Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Jacob Noon

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else tried this yet? I downloaded and ran the OS and it was extremely buggy and more out of tune than the videos I've seen for other phones. UI was all screwed up to the point where everything was blown up and I couldn't even get a background wallpaper to work.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from 8.1, and it was buggy as crap. Hard reset took care of about 94% of the bugs. Cortana still won't respond to "hey Cortana", tiles sometimes do or do not work, etc.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from 8.1, and it was buggy as crap. Hard reset took care of about 94% of the bugs. Cortana still won't respond to "hey Cortana", tiles sometimes do or do not work, etc.

Same here. I had the Windows Insider App installed and the preview came almost without warning. To me it was a hot mess so I rolled back. I'll keep using my 822 to test Win 10 preview.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I ended up rolling back to 8.1 today. Ill keep tabs on the progress. For me, the deal killers were... No push email notifications (or notifications of any kind. I had to keep opening outlook and refreshing manually), and a lack of notification tiles on messages, calendar... basically any of the live tiles wouldn't work.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
DONT DO IT ! Tried 10080 and 10136, both times my phone was 100% un usable... And Microsoft's application backup is piece of crap (65 apps installed and not one restored), so, no question I would wait... unless you like losing data (application data)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried the most recent build? It's the first build that i'm actually tempted to try out on the Icon. Especially with the new one handed stuff being added. And apparently this build is fairly stable.

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
downloading now. will report back.
update: installing now. I'm on the "we're getting there...and it will be worth the wait." step. 21/25
update: finally booted up! first impression...."seems faster" :)

issues I've found so far:
-after migrating, none of the live tiles work. I'll try rebooting and report back.
update...rebooting worked
-seems the old (8.1) phone app is still installed, but is not opening up. had to unpin the tile and pin the new (W10M)
-there's a weird gradient to the big letters buttons when you tap a letter in the app list to jump to a letter...weird.
-in order to accept the SSL certificate for my exchange server, I had to add the account in Outlook Mail then open the People app and go into Accounts then tap the account.
-downloading / updating apps in the store is SLOW!!!! a lot of them error out with a weird "well, this is embarrassing" message

Last edited:

Tvan15

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried it on my Icon and am rolling back to 8.1. It wasn't usable for me at all. It constantly restarts when I do anything (go into the store, open apps, go into settings, lock and unlock, etc).

geogray43

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
So far, on my ICON, only goofy thing I've seen is that the voice mail will dial, but the screen goes dark and stays that way until your voicemail system gets frustrated with you and hangs up. Really odd. Other than that, only other 'problem' is that my folders from 8.1 disappeared. Running fairly smoothly, about as fast as it did under 8.1 but gets warm quicker. Still testing.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've success with on my Icon. No install issues, I left it alone for about an hour while I was working. Only issues I have are some duplicate apps, lost my pinned websites, when replying to items in notification center app closes. Starting apps is a little slow from start screen, dinner icons are blurry.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I used 10080 as my daily driver and find 10136 to be a significant upgrade from that in terms of function and stability. I'll preface by the fact that I'm probably a moderate user at best (not a ton of apps and not on my phone constantly like some people) and have a high threshold for bugs knowing that its pre-release software that will have warts. Having said that, here are my findings:

Install went fine, but I didn't read the fine print and wasn't patience enough at the blank lock screen when applying settings. Ended up with a royally messed up start menu and so I decided a reset was best, and after the reset I chose NOT to restore a backup. So I started from scratch, and was OK in doing so.

Initial findings - Improvements
Overall much smoother and cleaner UI
Much more stable, I've had some hiccups but they've been generally few and far between
Music continues to play when screen turned off - this used to be very frustrating aspect of 10080 for me but working fine now
Really like the transparent lock screen, caret for opened tile/folders.
Quick settings can be used to access the more detailed settings associated with the quick setting toggle
Great improvement in navigating pictures, as well as the visual shading in jump-to-letter interface in the app listing

Warts and issues I've run in to
OneNote, while beautifully upgraded interface, there are problems with cursor placement presumably due to scaling on this phone?
I've had phone freeze after hanging up a call
Unable to configure a sound for texts, can only set a ring tone.
Can't get FM radio to work
Unable to set up Office 365 account - getting an odd 'something went wrong' error
I thought the split screen might work when holding the start button (isn't Icon 5") but so far not working
When opening a start screen folder the screen should scroll up to show nested items but instead they drop down and need to scroll to see
Battery isn't great, but far improved versus previous build

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I thought the split screen might work when holding the start button (isn't Icon 5") but so far not working

I am curious about this. I've seen reports that it's intended to work for phones with "...displays of 5" or greater" as well as "...displays greater than 5"

If it's the latter, that means the Icon/930 wouldn't get the feature.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have been thinking of putting the win 10 preview on my icon for just a week and trying out all the features I can't try on my Lumia 635 (I bought a 635 to try out win 10). Is it worth upgrading to try it out?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been thinking of putting the win 10 preview on my icon for just a week and trying out all the features I can't try on my Lumia 635 (I bought a 635 to try out win 10). Is it worth upgrading to try it out?
Depends if reverting back to 8.1 would be a big deal. You'll probably end up doing a hard reset anyway with the TP. I wouldn't but I have my Icon dialed in right now. I'm doing the same thing as you with a 635 and while 10136 is light years better than the last one, it's not ready for prime time. Though I would like to try out the new camera.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Depends if reverting back to 8.1 would be a big deal. You'll probably end up doing a hard reset anyway with the TP. I wouldn't but I have my Icon dialed in right now. I'm doing the same thing as you with a 635 and while 10136 is light years better than the last one, it's not ready for prime time. Though I would like to try out the new camera.

I would also like to try out the one handed keyboards and the split screen feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb