12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 3738394041 ...
tools
    New member here but a long time reader and Win Phone user. Anyone having issues with the phone restarting while using the camera? Everything else seems solid. Any tips?

This might help with diagnosis, I originally had the Lumia Camera as my default and it would launch and say this is being replaced and take me to the MSFT Camera App. Did a hard reset after uninstalling Lumia Camera and backing up. When I restored it still installed both cameras and the problem persists.
    Yeah, I've had that happen. But I've always had issues doing video-ish stuff, even in 8.1. I'd often get reboots when editing video, and still sometimes do. I started to think it was a hardware issue.
    06-02-2016 10:40 AM
    This is probably a dumb question but, when I do a hard reset is there any way to get it to stop installing things that I had uninstalled previously? i.e. the Lumia Camera, the Xbox Live app, etc.
    No, but you can prevent them from updating by turning off auto updates when on wifi in Store settings if you're quick and change the setting immediately after the hard reset is complete. Then uninstall before running a manual check for updates or turning auto update back on.
    06-02-2016 10:42 AM
    jayblazer said "Well, I have a brand new Icon"
    I'm wondering ... how do you get hold of a brand new Icon? I thought that they had all been sold out?

My Icon fritzed out a week ago, and I had to buy a new Lumia 735 from Verizon, because there's nothing else available. The poor thing is a nice phone, but is so slow, and lacking MANY nice things that the Icon has. You wouldn't notice it if you hadn't had the Icon. AND IT IS MAKING ME NUTS!! I can't imagine spending 2 years with this phone before being able to buy a flagship W10M phone when they become available. I took my Icon to a repair place, and should know in a couple days if it is repairable. Meanwhile, my HTC Trophy is still useable, and I'm almost considering using it until a flagship appears on the horizon.

Hence my question jayblazer ... where did you get a new Icon??? I want one!!!

Thank you.
    06-02-2016 08:47 PM
    I'm wondering ... how do you get hold of a brand new Icon? I thought that they had all been sold out?

My Icon fritzed out a week ago, and I had to buy a new Lumia 735 from Verizon, because there's nothing else available. The poor thing is a nice phone, but is so slow, and lacking MANY nice things that the Icon has. You wouldn't notice it if you hadn't had the Icon. AND IT IS MAKING ME NUTS!! I can't imagine spending 2 years with this phone before being able to buy a flagship W10M phone when they become available. I took my Icon to a repair place, and should know in a couple days if it is repairable. Meanwhile, my HTC Trophy is still useable, and I'm almost considering using it until a flagship appears on the horizon.

Hence my question jayblazer ... where did you get a new Icon??? I want one!!!

Thank you.
    . I have a used one that is in perfect shape.
    06-02-2016 09:17 PM
    Keep an eye on Ebay and Swappa if you need one in good condition; they show up often.
    06-02-2016 11:38 PM
    Keep an eye on Ebay and Swappa if you need one in good condition; they show up often.
    There appear to be a number - the good thing about eBay is that "they go after fraud and the purchaser is #1, NOT the seller"

Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Black 32GB Windows 8 Smartphone Verizon GSM Factory Unlock | eBay
    06-03-2016 10:31 AM
    I had issues with the camera causing reboot all the way back to the first Win10 insider build, and it didn't matter which camera app I used. Still had it on Threshold in the 1003 build. Upgraded yesterday (was it yesterday? Whenever it released) the new 1000 version, and have only taken a few pictures, but no problems so far.
    06-03-2016 02:57 PM
    Thank you all! If my Icon can't be fixed, I will check back here for buying a used one. I've never used EBay before, either, but the loss of my Icon just might drive me to it!
    06-03-2016 06:24 PM
    Thank you all! If my Icon can't be fixed, I will check back here for buying a used one. I've never used EBay before, either, but the loss of my Icon just might drive me to it!
    Amazon has them, too.
    06-03-2016 06:50 PM
    I bought it from ebay for $200 they only had white left but for what a new battery costs for this phone I thought I might as well just get the new one..

New Unlocked Nokia Lumia Icon 929 Verizon 4G LTE GSM Windows Smartphone White | eBay
    06-03-2016 08:50 PM
    I too got a new white one on Ebay for $200. First I got a refurb from Amazon, had camera button issues and returned it. This should tie me over for a while until SOMEONE releases a solid wp10 phone. What I can't find is a good case, and I'm not into having a fortress in my jeans pocket. The one I got at the Verizon store when I got my 928 is a perfect fitting TPU case with perfect cutouts. I've tried 3 different cases and have yet to find one I like. Luckily they're cheap and with free shipping I don't mind tossing them out.
    06-05-2016 11:57 AM
    I like the Trident case, it is a bit bulky but nice fitting.
    06-05-2016 12:04 PM
    I too got a new white one on Ebay for $200. First I got a refurb from Amazon, had camera button issues and returned it. This should tie me over for a while until SOMEONE releases a solid wp10 phone. What I can't find is a good case, and I'm not into having a fortress in my jeans pocket. The one I got at the Verizon store when I got my 928 is a perfect fitting TPU case with perfect cutouts. I've tried 3 different cases and have yet to find one I like. Luckily they're cheap and with free shipping I don't mind tossing them out.
    I've had this one for about the past year, and like it. http://smile.amazon.com/Puregear-Sli.../dp/B00I8NB8IY
    06-06-2016 04:01 PM
    Thank you for your suggestion on the case. It looks like the buttons are covered by the case, which is the problem. I just want one with cutouts.
    06-08-2016 09:51 AM
    Thank you for your suggestion on the case. It looks like the buttons are covered by the case, which is the problem. I just want one with cutouts.
    This one is pretty good. It's thin, buttons aren't covered, and it does a decent job protecting from chipping and scratches. Only drawback is because of the button cutouts, that part is a little flimsy and I've torn two of them in the same spot.
    06-08-2016 11:50 AM
    Back on topic: Who's going to jump on the new fast ring build for us? https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...w-build-14361/
    06-08-2016 01:06 PM
    Back on topic: Who's going to jump on the new fast ring build for us? https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...w-build-14361/
    I did.

Pretty fine so far but then I've only had about two hours with it. Two things:

1. Don't know if anyone else had this issue but with the last build (14356?) after the update was complete there seemed to be some sort of process that was stuck in a loop that was destroying my battery. I let it go thinking it would iron itself out but it didn't after about two days so I did a Pwr-VolDwn reset which seemed to have taken care of it. Just a Power->slide down to power off reset didn't. Anyway, same problem this time but instead of waiting for two days this time I just did another Pwr-VolDwn reset and it was taken care of. So just something to keep in mind if you run into severe battery drain after updating.

2. During the update it appeared to be stuck in a boot loop. Once the spinning gears portion of the update was complete it rebooted, got to the Win logo, hung there for a few, rebooted back to the Win logo and repeated this for about an hour. I was preoccupied so I figured I'd handle it when I was free but eventually it worked itself past this and continued to the "We're getting there..." portion (data migration) of the update. Then that took about five minutes and I was all set.

Like I said, it looks kosher so far but it's only been a couple of hours. I'll report back with more if there is anything.
    06-08-2016 05:32 PM
    This is the only case with cutouts I got that the cut outs were accurate. I got it off ebay from China. No guarentees.
    Matte TPU Silicone Gel Case Cover for Nokia Lumia 930 | eBay

Almost anything else it seemed like were taken from other templates and were bad fits. Bought one for $2 last year that covered and rubbed the buttons. Fortunately only a $2 loss.

I'm upgrading to the latest build now. Will report later.
    06-08-2016 06:10 PM
    The past few fast ring builds for me - still no live tile updates on outlook. I have performed a hard reset on each one. Am I the only one having this issue?
    06-09-2016 05:12 AM
    Experience, so far, with build 14391.

Install:
    Took just under an hour from download to ready to use. No bootloop or any other issues.

Reset:
    I performed only a Soft Reset.

Battery:
    Allowed the phone to completely change over night. Phone has been off charge for 5.5 hrs and battery is currently at 49% with moderate use (email, Facebook, news, searching).

Cortana/Search:
    No crashes so far. Noticed that Interests are now "nested" at the bottom of the window when searching and pulled up via a tab. Never seen this before, time will tell if I like it.

Hey Cortana:
    Still doesn't work. When going to Hey Cortana in Settings there is a message that I need to "turn Cortana on." Not sure what I'm missing unless it means I need to talk dirty to her 🙄.
    06-09-2016 11:39 AM
    I updated my Icon to Redstone for the firs time last night. So far the only negative thing I've noticed is even more, and louder random audio pops. and i guess the store still sucks and is pretty slow

Positives:
    it does seem generally more smooth to scroll than TH2.
    the battery life is almost unbelievable [like, I wonder if it's still calibrating]. The idle battery life is waaaayy better, and in use it seems the same or maybe slightly better - will need more time with it to know for sure.
    messaging everywhere works and is great! been waiting/expecting this since wp8 came out.

also, i should mention that this is an upgrade, no reset. i haven't hard reset my phone since 10 RTM'd in November.
    06-09-2016 11:57 AM
    Update: made it through an unusually long day at work with medium-heavy usage and my phone is at 36%. in the past if i didn't charge my phone on a day like today i'm pretty sure it would be dead, or very nearly close.

very cool. no major issues.
    06-09-2016 06:05 PM
    When going to Hey Cortana in Settings there is a message that I need to "turn Cortana on." Not sure what I'm missing unless it means I need to talk dirty to her 🙄.
    😂
    06-10-2016 08:12 AM
    Update: made it through an unusually long day at work with medium-heavy usage and my phone is at 36%. in the past if i didn't charge my phone on a day like today i'm pretty sure it would be dead, or very nearly close.

very cool. no major issues.
    Same here Battery seems to be working better for me than the 10586 builds. Haven't been on the latest fast ring build for too long but I haven't got many app crashes so far like I did before.

So far my only major annoyance is.... Cortana doesn't notify me of and read incoming texts when I am driving connected via Bluetooth to my 2013 Malibu's stereo system. I don't know if there is a setting I am missing or what.

I too had the turn on Cortana dfor Hey Cortana issue and for the life of me can not remember where I went to get it working but I do have hey Cortana working on mine.

I happen to have 3 Icons here (work) and as an experiment wiped one out using the recovery tool to go back to the latest 8.1 build Verizon was pushing out. I took my phone which at the time was on build 10586.338 (or whatever the latest production build was?) and had been hard reset with the Power volume down, vol up, vol down method. So fresh install of both OS... nothing else installed. Woke up Saturday morning and didn't touch either phone other than to pull them off the chargers and make sure they were both at 100%. I left them sit all day and when I checked back on them both before bed (around 10PM) the 10586 build was down to 20%.... 8.1 75%. That was literally doing nothing but sitting on a table both had active sims, neither were restored from any backup.

Just figured I would share that last bit of info.
    feeked likes this.
    06-10-2016 08:15 AM
    I have also noticed the Cortana doesn't read my text and is a little glitchy when I'm asking her to text while on headphones or bluetooth. Also found that my selected tone for text messages wont hold. I look down and have 5 text and my phone didn't make a noise.
    Minor things though. otherwise I'm thrilled.
    06-11-2016 02:51 PM
1,191 ... 3738394041 ...