluetooth) mouse and keyboard with a Miracast display, all features that work on our existing phones with W10M. You do not need to use a dock to use the feature, and a dock is the only way that USB-C would be part of the equation.
    To my knowledge the 950/950XL is the only phone that is Continuum capable. That is because the dock and USB-C. When you plug into the dock, Continuum kicks in.

Wireless is where Microsoft wants to go with it. I'm not sure if it's to that point yet. I guess the only way is to connect my Icon to a display via Miracast and connect a BT mouse and keyboard. All of which I have...
    12-28-2015 02:51 PM
    Before you jump ship from Verizon, know that on Windows Weekly podcast number 445, MS's Chief Marketing Officer Chris Capossela touched on the Verizon issue and said several things about it, including: "don't give up hope"...
    For more of the conversation listed to the podcast.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    12-29-2015 08:28 PM
    To my knowledge the 950/950XL is the only phone that is Continuum capable. That is because the dock and USB-C. When you plug into the dock, Continuum kicks in.

Wireless is where Microsoft wants to go with it. I'm not sure if it's to that point yet. I guess the only way is to connect my Icon to a display via Miracast and connect a BT mouse and keyboard. All of which I have...
    People in this forum have used Continuum wirelessly. It does not require the dock.

Continuum for phones works over Miracast but still needs new hardware too | Windows Central

It has nothing to do with USB-C.
    12-30-2015 02:56 PM
1,191 ... 2021222324 ...