The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    People in this forum have used Continuum wirelessly. It does not require the dock.

Continuum for phones works over Miracast but still needs new hardware too | Windows Central

It has nothing to do with USB-C.
    Hmmm...not quite full Continuum. Here is what Dan Rubino demoed recently.

A closer look at the Lumia 950 and Continuum Display Dock | Windows Central

It's more than just projecting the phone's display using Miracast. There is an actual Continuum app that is used. I've actually played with a 950 at the Microsoft Store. Currently, to get the full use of Continuum, you need the 950/950XL with the dock. Which connects via USB-C.

Miracast and BT keyboards and mice are supported in WP8.1 update 2; only a few devices got that update.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 will add support for Bluetooth keyboards | Windows Central

Microsoft IS shooting towards full wireless Continuum, but for now, the 950/950XL is the only device supports it out of the box using the dock.
    12-30-2015 06:06 PM
    People in this forum have used Continuum wirelessly. It does not require the dock.

Continuum for phones works over Miracast but still needs new hardware too | Windows Central

It has nothing to do with USB-C.
    Ok. So I attempted to use Continuum on my Icon running W10M with the latest build. The result was NOT Continuum...not even close.

I connected via Miracast to my TV using my Microsoft Wireless Display adapter. - Ok No worries. Connected fine and displayed exactly what was on my screen. It didn't show a start menu like in Dan's demo.

I connected a BT keyboard. Again, no worries.

I attempted to connect a mouse. No joy. Neither my Wireless Presenter 4000 nor my ArcMouse would connect, so no mouse support.

I opened a new document in Word and was able to type. The problem was that I had to turn the phone into landscape mode so I could read what I was typing on the TV. Using Continuum it doesn't matter the orientation of the phone. It recognizes it's connected to a TV or monitor and automatically goes into landscape mode.

Yes, you can connect via Miracast and connect a BT keybooard (the mouse wouldn't work for me). But it isn't Continuum.

When you plug a 950 or 950XL into the dock, it works almost like a PC. Like I said previously, I actually played with Continuum at the Microsoft store and without the dock it won't work. And the dock only connects to the phone via USB-C. So yes, it has a LOT to do with USB-C.

Here are a couple pics of what the screen looked like.

20160101_020834519_ios.jpg

20160101_020852305_ios.jpg
    12-31-2015 08:28 PM
    Hmmm...not quite full Continuum. Here is what Dan Rubino demoed recently.

A closer look at the Lumia 950 and Continuum Display Dock | Windows Central

It's more than just projecting the phone's display using Miracast. There is an actual Continuum app that is used. I've actually played with a 950 at the Microsoft Store. Currently, to get the full use of Continuum, you need the 950/950XL with the dock. Which connects via USB-C.

Miracast and BT keyboards and mice are supported in WP8.1 update 2; only a few devices got that update.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 will add support for Bluetooth keyboards | Windows Central

Microsoft IS shooting towards full wireless Continuum, but for now, the 950/950XL is the only device supports it out of the box using the dock.
    Continuum will not work on an Icon. It requires something about the Qualcomm 810 generation chips. That something is not USB-C, which is just an interconnect standard. If you have a 950 you can use Continuum completely wirelessly with no dock. The phone will recognize that it has been connected to a large display and switch to Continuum mode. The fact that your Icon cannot do it has nothing to do with the version of USB it runs.

I do not know how to make it any clearer. I have worked on several of the technologies involved myself, as an engineer. I thought perhaps I would assist you since it was clear to me you were confused on the topic and were repeatedly berating others with your bizarre claim that it has something do with the USB standard. I do not know what else to tell you. Feel free to not believe me if you like.
    01-01-2016 01:07 AM
    I'm having a new issue. Sometimes I lose the data connection and I have to turn on and off airplane mode
    Same here. Not sure which build it started happening, but now I can only get data if I switch my APN settings from T-Mobile back to Default, then to T-Mobile again.

Using T-Mobile with the phone BTW.
    01-01-2016 06:03 PM
    Same here. Not sure which build it started happening, but now I can only get data if I switch my APN settings from T-Mobile back to Default, then to T-Mobile again.

Using T-Mobile with the phone BTW.
    Turning mobile data off and back on again should also fix it. Easier than both of those solutions.. ☺
    01-04-2016 09:51 AM
    Got fed up with trying to use the Icon on T-Mobile. Now neither data or MMS work properly. Switched to the Lumia 1520 and it is a much better phone than the Icon.
    01-05-2016 12:24 PM
    Got fed up with trying to use the Icon on T-Mobile. Now neither data or MMS work properly. Switched to the Lumia 1520 and it is a much better phone than the Icon.
    This works with TMOBILE
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...obile-etc.html
    01-06-2016 06:45 AM
    Not anymore. Microsoft has blocked this workaround in the latest build.
    01-06-2016 03:04 PM
    Not anymore. Microsoft has blocked this workaround in the latest build.
    I just did here in mine. Hide and Show again. It is working. Make sure you hold the left arrow <- and force close settings in order to see the updates
    01-07-2016 07:21 AM
    How's 10586.63 treating everybody? I'm downloading it now.
    01-08-2016 04:53 PM
    How's 10586.63 treating everybody? I'm downloading it now.
    Installing it too (at the Gears point) came here looking for thoughts but, it appears everyone must be downloading as I see no details yet....

Sigh, crossing fingers that Microsoft actually fixes things instead of breaking them (Windows 10 Mobile is a mess)
    01-08-2016 05:30 PM
    Installing it too (at the Gears point) came here looking for thoughts but, it appears everyone must be downloading as I see no details yet....

Sigh, crossing fingers that Microsoft actually fixes things instead of breaking them (Windows 10 Mobile is a mess)
    My phone is reinstalling apps now. I didn't know it removed them after an update. I'm planning on doing a hard reset for this one, I didn't for the previous update and experienced more freezes, restarts, and unresponsive displays that I would have liked.
    01-08-2016 05:31 PM
    I have been having randomly horrible performance and battery drain since December 28th. My W10M upgrade was first done in early December, and while battery life wasn't as good as on WP8.1 and apps would crash occasionally, it in general worked fine. For no reason I can discern, on the 28th performance slowed to a crawl, apps started crashing more frequently, and battery drain became terrible. To quantify it: Ten minutes after removing the phone from the charger it can be at 85% down from 100%, and will continue to drain at that rate, giving me only a couple hours of off charger use. It actually drains faster than my Nokia Qi chargers can charge it, all they do is slow the drain. Only wired charging can keep up. Performance is so bad I see loading messages for simple tasks like the home screen and the messaging center, and good luck with any app more intensive than those. This persisted even through a hard reset.

I was ready to give up and go back to WP8.1 by Jan 3rd, but when I picked up my phone to start the process, behavior reverted back to normal and it was quick and the battery life was fine again. This was the case until yesterday when I rebooted it in an attempt to get bluetooth working normally with my car again (certain apps don't seem to be able to switch the stereo over to phone mode lately). After that reboot it was back to the bad behavior, and multiple restarts have not fixed it.

I just upgraded to the latest .63 and this problem has not gone away. I feel like there may be some runaway process in Windows, but I have no idea how to find it. Any ideas?
    01-09-2016 05:14 PM
    Upgraded my Icon today, what are some of the better universal apps to check out?
    So far so go, Windows 10 is better than 8.1, just hope we some better hardware out this year.
    01-10-2016 06:37 PM
    After you've had some experience please post your battery performance.
    P.S. many people recommend a hard reset after installation.
    01-11-2016 07:21 AM
    I have been on .63 now for a few days and everything has been good so far. I did a hard reset after the .29 build but this one I just updated with no reset and everything has been good so far, no real slowdowns or performance issues that I have come across. With the .63 build I am back to roughly the same battery performance on my Icon that I had with 8.1/denim.
    01-11-2016 04:13 PM
    So far....

1. Battery seems better, not even close to 8.1 but, a noticeable bump in this build.
    2. When getting a text, if I click the notification that shows up, it will bring me to messaging but, I end up a loading screen forever (waited only 30 seconds before backing out and going into messages directly).
    3. Cortana on the Band 2 is hit or miss, most of the time it will say "Cant connect" or ask "is your phone in range" when this happens the watch is less than 2-3 feet from the phone (Bluetooth ICON on the phone and band are active too).
    4. Still no way to Mute Cortana when she goes off (leaving "read texts outloud" set to always), in 8.1 we used to be able to hit the volume or power button to mute her.
    5. A few apps random just close, crash maybe ?

It's still buggy but, like every Microsoft OS on release, it's not ready for prime time till the 10th update or so...

After you've had some experience please post your battery performance.
    P.S. many people recommend a hard reset after installation.
    The RECOMMENDED thing is to do a Hard reset and no restore. Sorry all but, losing game saves almost every other build sucks. I did it for a while and I now avoid it of possible.

As I said above, Battery IS a little better, stand buy is better but, using the phone depening on what you do can take a hit on it...
    01-11-2016 09:08 PM
    2. When getting a text, if I click the notification that shows up, it will bring me to messaging but, I end up a loading screen forever (waited only 30 seconds before backing out and going into messages directly).
    3. Cortana on the Band 2 is hit or miss, most of the time it will say "Cant connect" or ask "is your phone in range" when this happens the watch is less than 2-3 feet from the phone (Bluetooth ICON on the phone and band are active too).
    4. Still no way to Mute Cortana when she goes off (leaving "read texts outloud" set to always), in 8.1 we used to be able to hit the volume or power button to mute her.
    2. I'm not getting the delay you're talking about when i back out and go to the messaging app directly from the notification.
    3. Agree. Cortana on Band 2 is still not 100%. But at least it's giving me something now. It wasn't connecting at all before this build.
    4. Cortana outloud has been a huge decrease in functionality since WP8.1. There's more pauses before and after she says something, it takes longer for her to listen, i used to cut her off, etc.
    01-13-2016 08:11 AM
    How do I get my Icon to stop trying to download the .29 update?
    01-14-2016 05:22 PM
    Nevermind... I figured it out. For some reason, the Developer Preview wasn't installed on my phone anymore... it's downloading .36 now.
    01-14-2016 05:46 PM
    With Daniel's suggestion to go with the Insider update (per his "Ask Dan" video update, today), I took the plunge - and my gosh, you're right about the battery life. I can't keep up with any charger but plugging it in the wall. Interestingly, when I look at the battery app - says > 75% is from the Display. As a note, even when I put it down (display off), I still can lose 5% in 10 minutes. Is this an app issue ?

Lastly, just had to say, as well, thank you to those who contribute to this forum, as I read your input each day.
    Last edited by johnzot; 01-17-2016 at 11:22 PM.
    Joseph Anthony2 likes this.
    01-17-2016 11:03 PM
    I was also about to take Daniel's suggestion to upgrade to Windows 10 via the insider app but it is sounding like maybe I should hold off. Its my daily driver so I don't mind a few bugs when dealing with apps and settings but I need my battery to hold up and the phone to be reliable. Is the general consensus that its still a bit too early to upgrade? Are the battery issues the exception or the norm?
    01-18-2016 01:01 AM
    Scotthenry - I wish I could tell you. There are so many that say that battery life is almost as good as 8.1 - but, I may have to revert back to 8.1 if tomorrow doesn't improve. It's my daily driver as well, and having a constant need to charge will not be good. I'll update as I push through....
    scotthenry76 likes this.
    01-18-2016 01:10 AM
    No problems with battery life here. You should do a hard reset after the upgrade though. It seems to fix just about every issue.
    01-18-2016 09:02 AM
    With Daniel's suggestion to go with the Insider update (per his "Ask Dan" video update, today), I took the plunge - and my gosh, you're right about the battery life. I can't keep up with any charger but plugging it in the wall. Interestingly, when I look at the battery app - says > 75% is from the Display. As a note, even when I put it down (display off), I still can lose 5% in 10 minutes. Is this an app issue ?

Lastly, just had to say, as well, thank you to those who contribute to this forum, as I read your input each day.
    This problem comes and goes, if you let it go a few days, and don't reboot it, it will eventually settle down and start draining at a normal level without the slow perf and app crashes. But every time I have to reboot for any reason, the problem is back again and incredibly frustrating. I really wish I had a way to run a debugger and see what process is running that causes it.
    01-18-2016 12:38 PM
1,191 ... 2122232425 ...