Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Roy Walton

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried resetting the Band as well?

That's how I bricked my last one :evil: In any case, this morning I unboxed the replacement Band and have been messing with it. I have it syncing to the Health app I have sideloaded on my Fire tablet (had forgotten about that), but I still can't get the Health app to start on my phone or even connect via Bluetooth. I can pair them, but they won't stay connected. I tried forgetting the Band, rebooting one or both devices, etc., no love. And since I don't have Health on the phone, I can't do the initial pairing to the phone, since I need Health to finish the Band setup. At one point, I did have the Band showing it was paired to my phone rather than the Fire in the utilities menu -- not sure how I did it -- but I still couldn't keep them connected via Bluetooth.

Interestingly, I found a 3rd-party app (Band Sensor Monitor) that will keep them connected if it's running in the foreground or background on the phone, but that didn't help with the Health problem. I was hoping another Band app might have drivers or bits of code that the Health app is missing... I'd be ok with just using Health on the Fire and getting notifications from the phone on the Band, but I can't figure out how to get the latter to work without the Health app and (obviously) a consistent Bluetooth connection.

Thanks for your input, by the way, I really appreciate it!

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually, they EOLed it in 2014 about 6 months after release. This phone, effectively, was DOA.

I was one of the loudest protesters but I'm done. MSFT clearly is more interested in supporting Android and iOS with its mobile strategy and who can blame them? They were simply too late to the table. There are no true flagship Windows phones and the app gap has gotten worse instead of better.

I know enough to get off a sinking ship.

Couldn't agree more...especially with the apps we do have are usually worse than their android counterparts or just completely half assed. I mean seriously the facebook app on my Icon STILL is not as good as the android app I had on my HTC phone 2 years ago...

I bought the Galaxy S7 Edge. This is the nicest phone I've ever held in my hands. It is what a flagship device should be.

For 800 bucks it damn well better be....

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Well I took the plunge to WP10 on my Icon and so far so good. Talk about a major upgrade from Denim. I like everything I have seen with it so far. No issues to be found with the latest build, knock on wood. I swear they could re-launch this phone and it would still be a hit. For Verizon it would still be a flagship phone considering they offer nothing at this time. I really hope MS includes the Icon. It would be a shame to have to dump this phone!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Galaxy S7 Edge. This is the nicest phone I've ever held in my hands. It is what a flagship device should be.

Good you pay $800 for a device. I have a LG G3 and paid under $75 for it and it's a major step up in hardware over the ICON...

If I was going Android perm, I think the LG models are really slick and slim over the buggy Samsung devices, still the S7 edge is a nice looking phone.

Sorry guys who know me, I am deciding if I am going to another phone for a while, after the ICON getting S.C.R.E.W.E.D. over by Microsoft and Verizon from getting the official W10M final, I might be changing for a while.

The ICON is the EXACT phone as the 930 besides they enabled CDMA on the ICON, just because of that we got stiffed...and I am ticked about it..

Thanks Microsoft, a great way to keep loyal fans....

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I took the plunge to WP10 on my Icon and so far so good. Talk about a major upgrade from Denim. I like everything I have seen with it so far. No issues to be found with the latest build, knock on wood. I swear they could re-launch this phone and it would still be a hit. For Verizon it would still be a flagship phone considering they offer nothing at this time. I really hope MS includes the Icon. It would be a shame to have to dump this phone!

I am a VERY HAPPY "ICON" user since September 2014 ... do we yet know "how many ICON users there are in the US"?

A business friend in the UK with a 930 "used the Upgrade App" and VOILA he now has Windows Phone 10 + says, less than a week later that an update was "successfully" pushed!

ANYONE?

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I am NOT a Verizon "consumer" but a "business user" = how many of you are ""Icon BUSINESS users"?

I'm not only a Verizon consumer, but a Icon business user also. I access a ton of documents on my Icon at work from live.com. Since I am the IT administrator at work it's an essential part of my work tools. The Apple and Android users are amazed at what my Icon can accomplish on our network. I got the "Your phone looks just like your work PC desktop. How did you do that?". LOL We can be at a off campus meeting and they ask about a spreadsheet and I open my Icon. The look on their faces are priceless.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That's how I bricked my last one :evil: In any case, this morning I unboxed the replacement Band and have been messing with it. I have it syncing to the Health app I have sideloaded on my Fire tablet (had forgotten about that), but I still can't get the Health app to start on my phone or even connect via Bluetooth. I can pair them, but they won't stay connected. I tried forgetting the Band, rebooting one or both devices, etc., no love. And since I don't have Health on the phone, I can't do the initial pairing to the phone, since I need Health to finish the Band setup. At one point, I did have the Band showing it was paired to my phone rather than the Fire in the utilities menu -- not sure how I did it -- but I still couldn't keep them connected via Bluetooth.

Interestingly, I found a 3rd-party app (Band Sensor Monitor) that will keep them connected if it's running in the foreground or background on the phone, but that didn't help with the Health problem. I was hoping another Band app might have drivers or bits of code that the Health app is missing... I'd be ok with just using Health on the Fire and getting notifications from the phone on the Band, but I can't figure out how to get the latter to work without the Health app and (obviously) a consistent Bluetooth connection.

Thanks for your input, by the way, I really appreciate it!

You have the Health app sideloaded on your Kindle...have you tried deleting that? Maybe it's causing the issue? Your Band can't connect via BT to two different devices.

I would delete all instances of any Band in your BT setting on your phone. Reset the Band. Delete any trace of the Health app on your phone. Reboot your phone. Make sure you have a strong wifi or cellular connection and try downloading the Health app again. The Health app should download, irrespective of the Band.

Last edited:

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok now, does this mean the icon is now a part of Windows 10 devices moving forward? Including insider builds (and later OTA releases) beyond 10586? I haven't seen a formal announcement other than Aul saying a week ago the Icon was still being considered...

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok now, does this mean the icon is now a part of Windows 10 devices moving forward? Including insider builds (and later OTA releases) beyond 10586? I haven't seen a formal announcement other than Aul saying a week ago the Icon was still being considered...

I don't know, but since March 17th, when I DL'd the Microsoft "Upgrade Advisor App" on my Lumia, the "message was different UNTIL TODAY" - last 7 days it said something like "we are evaluating whether you phone can be upgraded" (or something similar) but it did NOT say "SORRY, you are screwed" like I hear Lumia 920 users are?

As I mentioned, my friends in the UK with their 930's have now had TWO updates pushed within the last week - by Microsoft and NOT by the carrier!

So ... fingers crossed !

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, but since March 17th, when I DL'd the Microsoft "Upgrade Advisor App" on my Lumia, the "message was different UNTIL TODAY" - last 7 days it said something like "we are evaluating whether you phone can be upgraded" (or something similar) but it did NOT say "SORRY, you are screwed" like I hear Lumia 920 users are?

As I mentioned, my friends in the UK with their 930's have now had TWO updates pushed within the last week - by Microsoft and NOT by the carrier!

So ... fingers crossed !
FWIW, I'm still getting "trying to determine if you phone can support Windows 10".

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Located in Cupertino, CA = San Francisco Bay Area

I just ran the "Upgrade Advisor app" on my ICON "again" and SAME "Great News" screenshot that I posted!

STOP the PRESSES = Just ran it again = almost 12 hours AFTER the "Great News" and Upgrade Advisor is "back to saying" Isn't available for your phone ... trying to determine if ...

Darn it !!!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still saying upgrade not available.

After the latest Upgrader Advisor update, "Good news!! Your Icon is now eligible W10 and they're working with your mobile operator and phone manufacturer to make the upgrade available."

I just checked on 4/13/16.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo