The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 4445464748
tools
    Ok, so I'm late to the party for this update. I haven't been on the site in a while and thought I had read that an official Windows 10 update wasn't coming to the Icon (or maybe that was just the normal doom and gloom ). I'm reading the comments though and I'm wondering if it's worth it. My battery life was lessened when I switched to 8.1 and I don't want it to lose much more, although I understand there will be some loss. It also seems like it is rather buggy. Should I go ahead and download it, or should I wait until a further update, if there is one on the horizon? Also, how hard would it be to go back to 8.1?
    I updated to WP 10 a couple of months ago when they said it was stable. I've been really happy with it. Had to work out a few bugs with my MS Band. But everything seems to be working.
    08-09-2016 12:44 PM
    I updated to WP 10 a couple of months ago when they said it was stable. I've been really happy with it. Had to work out a few bugs with my MS Band. But everything seems to be working.
    are you on the 14393 update? Is your Band still getting text/call notifications? Mine updated overnight from 10586.494 and now my Garmin watch isn't getting notifications, as with other posters here and on the Garmin forum.
    08-09-2016 12:50 PM
    Hey NMCynthia - Where did you take your phone to get the new battery? Did they have to order anything special?

PS. I installed the Upgrade Advisor and while the phone has been trying to download and install it, the system just reboots every few minutes. I am not sure it is the battery, but I just am not sure what else to try.
    Last edited by DCTonkaTruck; 08-10-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    08-10-2016 10:54 AM
    I took it to Full Bars Cell Phone Repair in Albuquerque, NM. They were totally upfront about what everything would cost, including the "maybe" (the charging port), and how long it would take to order parts and trouble shoot. I was totally apprehensive about everything, but it all went down as they said, and my phone has worked great since the repair ... Windows 10 update went off without a hitch, and the other update today. I am a total ICON fanboy, and look forward to another 2 years of this phone working flawlessly. Maybe by then there will be a flagship phone equal to this one.
    08-10-2016 10:46 PM
    Hey all, just wanted to say that Redstone has been rock solid for me the past month or so. I'd been on the fast ring since about April or May, and for most of the builds battery life was better than production (and bugs weren't too bad - better in some ways).

Anyway, what really matters is the RTM 14393, and yeah, it's very solid. Battery life is by far the best it's been on 10 and probably better than it was on 8.1. I just rebooted it for the first time in over a week, only to install the new CU and turn off insider previews. The ONLY bug I see is occasional camera crashing/causing my phone to reboot - but I've had that happen since 8.1 (has anyone else had this? I think it's a hardware defect that's the root cause).

One thing that really helped make it the best battery life was turning off the microsoft health background task. I never turned off the step tracking in the system settings, but that app is seriously broken and battery life improved dramatically after disabling it.
    08-11-2016 12:01 AM
    Today I was pushed OTA 10586.545 - not sure exactly what was changed?
    08-11-2016 01:47 AM
    Today I was pushed OTA 10586.545 - not sure exactly what was changed?
    not much usually changes, you can check out changelogs if MS made them available but otherwise it's just bug fixes.
    08-11-2016 09:43 AM
    It sure is taking a long time to update...hope it's a good one!! :-)
    08-11-2016 09:51 AM
    Good afternoon. I was curious how you did this..."turning off the microsoft health background task"? and what did you lose after you did that? Although this Icon seems way better at MS Band 2 interaction than my HTC One M8 was, the M8 seemed to just drain the band's battery something terrible after I placed it on the insider fast ring using the registry hack. Haven't had the icon for a full day yet, so still not sure how the battery life is for me.

Thanks for your help,
    Larry
    08-11-2016 11:04 AM
    Good afternoon. I was curious how you did this..."turning off the microsoft health background task"? and what did you lose after you did that? Although this Icon seems way better at MS Band 2 interaction than my HTC One M8 was, the M8 seemed to just drain the band's battery something terrible after I placed it on the insider fast ring using the registry hack. Haven't had the icon for a full day yet, so still not sure how the battery life is for me.

Thanks for your help,
    Larry
    Well, I don't use a health band, I only used it for the built in step counting, so I can't really say what you lose by turning it off. I imagine if you have a Band you'll not want to turn off the background task.
    08-11-2016 11:45 AM
    Ok, awesome, thanks for replying. Yeah guess will leave it running.
    08-11-2016 12:25 PM
    are you on the 14393 update? Is your Band still getting text/call notifications? Mine updated overnight from 10586.494 and now my Garmin watch isn't getting notifications, as with other posters here and on the Garmin forum.
    I just got an update and I'm on 14393.67. My band still works fine and I get text and call notifications.
    08-11-2016 05:05 PM
    Something interesting with this latest update. when I'm done using cortana, it seems to automatically open the camera. Not a big deal, but weird.
    08-15-2016 11:16 AM
    Back here with an update after a couple of hard resets. Just a reminder that the issue I was facing was battery draining really fast. With moderate use, it barely lasted 8 hours.,
    I did a hard reset and restored the apps from backup. Although minor bugs were taken care of, there was no improvement with respect to battery life. After living with it for a week, i went for another hard reset with clean install. Unfortunately that also failed to make significant impact on battery life. It was a very minor impact. I'm upto 9.5 hours to 10 hours battery life but no longer. Looking at Battery Usage, Display is using significant percentage with whatsapp being a big battery user. Oddly Facebook app is a big data drainer. 60% of my data usage was by Facebook app even though i barely used it for 30 mins a day.
    Hoping to get an update that will solve my battery issues. I can live without Facebook app but not without battery.
    OS Version: 10.0.10586.545
    Device: bought in Apr 2014 - Lumia Icon
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-17-2016 10:07 PM
    Back here with an update after a couple of hard resets. Just a reminder that the issue I was facing was battery draining really fast. With moderate use, it barely lasted 8 hours.,
    I did a hard reset and restored the apps from backup. Although minor bugs were taken care of, there was no improvement with respect to battery life. After living with it for a week, i went for another hard reset with clean install. Unfortunately that also failed to make significant impact on battery life. It was a very minor impact. I'm upto 9.5 hours to 10 hours battery life but no longer. Looking at Battery Usage, Display is using significant percentage with whatsapp being a big battery user. Oddly Facebook app is a big data drainer. 60% of my data usage was by Facebook app even though i barely used it for 30 mins a day.
    Hoping to get an update that will solve my battery issues. I can live without Facebook app but not without battery.
    OS Version: 10.0.10586.545
    Device: bought in Apr 2014 - Lumia Icon
    I'm have the same thing with my icon as you 8 hours maybe and I hardly use it then i have to do a charge. My icon is not on the insider build, I'm on build 10586.545 Verizon. Has anyone got the anniversary build yet on your icon with being on 10586.545 non insider and how did you. As of now I still have not received any update?
    08-18-2016 05:23 AM
    I'm have the same thing with my icon as you 8 hours maybe and I hardly use it then i have to do a charge. My icon is not on the insider build, I'm on build 10586.545 Verizon. Has anyone got the anniversary build yet on your icon with being on 10586.545 non insider and how did you. As of now I still have not received any update?
    I downloaded the Windows Insider App and set it to "Release Preview" as my 'Insider Level' (the slowest level) so I could receive the Anniversary update. I am not waiting for Verizon to push it out. I have not had any problems with it (it's only been a couple of days), and I'm enjoying the rich notifications that come with it. AND I'm getting notifications on my desktop from my phone finally! I have not had an issue with battery drain, but I keep my phone plugged in most of the day when I'm at work.

Use this article as a template on how to get on the Insider Program: How to install Windows 10 Preview to your Lumia Windows Phone | Windows Central
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-18-2016 09:29 AM
    I thought that was a whole big thing about Windows 10 is that Microsoft could push the updates rather than waiting for the carrier. Did that change?

Mine is on Straight Talk and I got official "outsider" update to 10586.545 but no update has shown up for AU. No problem, since I'm not installing it until I see definitive testimony that they've fixed the bug with notifications not working with Garmin wearables.
    08-18-2016 11:34 AM
    I downloaded the Windows Insider App and set it to "Release Preview" as my 'Insider Level' (the slowest level) so I could receive the Anniversary update. I am not waiting for Verizon to push it out. I have not had any problems with it (it's only been a couple of days), and I'm enjoying the rich notifications that come with it. AND I'm getting notifications on my desktop from my phone finally! I have not had an issue with battery drain, but I keep my phone plugged in most of the day when I'm at work.

Use this article as a template on how to get on the Insider Program: How to install Windows 10 Preview to your Lumia Windows Phone | Windows Central
    Thank you for the details ... so, the "lowest level Insider pushes AU"?

Anybody read anything about when Verizon "might" deliver the AU?
    pmhgeneral and chefster74 like this.
    08-18-2016 02:54 PM
    I just checked for updates still nothing, thinking its time to go back to insider I just wanted to try with the icon let's do it public since the 928 is no longer being updated. Sounds like "abausch" who posted above is having good luck with it so far.
    abausch likes this.
    08-18-2016 08:20 PM
    Yes, lowest level gets you the Anniversary Update. I haven't heard anything about if/when Verizon will push it out. I'll let you know if I find any bugs, but so far so good!
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-18-2016 10:20 PM
    I too took the Verizon update, but didn't want to wait any longer for the AU, so I pulled the trigger on Tuesday and joined the lowest level of Insider. One of my biggest problems seems to have stabilized as of this morning. Last night when I went to sleep my phone had 100% charge. This morning it was only down to 94%, which is amazing as It was WAY worse before this update! I will admit looking at Facebook for a short time a few minutes ago and it sucked it down to 86% and it wasn't very fluid. I'm now debating signing out of FB after looking at it each time as I know that will help my battery, but not my enjoyment. I keep my 928 charged and generally use it at home and work to save my Icon battery so now my Icon can last a day of moderate use. I don't play any games, but I do use Pandora mostly in my car. Wifi connects in seconds to wherever I use it, which is at home, work and my 2014 Honda CRV, as Verizon SUCKS here in Houston at home and work. I would like Pandora to connect on it's own after I turn off my car to go into a store and return. Not sure if that'll ever change, but it would be great if it did. I'm really happy that I'm on insider now and hope my Icon gets better with each update. Regarding app gap on WP, whatever I can't get, I don't care or need them! I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever path you choose!
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-19-2016 12:21 PM
    Thank you for the write up chefsyer74, makes it that much easier to jump back in.
    chefster74 likes this.
    08-20-2016 05:02 PM
    GREAT NEWS = On Verizon and got pushed an UPDATE through the settings this afternoon in Silicon Valley ... seemed "faster" and now says 14393.67 which is AU right? I am NOT on insider and I am positive "the previous" was the old numbers (10586xxx as best recall) as I am on Insider for Windows 10 (non-mobile and lots of updates recently).

My entire "Start screen LOOKs the same" - the setting gear "disappeared" and I had to re-pin it. LOTS of "pending DLs".

Will play more this evening and watch "battery drain, etc." although I have never had that problem on my Icons.

AWESOME = Microsoft came through and DELIVERED Windows 10 on our Verizon Icons = WOW, WOW, WOW !!!
    Last edited by dksf42; 08-23-2016 at 11:28 PM.
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-23-2016 11:16 PM
    I did update to AU, battery is sooo much better. Best so far,closest to 8.1, and maybe a bit better on standby(facebook is not running u bground)
    pmhgeneral likes this.
    08-23-2016 11:21 PM
    @Moderator ... perhaps, it's time to park this baby as a sticky ... Microsoft and Verizon DELIVERED ! (see my post above but I'll repeat)

GREAT NEWS = On Verizon and got pushed an UPDATE through the settings this afternoon in Silicon Valley ... seemed "faster" and now says 14393.67 which is AU right? I am NOT on insider and I am positive "the previous" was the old numbers (10586xxx as best I recall).
    08-23-2016 11:58 PM
1,191 ... 4445464748