Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick update to this. It appears wireless charging is not actually charging the phone. I will investigate more and let you guys know.

QI works fine here... (in 1.5 hours my phone went from 16% to 55% tonight on my Nokia QI charger)

I installed the newest version, I guess I am asking for trouble after the first 2 builds made my ICON 100% unusable. This one I had to hard reset after installing but, I restored from my backup on setup. I'm impressed over all. The OS changes are nice but the only thing I am really running into is figuring new stuff out. A lot of things are moved around so some things are not where expected.

Even to setup an email account (other accounts were not under Accounts in the settings menu), I could not find it in settings, I had to go to the People hub and edit accounts to get it from there.

Nice thing, a little buggy here and there but, seems solid over all, every once and a while I will get menus that crash (well just exit) but, over all it's pretty good. There seems to be some "dead ends" here and there, you will click on a few things (in settings) and nothing happens but, has not caused a major issue so far. Sometimes the menu (start screen) will show 1/2 way down (like you have the notification pulled down but, it's not) but, a hit of the Windows Menu solves that. You might find to need to reboot more often but, day one, seems over all pretty solid.

The tiles are closer together and larger, so your picture takes more of the screen, I think the email and calendar apps are WORLDS better than before. The Xbox app is very nice but, still wishing to keep games in one place, not all over like it is now (miss the WP 7 option for this). The Settings menu has everything in sub menus, like in Windows 10, so finding stuff I don't think is as quick but, over all most things are fairly easy to find. Lots of little tweaks here and there, worthy to check out of you have an extra phone or really want to play taking a chance. I would select "BACKUP NOW" before installing, just in case.

Speed wise, as fast as 8.1 with some sluggish spots here and there but, over all, as fast as 8.1 or a little better in spots.

Problems that are affecting me right now...
1. Battery is being eaten rather quickly (this was day one, so it might need a day or 2 to level out and I was installing apps for a good part of the day)
2. Unable to uninstall Default WP apps OR Verizon apps (weather namely, as it's a known battery eater that came from the store), This is a first for Windows Phone where you cant remove an installed app. This is something I DONT LIKE.
3. Loading screens are common here and there.
4. Rebooting phone while plugged in via USB caused the touch screen to stop working
5. Unable to send picture message or receive them (tried a few times with a few pictures all failed)
6. Enabling developer mode "side loading" did not allow me to side load an app, needed to Unlock phone with Dev tools to side load an app.
7. When upgrading (or in my case, restoring backup) I had tiles on the start menu for apps, when they were installed, the shortcuts were there but, they were dead, I had to remove and re-create them one by one.
8 Where the HELL is call history ?

Perks so far (besides OS features)
1. I was able to get my Pebble watch working with the Pebble notifications app (claimed it didn't work in past versions) This would of been a deal killer for me, as I depend on this watch now (love it to death)
2. I have unlimited data plan with NO Internet sharing. I tried internet sharing and it does work :)

Over all, I think it's worth keeping on my primary phone, the Email and Calandar apps alone are worth it to me. I know I will have to live with a few issues but, if the picture messaging thing can be figured out, I think I can live with everything else at this point...

Talk to me in a few days and I'll know for sure

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
the mms problem is a huge deal breaker for me. Otherwise I would have installed this already in my icon.

I've got a lumia 630 I play with for this. The latest build looked so good I really thought of installing it on my icon which is my primary phone for the first time.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Just FYI,

"Sometimes the menu (start screen) will show 1/2 way down (like you have the notification pulled down but, it's not) but, a hit of the Windows Menu solves that."

That sounds like the feature that lets users with smaller hands reach the top of the screen. I think it's activated with a long press of the home button.

ALSO! How is the update going now after a few days?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI,

"Sometimes the menu (start screen) will show 1/2 way down (like you have the notification pulled down but, it's not) but, a hit of the Windows Menu solves that."

That sounds like the feature that lets users with smaller hands reach the top of the screen. I think it's activated with a long press of the home button.

ALSO! How is the update going now after a few days?

1/2 way down, I think it was the Windows key or the Back key that resolved that right away. Not understanding the reason for it but, after figuring it out it was a quick fix.

I restored yesterday, the SMS/Picture messaging thing was a deal killer, as if someone sent me a picture, I would get NOTHING. This is unacceptable.

If I can get that one thing to work, I would reinstall it, the over all features of it is worth upgrading and the speed is almost like 8.1....worthy to try, just hit the "backup now" just in case..

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I decided to take the jump with the newest build, and it didn't go well..

-For some reason a majority of my apps were just deleted. They were removed from both my home screen and the all apps screen. Things like Music, Movies and Shows, the Texting app (messaging), and so on.
-I wasn't able to download images that were texted to me, although it looks like some others are having this problems too.
-The buttons in the Notification/Action center would flash randomly, and some of them, like Flashlight or Airplane mode, wouldn't work.
-There was a point where the touch screen stopped functioning and I had to turn the phone off for quite a while. Upon starting it up it worked, but it had to remain off for a while.

I am definitely liking the way W10 Mobile is going, however I would advise against installing this build on your primary Icon. If you have an alternate phone, go for it, they need all the feedback they can get, but I'm unfortunately resetting my phone right now. I wouldn't say it's worth the risk.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
so I installed. It's not as fast as some members are saying but I can live with that. Battery gets eaten fast but I have a wireless charging stand everywhere so I can live with that too.

However, the biggest things I am missing is OneNote. I can't find it anywhere in the store and it didn't show up in my Apps list. I also can't access it through OneDrive. I'm sure it's painfully obvious where it is but any help is appreciated.

Also, how do I turn off conversations in Outlook?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
so I installed. It's not as fast as some members are saying but I can live with that.

Yeah, I put it on an old Lumia 822 that I have as a back up device. It was super slow and laggy. I'm sure it's faster on an Icon with the obvious power difference. But still going to wait a build or two.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I will not be using this build for my Daily Driver phone. It's on my extra Lumia Icon for now and I have hopes for the next build to be the one I use on my main phone. The difference between the first Build that worked on the Icon and this one is fantastic. If they make as much progress for the next build I think it'll be the right time to make the switch! Since I have a Primary and Secondary Icon, it's no bug deal to load the builds and see which one I put the SIM in as the DD phone.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just read through this whole thread - was wanting to try it out on my Icon, sounds like its soooooo close. Ill wait till the next release probably, I use MMS too much to not be able to use it. Also concerned with the battery drain, and such. I use W10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, and some of the older builds were so frustrating, I am finally happy with 10136, and am looking forward to getting W10 on my Icon.

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I have been testing the older builds on my old 928 and they were nowhere near ready for daily use. This latest build seemed like the first that might be ready so I installed build 10149 on my Lumia Icon this weekend. I actually like it a lot and performs well with no major bugs unlike the last build. However, what may make me go back to 8.1 is the battery usage.

I unplugged it at 8am this morning and by 12:30 it was completely dead. I used a bit to do some texting, but that's about it. I think I will have no choice but put 8.1 back if I can't get the battery to last a day. I've noticed it also charges slowly. I think this is due to something using a large amount of power.

Observations:
- Fast compared to previous builds. Animations seem mostly fluid and very little lag. Still slightly slower than 8.1 but not enough to be annoying.

- The new universal apps are coming along and seem usable now. I remember with previous builds I was not getting e-mail notifications but that seems to be fixed. There are some scaling issues with certain e-mails (and occasionally with webpages on Edge too) but mostly not a big deal. The only thing I wish they'd bring back is the ability to have separate tiles for different e-mail accounts.

- MMS is working for me, but I am using a T-Mobile SIM and I did the workaround to get it originally working. Seems like the settings carried over during the upgrade. Still cannot access MMS APN settings.

- SMS over T-Mobile's 3G network still not working

- I have a Fitbit and originally could not get it working. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app but still did not work. Was almost a deal breaker but then I discovered a workaround. If I go into bluetooth settings and manually tell it to connect to the Fitbit, I can then go into the app and press sync and it works.

- All of my other apps work fine and seemed to migrate over from 8.1 just fine.

- Migration of other setting seemed a bit wonky but I was able to get everything working. There are all new sounds so my ring tone didn't migrate. Instead it left me with no ring tone until I changed it to something else. Missed a call before I figured it out. My alarm went off twice this morning, with my old alarm sound simultaneously with the new sound.I also had to press dismiss twice. I deleted and readded my alarm so we'll see if that fixed it.

- The new store app is still buggy. Having issues getting apps to install from it, but the old store app is still working.

Really all of the bugs I've encountered so far are minor and the OS works pretty well. I am enjoying the all the updates and the ability to search settings. I just want to figure out the battery use issue. The battery safer has no idea what's using the battery. It is telling me the display used over 80% of the battery but that just can't be right. I have my fitbit autosync to off but I might try turning bluetooth off completely.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just read through this whole thread - was wanting to try it out on my Icon, sounds like its soooooo close. Ill wait till the next release probably, I use MMS too much to not be able to use it. Also concerned with the battery drain, and such. I use W10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, and some of the older builds were so frustrating, I am finally happy with 10136, and am looking forward to getting W10 on my Icon.

Yea, no question it's close. With the bugs, it seems much better than past versions. Very stable and for the most part everything ran pretty good.

The SMS / Picture messaging not getting ANYTHING when someone would send them to me was the deal killer, If someone figures that one out on Verizon, I would reinstall it, it was that good over all...

Now that I am back on 8.1, I miss a few features from Windows 10, namely the Email and calendar apps, as they are both WORLDS better than 8.1....

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
However, the biggest things I am missing is OneNote. I can't find it anywhere in the store and it didn't show up in my Apps list. I also can't access it through OneDrive. I'm sure it's painfully obvious where it is but any help is appreciated.

This is just odd, because I have the OneNote preview installed and working, but now I can't find it in the Store myself. I have to say, it is a huge improvement on the phone! If I could just remember how I installed it... or maybe it was in the store and has been since removed?

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This is just odd, because I have the OneNote preview installed and working, but now I can't find it in the Store myself. I have to say, it is a huge improvement on the phone! If I could just remember how I installed it... or maybe it was in the store and has been since removed?

I found it in the Beta version of the store.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I had tried an earlier build and it was unusable, I had to go back to 8.1. Yesterday I tried to download the newest version of Windows 10 and it froze my screen and made it completely unresponsive. I tried soft reset but nothing at all would work. I reverted back to 8 again but Microsoft authentication would not work for my backup and I am going to have to start from scratch again! I may try a hard reset again and try to load my backup but I am lacking in faith right now. I will definitely not be trying this again and will wait for the preview for developers release.

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Update on battery issue:

As of 12:30PM today I have 68% battery left, in comparison to yesterday where the phone was completely dead by this time. Its usage has been about the same as yesterday.

I definitely think it's an app or some system process that's hanging and eating up the battery. The phone gets hot so it must be using 100% CPU. After I charged it yesterday it was fine for most of the rest of the day but by 7PM it started getting hot again and the battery started draining fast. This time I powered off and back on again and the phone cooled off.

So it appears that a reboot fixes the issue, at least temporarily. Wish I could figure out what's causing it.

LiquidLearner

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After a couple days and deciding I was okay with MMS not working as I can share stuff using OneDrive instead for now, SMS has stopped working altogether. My troubleshooting has gone like this...

- Tried fixing MMS, hard reset phone. Couldn't stop old texts from restoring so MMS stayed broken
- Yesterday morning I tried sending a normal text and phone crashed
- After the crash I tried sending a text again and plain SMS failed with a really odd popup error.
- Eventually error went away but no one was responding. It would randomly send numerous copies of text messages and I'd very rarely receive one.
- Hard reset again with the intention of not setting up my MS account and testing first without any config
- Hard reset got stuck in a setup loop and would never boot
- Fought like hell with the phone to get it to restore to Windows 8.1
- Got it restored, text messaging worked
- Disabled SMS backup/restore on Windows 8.1
- Upgraded to Windows 10 10149 again (I'm stubborn)
- Some random issues so I hard reset again
- Booted without adding MS account, was able to send a couple texts
- Added MS account, texts not working again.
- Rebooting the phone causes it to send 4 copies of any texts that weren't sent to the user
- Incoming texts almost never show up, and when they do I'm not sure why
- MMS still not working, I suppose that's a given at this point.

Well, I'm done troubleshooting this build. I can live without MMS, even if it kind of sucks. SMS is too critical though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro