Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Been running W10M for awhile now and upgraded to build 10536 yesterday. Everything was working fine other then battery life got worse. Decided to do a clean install this morning since I had some time. Now I am going to have to revert back to 8.1. I had no messages app after the install. And after the first set of app updates my screen is now unresponsive.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Been running W10M for awhile now and upgraded to build 10536 yesterday. Everything was working fine other then battery life got worse. Decided to do a clean install this morning since I had some time. Now I am going to have to revert back to 8.1. I had no messages app after the install. And after the first set of app updates my screen is now unresponsive.

Messaging Skype beta for Windows 10 Mobile updated with stability improvements (Updated) | Windows Central

Open that link on your phone and select to download the app, and you'll get the Messaging back (it is integrated with Skype beta). I and many others have had the same issue. Supposedly it's fixed now (was a server issue): https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/644038874365329408

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks MikeSo. My screen just became responsive, again. Not sure what I did to fix it, but already downloading messaging app and the Messaging Skype app.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
let me know about your battery. Mine is doing very bad after the update.

The battery life is horrible and every so often the screen goes dead on me till I soft reset a handful of times. But I just realized that I am on the wrong version software. It updated me to 10.0.10536.1000 and I never received anything after about 10.0.10536.1004. I am hoping that is the cause of my troubles. Trying to get the additional update now and hoping everything will correct itself. Should have checked the software version first thing this morning. Assumed all the updates went through.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Day one of running on the correct build version. And right now battery life has never been this bad. Took my phone off the charger at about 8am, a couple hours later and I am at 56% battery life. And that is with the phone sitting in my pocket and minimal use. Just unacceptable at this point.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
battery is not so bad for me now. only thing that doesn't work is hey-cortana (but that never functioned very well on 8.1, so no great loss). think I'm sticking with 10

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
To edit Cortana settings, press the Search button (or launch the app) hit the burger in the upper left.

Select Notebook, from there settings. TAP IT ONCE, it take s a while to load, but then you can set the settings to use above lockscreen. Still doesn't work with the screen off though.

For those with battery issues do the following:

Turn on Battery Saver, by default it will block all chatter. Go into Battery Saver from All Settings > System > Battery Saver
Tap on Battery Saver Settings at the bottom
Tap Add an App, add apps one at a time to find out which one drains your phone, uninstall and re-install said app.

Additionally there is a lot of syncing going on. You might want to turn off OneDrive uploads, and theme syncing for the time being. Adjust your sync schedule in the outlook app for you e-mails. One other thing is to check the feedback/diagnostic sending. It could be sending a bunch of telementry data back to MS for diag (this is why resetting after upgrading is bad, it all gets lost..... unless your phone is like really bricked)

Finally go to store and update all the apps possible. I have battery drain but its a work phone so there is a crap ton of stuff I do on it daily. It is however enough to notice, according to Battery Saver 89% of usage is in my screen.... I think turning off auto brightness might help as well but haven't confirmed it.

Side Note: My MS Surface Arc BT mouse works like a charm, however I learned that the soft navigation keys are necessary, there is no way to go back or home or search without them. The capacitive keys are not accessible via the mouse....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I cant say how the Band will work but, on my Pebble, with the Pebble notifications App, the newest build is WORLDS better than 512 was.... there was times on 512, I would hear my phone go off but, never see a notification for it. On the newest build so far 100% of the time I have heard my phone notification go off, I can look at my watch and see what it was about...

and isn't that what it is all about ? (having a smart watch)

Aa far as I know, "Hey, Cortana" has not been turned on yet in Windows 10 Mobile.

Where is the settings for it ? If you go into "Background apps" (Settings>Privacy>background apps) It's listed there as a background app but, I cant figure out where the settings are for it.... I looked in it's notebook, and in settings, I don't see it anywhere...

I even tried Cortana "Please open Hey Cortana" and it she/it just opens a random app, If I try it 3 times, I she/it will open a different app each time...

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Where is the settings for it ? If you go into "Background apps" (Settings>Privacy>background apps) It's listed there as a background app but, I cant figure out where the settings are for it.... I looked in it's notebook, and in settings, I don't see it anywhere...

I even tried Cortana "Please open Hey Cortana" and it she/it just opens a random app, If I try it 3 times, I she/it will open a different app each time...

There is no setting that I am aware of for the "Hey, Cortana" feature in W10M. It has not been made available in any of the preview builds. I am fairly certain that early on, it was announced that it would come, but not available yet.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The very latest build...battery life is still miserable for me, even with turning off a lot of things...Bluetooth in the car (for reading texts) is still iffy...the build in reader usually beats Cortana to the punch except on group messages, where Cortana wins every time...I can't say I'd go back to 8.1 until this is fixed because I really like a lot of Windows 10 on the phone...a lot...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If someone could also share its performance with the Microsoft band, it would be greatly appreciated. Prior builds just didnt get my textx msgs to my band all that reliably.

The Band performance is still wonky. Cortana doesn't work via the Band...I usually get my notifications on my band but they tend to duplicate when I leave my phone and then come back to it...Bluetooth will just "stop" now and then I either need to reboot phone or Band or both.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Day one of running on the correct build version. And right now battery life has never been this bad. Took my phone off the charger at about 8am, a couple hours later and I am at 56% battery life. And that is with the phone sitting in my pocket and minimal use. Just unacceptable at this point.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you...battery life on the ICON with just so bad on Windows 10. Yet I struggle to go back to 8.1 because I like Outlook, I like the new Office apps, I like the settings, notifications, new Skype Messaging, Groove Music...so hard to go back...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo