12-12-2016 11:57 PM
1,191 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Been on it a week and a half so far. My longest in the TP10 YET.
    07-22-2015 10:01 AM
    After a few hiccups with installation, a hard reset seems to have corrected the major initial issues that I came across. I did not do a hard reset before installing, as I wanted to see if I would be lucky enough to just update and have minimal issues. After first installing I was hit with the loading start screen issue and had to do a soft reset a handful of times, before the start screen finally loaded. I also had an issue with about 10 apps that just would not install. At that point, I did a hard reset and did not restore a previous backup, so that I would not transfer over any WP 8.1 settings. Hard reset cleared the start screen loading issue and every app that I had on WP 8.1 installed without issue, though I haven't had a chance to open each app and ensure each worked properly.

Haven't had a whole lot playing time as of yet, but thus far I am very impressed, and the OS is definitely usable as a primary driver, if you are willing to go through the initial hiccups and having to set everything back up manually. Thus far, the only issues I have had are obviously battery life and the store app on certain menus seems to take an extraordinarily amount of time to load, specifically the My Library screen. Not bad for a technical preview and, truthfully, so far these issues are to be expected for a preview OS.
    07-22-2015 10:18 AM
    Go to the Store and hit the hamburger at the left tip top corner and scroll down to my library to all your apps that you ever installed. Some wont work with windows 10 but some will.
    aximtreo likes this.
    07-22-2015 10:26 AM
    Go to the Store and hit the hamburger at the left tip top corner and scroll down to my library to all your apps that you ever installed. Some wont work with windows 10 but some will.
    That is how I manually installed all my apps. So far, I have installed close to 80 apps and none have failed.
    07-22-2015 01:35 PM
    I had it for about a week and 1/2 and I ended up rolling back. Over all 10166 was really good but, the hit on battery, Cortana not working (to read text messages) and a few apps that would not run right (Pebble Notifications was the big one) forced me to roll back. I needed a working phone and some of the issues were deal killers for me.

Now back on 8.1 for over a week and no question I miss a few things from W10M and look forward to trying it again but, need to wait till I know for sure most of the problems I was having was resolved.

I'll admit one thing, It's nice going to bed and still having 40-50% batter life left, as with 10166 an hour before bed my phone needed to be charged...(100% dead)
    Zippier likes this.
    07-26-2015 10:44 AM
    Been using W10M since last week. So far, issues that I have had are a couple apps not working, battery life, and a couple times I have had to deal with the loading issue at startup. They are annoyances and the startup issue is rather frustrating, but not deal breakers.
    07-27-2015 12:52 PM
    I tried it a few builds ago, and had to roll back... it was not stable enough. After using Windows 10 Mobile on my L635 and Windows 10 on my laptop now though, I am itching to get it on my Icon as well...

Anyway, my question was, did I understand it correctly that Microsoft says they will officially roll out W10M to users and bypass carriers this time? Or is that still just a Windows Insider thing? I so hope we don't have to wait for Verizon to get full use out of the Icon this time.
    08-01-2015 10:14 AM
    I tried it a few builds ago, and had to roll back... it was not stable enough. After using Windows 10 Mobile on my L635 and Windows 10 on my laptop now though, I am itching to get it on my Icon as well...

Anyway, my question was, did I understand it correctly that Microsoft says they will officially roll out W10M to users and bypass carriers this time? Or is that still just a Windows Insider thing? I so hope we don't have to wait for Verizon to get full use out of the Icon this time.
    According to this article from this past May... yes. But only after the carriers push out the OTA.

Microsoft will bypass carriers, push Windows 10 updates directly to phones | PCWorld
    MikeSo likes this.
    08-01-2015 07:47 PM
    Windows Central did an article about that a while back, stating that even with Carriers usually taking their time to roll out official updates, you can still get official release through the Windows Developer App. the only thing i can think of that would prevent users getting anything new from Microsoft would be firmware updates. (Denim you break my heart)
    MikeSo likes this.
    08-02-2015 05:58 PM
    According to this article from this past May... yes. But only after the carriers push out the OTA.

Microsoft will bypass carriers, push Windows 10 updates directly to phones | PCWorld
    Sure, UPDATES but, the OS itself will require Verizon to step in and offer it. Are we going to get a major update for a phone that has been discontinued for over a year now ?

Sad to say, I would not count on it....it might be the preview program for ever on the ICON. Verizon has a history of not supporting dropped devices from their lineup and if Verizon does offer it to us (for some reason) I think there would be an outrage from Android users who's phone did not get a update after they stopped selling it 6 months ago.

Unless Nokia/Microsoft offers it but, still it would require Verizon to step in, so otherwise we will be waiting 6 months, or never get it...

Sad to say the ICON might never get Windows 10 Mobile...offically
    08-04-2015 08:39 AM
    So, I've upgraded to Win10 on my SP3 and desktop. Now, the next question, should I take the plunge for W10M TP? Decisions...decisions...
    08-08-2015 02:52 PM
    So, I've upgraded to Win10 on my SP3 and desktop. Now, the next question, should I take the plunge for W10M TP? Decisions...decisions...
    Honestly? I'd wait until the next build comes out, hopefully this week. I've been running 10166 on my Icon for about a month now, and while fairly smooth, I find myself needing to do a soft reset at least once a day, and live tiles being actually "live" is kind of hit or miss (the "People" live tile hasn't worked for a couple weeks now)
    gernerttl likes this.
    08-08-2015 04:14 PM
    Thanks. I actually took the plunge. My phone is doing the preparation for install as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I'm doing a hard reset now. The upgrade didn't go so well. :/. After upgrading it got stuck in a black loading screen. Fortunately, I could get to settings and trigger a hard reset. I'm not that worried about losing data. It is all saved to OneDrive, or about 95% of it is. The most recent photos I took were downloaded yesterday.
    Last edited by gernerttl; 08-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    08-08-2015 08:50 PM
    So, here is my experience.

1. I been stuck in a "loading" loop a couple of times. I'm not sure why. I've checked other forums and there doesn't seem to be one cause.
    2. Mobile hotspot doesn't work. It allows me to set it up, but when I turn it on, it says. "Mobile Hotspot is not available at this time" then shuts off.
    3. Phone is running hot and my battery life is atrocious.
    4. I get an error in the Windows Store when downloading my apps.

I'll give another few days, if it doesn't work itself out, I may have to revert back to 8.1. The loading loop and mobile hotspot not working are major problems.

Update: I have no choice now. I did a soft reset and now I can't get past my lock screen. I type in my PIN and it hangs and won't unlock.

I'm going to wait for the next build.
    Last edited by gernerttl; 08-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    08-09-2015 03:12 PM
    Based on what I've read here. I'm going to hold off again. I had a MAJOR problem with the "loading" loop and I actually use internet sharing fairly regularly.

Here are the known issues in the new Windows 10 Mobile preview build 10512 | Windows Central
    08-12-2015 01:01 PM
    I am upgrading from 10166 to 10512 right now. Will report back.

When I was in 10166, I had to hard reset my phone and the experience got better. The quality also varied based on the previous state before update(8.1). 10166 was the first time I can use my Icon as my primary driver.
    08-12-2015 01:23 PM
    no mobile hotspot is a dealbreaker for me.
    mtalinm likes this.
    08-12-2015 01:41 PM
    oh well, forgot to turn off insider app and my phone updated... so might as well try it.
    08-12-2015 08:51 PM
    Yeah, no internet sharing is a deal breaker. It was broke for me on 10166. 10166 was really bad for me. The loading loops I could deal with. But after doing a soft reset and it wouldn't accept my PIN to unlock the phone was why I reverted. I had already done a hard reset after upgrading.
    08-13-2015 02:05 AM
    Updated today, all is working well except LTE. Every build of win10 so far, my data simply doesn't work. On 8.1 I would have to set data to roaming sometimes in order to get data but MS seems to have removed this setting. Any ideas on this because this build seems to be running smoothly for me otherwise? (updated from stock 8.1, tried reboot, airplane mode, phone reset)
    08-13-2015 08:45 AM
    My lte works fine

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    08-13-2015 10:39 AM
    My first phone reset not able to connect to LTE/data. Second reset fixed it. So far so good. Battery life is better than previous build - Verizon LTE Lumia Icon
    08-13-2015 12:35 PM
    oh well, forgot to turn off insider app and my phone updated... so might as well try it.
    How do you turn off the Windows Inside app? Other than uninstalling it.
    08-13-2015 01:03 PM
    How do you turn off the Windows Inside app? Other than uninstalling it.
    I think uninstalling is the only way to turn it off.
    gernerttl likes this.
    08-13-2015 05:37 PM
    I was going yo update my Icon if my 635 ran smoothly now but... Holding off again. Edge keeps crashing a lot and without the browser being reliable Windows Phone becomes a lot less useful.

Maybe next build!
    08-13-2015 05:39 PM
1,191 ... 678910 ...