Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

JBG1952

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
This seems to be the place to see if I can get some help with my Windows 10 10136 install. This is not my primary phone so I have been patient.To this point I have failed completely. Before stepping back to Windows 8.1 I looked at what version my phone had, it noted it was running Windows 10, build 10124. This was a build that I am not familiar with. After stepping back, I reinstalled Windows Insider, picked the Fast Ring and hoped for the best. After the 10136 download, the phone hung up, drained the battery (fully charged) and remained hung up after attaching a power cord for 24 hours. The phone gets so hot, that I leave it in a Pyrex bowl in case it melts. After the first failed attempt, I tried again. This time adding a hard reset of the stepped back Windows 8.1 and declining the backed up Microsoft Account option. Once again, the installation failed and I experienced the same hung up loop for 24 hours (grinding gears with no advance in the status bar). I am assuming someone is going to have a tip to get me over the hurdle. That said, which hard reset is everyone using after the installation of 10136? Is it the "Button Option" where you do not have to get the phone to the Start Screen or is it the reset from the Settings>About>Reset sequence. Thank you in advance for everyone's thoughts.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
That said, which hard reset is everyone using after the installation of 10136? Is it the "Button Option" where you do not have to get the phone to the Start Screen or is it the reset from the Settings>About>Reset sequence. Thank you in advance for everyone's thoughts.
Settings>System>About>Reset your phone

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

veigald

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I tried it and uninstalled it pretty quickly. It's my main phone though, if it were a secondary phone I'd keep the preview on it. But for the main phone this build is still not something you want to run. It's got some interesting new features, but still too buggy and unreliable.

Apart from that I am very disappointed at how WP's fantastic UI, which probably is the reason they even have a 4% market share, is being replaced by a non-descript mash of hamburger menus and me-too iconography. I really hate the way WM 10 is looking and can only hope it's being improved before it's released.

sickness2001

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
i just installed the preview build on my verizon icon and cant figure out how to go back to 8.1 can any one help me please i done a reset and that did nothing but bring back 10 is there any way to go back or am i stuck with it till the full release comes out in july

Edit i have been able to roll back to 8.1 after a long nite so thanks to all the info in the forms

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i just installed the preview build on my verizon icon and cant figure out how to go back to 8.1 can any one help me please i done a reset and that did nothing but bring back 10 is there any way to go back or am i stuck with it till the full release comes out in july

Edit i have been able to roll back to 8.1 after a long nite so thanks to all the info in the forms

Cool beans. You'll have to wait a bit longer for Windows 10 Mobile though. It's not expected to be released to OEMs until Sep/Oct time frame. Which means it could be Nov/Dec, depending on the carriers, before the general population gets it. Of course, you could update again using Windows Insider around Sep/Oct. I'm not sure if Microsoft will release a "developers preview" like they did with WP8.1.

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so 10149 is still rather new, but after a few hours I can say it is running fantastically. I did have the issue with the passcode not working, so I gave it an hour and a half then rebooted and then I got in just fine.

If you are having an issue with the store beta not installing apps, cancel all the downloads and then reboot your phone.

The only bug other than the pin code not working (just like Windows 10) is i still can't send mms.

Take it or leave it, this is a much better, much smoother, build for icon owners.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so 10149 is still rather new, but after a few hours I can say it is running fantastically. I did have the issue with the passcode not working, so I gave it an hour and a half then rebooted and then I got in just fine.

If you are having an issue with the store beta not installing apps, cancel all the downloads and then reboot your phone.

The only bug other than the pin code not working (just like Windows 10) is i still can't send mms.

Take it or leave it, this is a much better, much smoother, build for icon owners.

This is working in the new (149) build!

Can you guys keep us posted with any problems you have with the Icon on build 149? I think i'm maybe one or two builds away from taking the jump.

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! I installed build 149 last night and it is amazing! Definitely usable for a daily driver (if you can stand a few issues) so far. Here's what I've noticed up to this point:
-Phone app crashes when swiping over to the dialer
-The notification / action center icons start flashing for no apparent reason...when this happens, they don't respond to touch...hmm...rebooting seems to fix.
-Can't quite figure out how to delete notes in OneNote. Maybe that's just me. I tap on "Delete Page" and nothing happens. Weird.
-Swiping left or right in the Edge browser to go forward or back a page doesn't seem to be functional. Did they get rid of the feature?

Surprises:
-Reachabillity works!
-The Edge browser is awesome!

Overall...definitely "seems faster". I'll keep this updated till the next build.

AFransella

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I installed it last night, having tried a couple previous builds for a couple days each. This one is really quite good. Some issues on mine include fast batter drain and really slow battery charge (10-15%/hr charge on wireless charger). Can't access background task settings to adjust this. Gets pretty hot. Loading screens here and there. QuizUp doesn't work. Still can't manually put in APN for MMS (I'm running Icon on ATT).

kdsmith10000

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I accidentally downloaded this build before reading the issues and the Google account bugs are a no go. I used 10136 for a couple of days but couldn't figure out a fix from MMS. This
build in the limited time I spent is much faster all around. Once, they get the google bug fixed and can work on standby battery drain and overall improve the battery efficiency the builds will very much be daily driver ready.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you guys keep us posted with any problems you have with the Icon on build 149? I think i'm maybe one or two builds away from taking the jump.
Biggest issues for me so far:
Can't send MMS (attach picture to text and get immediate 'failed - try again', rinse/repeat, never successful). Wasn't a problem until I hard reset after installing last build. But the issue is persisting in this build.
One app that I depend on (but can workaround using web) won't uninstall (greyed out) and store says its already installed - catch-22
OneNote scaling issue makes selecting text or placing cursor very challenging
Can't see where to set a unique sound for text - and incoming text often (if not always??) doesn't sound an alert

Otherwise, its been really good. Lots of improvements and new features/functionality. Not to mention significant performance improvement. MS apps are finally live tiles, etc. The MMS is a pretty significant bug that I'd really like to have fixed but just send email if I need to get a picture to someone.

lcpljones

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Quick update to this. It appears wireless charging is not actually charging the phone. I will investigate more and let you guys know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven