12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    Have you run "Upgrade Advisor" while we await a reply from Gabe Aul - ours has said "Good news ... " for several weeks but if you recall last year to get 8.1 Denim took quite some time with Verizon !
    Just because it says "good news" does not mean we got it yet. So, did anyone here roll back to 8.1 and see if they can get W10M with out the preview program ?

When is the offical day ? W10M preview still has issues with battery life, I am hoping we get to a 8.1 level of battery on w10m...

I'm still on my LG G3 and later today I'll be a on a G4 (going to sell off my G3 that has wireless charging)...Loving tap to pay...
    04-26-2016 10:46 AM
    Just because it says "good news" does not mean we got it yet. So, did anyone here roll back to 8.1 and see if they can get W10M with out the preview program ?
    I never put 10 on my Icon and there's no official Verizon update available. Insider is still the only way.
    04-26-2016 12:41 PM
    I never put 10 on my Icon and there's no official Verizon update available. Insider is still the only way.
    No, the "Good news ..." is that we do NOT have to go rogue but just patiently "wait" = I already waited a year, what's a few more days or weeks?
    04-26-2016 04:19 PM
    Actually, they EOLed it in 2014 about 6 months after release. This phone, effectively, was DOA.

I was one of the loudest protesters but I'm done. MSFT clearly is more interested in supporting Android and iOS with its mobile strategy and who can blame them? They were simply too late to the table. There are no true flagship Windows phones and the app gap has gotten worse instead of better.

I know enough to get off a sinking ship.
    Verizon didn't EOL it in 2014. Had Verizon EOL'd it in 2014 then we would have never gotten the Denim update in 2015. Which, btw, was one of the first phones to get Denim. Verizon retired the phone in 2014 less than a year after releasing it; which means they stopped offering it for sale after stocks ran out. The phone is now over 2 years old and Verizon generally doesn't support phones for over 2 years. As a GENERAL rule, most devices, regardless of carrier or manufacturer only have a 2 year life cycle.

If you notice, Verizon doesn't offer the iPhone 4/4s, the M8, or the S5. It is unlikely those phones will get updates beyond iOS 9.2 for the 4/4s and Marshmallow for the M8 and S5. Why would Microsoft devices be any different? Also, keep in mind it is ultimately up to Microsoft, Samsung, Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc to provide the updates.

I do agree though that Microsoft doesn't seem as enthusiastic as it once was with producing phones. It's done pretty good in the 2-in-1 arena with its Surface line. However, I have yet to see that translate to mobile sales, and I am not all that confident that a Surface Phone will be released.

I also think that Windows 10 Mobile is superior to both iOS and Android. But if Microsoft can't get developers on board to produce apps we need and/or want, I don't see it lasting much longer.
    04-26-2016 08:23 PM
    Verizon didn't EOL it in 2014. Had Verizon EOL'd it in 2014 then we would have never gotten the Denim update in 2015. Which, btw, was one of the first phones to get Denim. Verizon retired the phone in 2014 less than a year after releasing it; which means they stopped offering it for sale after stocks ran out. The phone is now over 2 years old and Verizon generally doesn't support phones for over 2 years. As a GENERAL rule, most devices, regardless of carrier or manufacturer only have a 2 year life cycle.
    Well, not entirely true as you could buy a Lumia ICON for quite some time - on an off with stock - from the Microsoft store, Amazon and perhaps other places.

The second part of whether Windows Phone is DEAD ... just read the thread in these forums about the HP Elite X3 and other OEM Windows Phone coming soon. Yes, "targeted at Enterprise customers" but I will buy an HP Elite X3 the day it is available. In today's BYOD device world, what exactly separates "work vs personal" anyway.

IMHO, Verizon may be fighting with Microsoft ... but, does anyone here think that Verizon is "foolish enough" to attempt to "block" HP and other large OEMs coming soon ???

http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phones
    04-27-2016 09:27 AM
    does anyone here think that Verizon is "foolish enough" to attempt to "block" HP and other large OEMs coming soon ???
    You must be new here...
    DavidinCT and abausch like this.
    04-27-2016 12:45 PM
    Well, not entirely true as you could buy a Lumia ICON for quite some time - on an off with stock - from the Microsoft store, Amazon and perhaps other places.
    Yes, you could still get it via Microsoft and other third party vendors as stocks were available. I was talking about Verizon specifically.

The second part of whether Windows Phone is DEAD ... just read the thread in these forums about the HP Elite X3 and other OEM Windows Phone coming soon. Yes, "targeted at Enterprise customers" but I will buy an HP Elite X3 the day it is available. In today's BYOD device world, what exactly separates "work vs personal" anyway.
    You have a good point about the enterprise space. Microsoft, HP, and Dell are all VERY good at leveraging the enterprise space. How many people bought a Dell computer for personal use because that was what they used in the work place? Loads! That was how they all became household (i.e. personal) standards. If Microsoft can leverage the enterprise space then, I can see people wanting to migrate to Windows Mobile.

The part that is problematic with that strategy is that if developers don't produce the apps that users are used to having on iOS and Android, then consumers won't jump. I'm not talking about apps like Facebook and Instagram. I'm talking about apps for things like banking and such. Sure many of the BIG banks offer a Windows mobile app, but what about the smaller more local banks. My credit union does not offer a Windows app, but it does have an iOS and Android version. The iOS version even uses TouchID or eye scanning for authentication. Starbucks doesn't offer a Windows app, and SBUX the best third party app is now discontinued. Adobe doesn't offer a version of Lightroom Mobile for Windows mobile, but it has an iOS and Android version; even though historically Windows phones had better cameras that Lightroom could leverage. I can control my Canon EOS 6D directly from my iPhone and my Galaxy Tab S2; even from my SP3, but not from my Icon. If I'm away from my desktop or SP3, I can still download and edit the RAW images off of my camera to either my 6s+ or Tab S2, and upload. Is that niche? Not really. If it was so niche, then the major camera makers like Canon and Nikon wouldn't offer remote camera control apps; nor would Adobe offer Lightroom Mobile.

That is where Microsoft is losing the battle...getting developers to produce quality CONSUMER apps for them. So even if Microsoft were to make considerable headway in the enterprise space, they are still going to struggle in the consumer space. You've very astutely pointed out that we are in the BYOD era of mobile, but the vast majority of those devices are either iOS or Android powered, not Windows powered.

IMHO, Verizon may be fighting with Microsoft ... but, does anyone here think that Verizon is "foolish enough" to attempt to "block" HP and other large OEMs coming soon ???

http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phones
    I don't see Verizon out right blocking devices. That would be dumb! The issue would be whether the OEM includes the CDMA capabilities to work on Verizon's and other CDMA networks. Worldwide there are still a LOT of CDMA networks still running. That is the reason why the 950/950XL won't work on Verizon (or any other CDMA network); Microsoft did not enable CDMA. So if HP wants it to work on Verizon's network, it HAS to have CDMA enabled. That is the way it's going be until Verizon, and all of the other CDMA carriers, phase out their respective 3G networks; which many are in the process of doing.
    04-27-2016 05:46 PM
    04-27-2016 08:09 PM
    We can get this with out the hacK ?

I wish we would get some offical news on the ICON....sigh
    04-28-2016 08:55 AM
    We can get this with out the hacK ?

I wish we would get some offical news on the ICON....sigh
    Yup. It's just the Release track. We'll get all updates to Threshold, but not Red Stone.

Running on my phone now, haven't run into any bugs yet.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    04-28-2016 09:21 AM
    Yup. It's just the Release track. We'll get all updates to Threshold, but not Red Stone.

How's video recording, specifically the sound? Is it stereo?
    anon(8966576) likes this.
    04-28-2016 10:40 AM

I'll see if I can update to it when I get home (not on the 930 hack)....Thanks ! :)
    anon(8966576) likes this.
    04-28-2016 10:54 AM
    You must be new here...
    Nope, not new and as disgusted as anyone else ... I just wish that Microsoft would create their rumored MVNO so that I could DUMP Verizon!
    04-29-2016 04:04 PM
    Nope, not new and as disgusted as anyone else ... I just wish that Microsoft would create their rumored MVNO so that I could DUMP Verizon!
    Why dont you dump V post paid and just go with one of the good MVNO's that use V cell towers? PagePlus and Selectel are good choices. I will go back to Selectel when I get of my family post paid V plan.
    05-01-2016 09:46 AM
    anyone having problems with voice mail? After upgrading, when a call goes to voice mail they are asked to enter my mailbox number. If they enter my phone number it just says voice box not found?
    05-01-2016 11:41 PM
    Have to say I am not very happy with the situation as it regards my 2 year old Icon. I would love to stay with Windows mobile but will have to take a serious look at the iPhone 7 when it come out. My whole family uses iPhone and I have been the outlier trying to convince them that I have the better phone and operating system. It's getting more and more difficult to make that argument.
    MrGecko likes this.
    05-02-2016 11:53 AM
    Have to say I am not very happy with the situation as it regards my 2 year old Icon. I would love to stay with Windows mobile but will have to take a serious look at the iPhone 7 when it come out. My whole family uses iPhone and I have been the outlier trying to convince them that I have the better phone and operating system. It's getting more and more difficult to make that argument.
    I am personally still going to use my Icon and most likely upgrade next year. I want my Windows 10 Mobile to work really well with my Windows 10 PC.

Now I assume you have a Windows 10 PC as well. I suggest if you switch to switch to a good Android phone. Why? Well, there will be better integration with Windows 10 on Android then IOS. IOS is very locked down. Install Cortana on Android and you can get Text messages on your PC from your phone. Plus Android is much more flexible then IOS. IOS is so uptight and annoying to me.

I could also name a ton of features that make Android the better option in my opinion. IDK how you use a phone or would use one in the future but Android is much more updated and flexible. You can only use NFC for payments on IOS. STUPID!!! I would just suggest an Android if you switch. I'm staying on Windows.
    05-03-2016 12:39 PM
    I was reluctant to go with the Insider Program, but I got tired of upgrades being held captive by Verizon and there decision of whether or not to support the Icon. There is a lot of functionality missing in WP8.1 that's available in W10M as well as in certain apps including ones that just aren't on WP8.1. I upgraded on Sunday. It took a bit longer than 10 minutes to download and install the update. Once it finished I didn't have all the functionality of my apps and some were missing. My Band wouldn't stay connected over Bluetooth at all. What I didn't realize is that it was downloading a ton of app updates in the background to go from WP8.1 to W10M apps. I had some errors while downloading, but I just let it finish on its own and restarted the failed ones. After that, all the apps ran fine, but I was still having Bluetooth issues. I found a post that said to uninstall Microsoft Health and reinstall it. After that, everything seems to be working fine except for Fan Band. I can get it to change my Band background manually, it just doesn't do it automatically on a schedule anymore. Not sure why. Overall I'm happy with W10M and I'd recommend going with Insider and getting in the Preview Build ring. Phone seems pretty stable with only one or two minor issues. The way I see it, if Verizon decides not to support the Icon on W10M at least this way I won't have to go back and buy a new phone from them to stay current with the latest OS and features.
    05-03-2016 02:33 PM
    Why dont you dump V post paid and just go with one of the good MVNO's that use V cell towers? PagePlus and Selectel are good choices. I will go back to Selectel when I get of my family post paid V plan.
    Once Microsoft "began to sell UNLOCKED Lumia 950XL and Lumia 950 smartphones "UNLOCKED", WHY should I as Microsoft is making all of the noises about creating a Microsoft MVNO!
    05-03-2016 07:26 PM
    Once Microsoft "began to sell UNLOCKED Lumia 950XL and Lumia 950 smartphones "UNLOCKED", WHY should I as Microsoft is making all of the noises about creating a Microsoft MVNO!
    I have not heard these noises you refer to. At least nothing more than some speculation.
    05-03-2016 09:11 PM
    I have not heard these noises you refer to. At least nothing more than some speculation.
    Just do a search, here are a few - the "latest news" is about Microsoft "stores" selling SIM cards

Microsoft Joins The Mobile Virtual Network Operator Industry - Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) | Seeking Alpha

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/micro...gel-horncastle

https://www.mvnodynamics.com/2016/01...work-operator/
    05-04-2016 02:41 PM
    Gabe Aul - Microsoft announces support for Windows 10 Mobile Preview Builds on Lumia Icon

Microsoft announces support for Windows 10 Mobile Preview Builds on Lumia Icon - MSPoweruser
    05-05-2016 10:54 AM
    I read the article and am intrigued. I have the Icon with 8.1. I'm very happy with the performance. I use Cortana frequently and don't want to loose that feature. Is Cortana working well with this latest build? What is the biggest benefit of the upgrade?
    05-05-2016 02:15 PM
    This could keep me with Verizon. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my Surface 3
    05-05-2016 02:25 PM
    This could keep me with Verizon. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my Surface 3
    I have several friends in the UK with Lumia 930s - same hardware as the ICON (Lumia 929) - that "have been successfully UPDATED OTA multiple times" since March 17, 2016 = almost 7 weeks ago = I am very optimistic that this is a "Verizon dragging it's feet" and NOT a sincere effort to give us Windows 10 by Microsoft at this point.
    05-05-2016 02:41 PM
1,191 ... 2829303132 ...