Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Day 1 as my daily driver went well...I'm no power user, but most glitches I can deal with or were solved by a soft reset (I hard reset before and after installing W10, and started over from scratch, not a backup)

Groove Music seems to be glitchiest, some songs aren't loaded yet or something because they just won't play...the other thing I've noticed is volume seems much louder when playing through my AUX input in the car...haven't even fiddled with the EQ yet.

MMS works fine, the few games I waste time with work fine, seems faster for the most part, with a couple hangups/hiccups here and there; nothing showstopping (for me anyways) at all.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Installed 10166 on Friday, works almost completely bug free, except for not being able to change my start screen background. And battery life seems to be about 20-30% worse, very noticeable, I don't think it could last a full day where I would have no problems on 8.1. Think I'm gunna do a hard reset and try it, but if I still get the same battery life, gunna have to go back to 8.1. I think the os looks really nice, but not really any standout features that would make me keep it over having reduced battery life

shantahan

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I installed 10166 and am using it as my daily driver phone for now... Lumia Icon on T-Mobile.

Works pretty nicely. Store app is buggy as expected, but it does get my apps and installs them (it will say it isn't installed but if you check the app list from Start, the app will show up when it is).

One interesting thing so far -- I can't get Mobile Hotspot to work on LTE. It works on 2G/3G, but on LTE, Mobile Hotspot will say it's working, devices can connect to my phone via Wi-Fi, but they can't access the internet. The Icon itself has full connectivity. Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: Turns out if I manually set my APN it works fine. Using the Default one my phone would work fine, but tethering would not.

Also, I don't get notifications on my MS Band, which otherwise is hooked up and seen via Bluetooth, and MS Health app works no problems.

Last edited:

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Only thing bugging me is the battery icon flashes charging after the battery is shown at 100%. After Restarting or a soft reset battery status will then show the battery is not fully charged.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
W10 looks great on my 930 with the exception of that people tile and can not change my ringtone to other thing than the one pre load on the OS , after the reset it works like a charm, battery is good and the phone is faster. I'm a little disappointed for not get the slow motion or maybe the lumia camera itself needs a update (hope it don't take long).

NokWinLu

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I have a Verizon lumia icon.

It just got W10 about a week ago. In general, it is OK. There are some reboots and some quirky stuff but I don't do a ton on this phone so it's OK. Text/cell/waze works so I am good.

However, the battery takes forever to charge and burns out quickly. This did not happen until W10. Drastic difference overnight.
The store is constantly trying to d/l the following apps:
verizon mobile
voicemail
lumia cinemagraph and beamer
mixradio
here drive
nfl mobile.

I have now gone into the settings and made app updates manual but only because of the battery issue.

Except for NFL mobile I don't want any of these apps but I can't delete / uninstall any of them. NFL will *not* updates.
I did a hard reset because I had no wifi and that fixed the wifi.

Any thoughts?

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So far i have pretty mixed feelings about W10 for phones, not even bugs, just the OS in general, heres my gripes so far (latest build about 2 days of tinkering):
Bugs
I cannot change my start screen background, also anytime i change the transparency of the live tiles and hit the Windows button, it goes to a black screen and says "loading...." i then have to soft reset to get it to work.
Hey Cortana still does not work, nor can i find the setting for double tap to wake which is rumored to work.
General Windows 10 issues:
I am a big advocate for the "if it's not broken don't fix it" mentality and i see Microsoft is not. I don't know if Devs were pushed into changing everything, but some things simply didnt need fixing. I don't like how the text box in messaging is black, it makes it harder to distinguish from everything else. Also, the dialer and call screens in general dont make any sense to make them smaller and border less, considering you want them to be quick access when you are making a phone call. I loved the big bold boxes in 8.1 as well as the full screen picture of the person calling you, i hate the little circles. Does anyone know how to link Facebook to contacts? i don't like not having display pics for most of my contacts.
There is no way to set a start screen background from the photos app. In the start screen options to browse backgrounds as well, you cannot choose downloaded pictures, only from your photo gallery.
Those are the majority of my gripes, little lag and tweaks everywhere but it is still usable, so far no major gripes to go back to 8.1. Sorry for the rant!
p.s. I submitted all my gripes to the insiders hub, so don't remind me! :p

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Kasey, did you do a hard reset prior to and after the install? I can use pics from the gallery to change start screen and the transparency works fine for me. Also, my contacts have all the pics working on them as well. I also didn't let any apps install from backup and added them 1 by 1 as the store was sort off finicky at first.

Yes, I too think some of the things in this preview build of Win 10 are not as nice as 8.1 is. Such as the layout of the dialer and message apps. (the calculator too for that matter).

Hopefully things will be tweaked and changed down the line a bit more. I would not put it on my daily driver yet....(i have a spare icon for testing). I still prefer the layouts and general use with 8.1. Though that could change later after we get a more substantial and non alpha/beta version.

OH.....i dont think double tap to wake will ever work. Isn't it because of the display type or other hardware limitation?

shantahan

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
NokWinLu: I was able to uninstall all those apps.

The Store I find is not very reliable in telling you what's updated / installed or not. I check the App list to see when things install or not. The Store seems to only update itself when you close it from the task switcher, then restart =/

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Kasey, did you do a hard reset prior to and after the install? I can use pics from the gallery to change start screen and the transparency works fine for me. Also, my contacts have all the pics working on them as well. I also didn't let any apps install from backup and added them 1 by 1 as the store was sort off finicky at first.

Yes, I too think some of the things in this preview build of Win 10 are not as nice as 8.1 is. Such as the layout of the dialer and message apps. (the calculator too for that matter).

Hopefully things will be tweaked and changed down the line a bit more. I would not put it on my daily driver yet....(i have a spare icon for testing). I still prefer the layouts and general use with 8.1. Though that could change later after we get a more substantial and non alpha/beta version.

OH.....i dont think double tap to wake will ever work. Isn't it because of the display type or other hardware limitation?

I did not hard reset yet. I tried the preview on accident before the Icon could even show a start screen so i used the recovery tool to get back to fresh 8.1. I have not done anything since then so i decided to go straight to 10166 from 8.1. When i go into settings>Personalize> Start and then choose browse, I can only see pictures from my pictures and can only sort by date. I can choose gallery but what i was trying to say is i cant choose albums. (i.e a wallpaper album from apps like Zedge.) I can do the transparency sliders, and choose a wallpaper, but when i hit the start button, it says "loading...." for a long while. I usually will then have to soft reset to get the start screen back up and running. Do you suggest i hard reset or is anyone else having the same issues as me? thanks for the reply!

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow!
1 cool thing i just noticed. I just turned my phone off and instead of giving me the standard "Goodbye" it said "Don't Forget. So and So birthday party tomorrow at noon" that was pretty neat!

NokWinLu

May 22, 2015
Visit site
They won't uninstall. It's almost like verizon/lumia force them to be on there. Well...killing the auto update seems to be helping the battery.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I upgraded my Lumia Icon to Build 10166 and couldn't get the start screen to load. Ended up in a complete recycling of ".....loading...." I ended up swiping down and was able to pull down the notification center. From there I went to *All settings. I reset the phone (which caused me to lose all my data, but fortunately I had a backup of my phone on my laptop). When the phone came back on, I chose NOT to use the "restore" feature and everything seems to work a LOT better. No problems with the start screen, but I have to reload all of my apps back on manaually.

The only problems I'm having now is that when I tried to connect my phone to my PC, Windows Explorer window for my phone kept crashing. Made putting my files back on the phone rather difficult. Also, had a hard time getting my phone to allow Hotspot connectivity to my tablet, but it's working rather good now. My Microsoft Band is connected and so is my car without any problems. The only other issue I have noticed is that occasionally when you tap on a folder it takes about 2 to 3 seconds before the folder opens and shows the apps within it. But this doesn't happen all the time. Otherwise, my Lumia Icon is working rather well with Build 10166.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Few days in have had one freeze and had to reinstall mail and calendar coz it waa crashing. Have an exchange account and it's working fine. Mobile hotspot is working well. MMS and Group texting works well

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
xrs22...

I could not get the 10166 build when I first used the Slow Ring, then simply changed choice of Slow or Fast ring in the Insider App. Not sure if you can get 10166 yet on Slow Ring?

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing I am seeing that I hope is not a wide spread reality of Win 10 Mobile.......using Microsoft weather app (not yet stable or has all the options and such), is the use of the hamburger selector for various screens and choices. Swiping to the right and left for different options and windows was extremely fast and easy with one handed operation. Now....it sucks to check the radar and see other info. Hope this app gets a huge....i mean huge overhaul from where it is at now. That or hopefully 1Weather comes to windows phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss