Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So I once-upon-a-time had an Icon - today I picked one up again for a second try.. I've read through the thread but I've been away for a while. Could someone give me a quick TL;DR? I'd like to do the preview/insider for W10 when it gets here, but what do I need to know for dos and Don'ts? Thanks!

I did the same a couple of weeks ago. When you first sign in to WP8.1 skip the restore. It'll make the W10M upgrade faster. I skipped the MS sign-in altogether until the phone was fully booted. Then added my MS account and installed the Insider app and started the upgrade process. Once W10M was installed I did a factory reset (again, no restore) and was off and running.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
After playing with the 950XL at the MS Store, I decided to take the plunge to 10. Wi-Fi won't work. Doing a factory reset now - hopefully this is solve my issue.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So the factory reset was the key - everything works fairly smoothly. I've only been using it for a day, but I'm impressed. We'll see how day to day works out and I'll likely have to tweak things to my liking. If this remains stable, I couldn't care less if Verizon offers an official version.

FYI - I jumped on the slow ring (serves me well on my laptop), version 10166. Any benefit to move to the fast ring?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So the factory reset was the key - everything works fairly smoothly. I've only been using it for a day, but I'm impressed. We'll see how day to day works out and I'll likely have to tweak things to my liking. If this remains stable, I couldn't care less if Verizon offers an official version.

FYI - I jumped on the slow ring (serves me well on my laptop), version 10166. Any benefit to move to the fast ring?

I am on the last Fast Ring Build and it just KILLS my battery...I've tried every trip and trick out there and just over time the battery life gets worse and then random reboots from time to time...fingers crossed for this build this week to be good otherwise, I just have to go back to 8.1 just to have a workable phone...But I'll miss A LOT from Windows 10 for sure...Groove, Outlook, Settings, and the little improvements...

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I reverted back to 8.1. The battery issues, WIFI and some other thing pretty much made it unusable for everyday use. I'll wait for the official rollout. But being on Verizon that pretty much means I'll never see it. I do like a lot of the new features in WM10. It really is a big step up from 8.1.

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
So... I'll ask the question...

Has anyone tried 10549?

If so, is it worth going to if I am still on 8.1 and have not done any insider builds yet?

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So twice now my touch screen as stopped responding when someone called me - couldn't answer! I'm not sure I can live with that bug. Otherwise, battery life is about 80% of what 8.1 was, although I didn't turn off too many apps from running in the background. I'll give it a another day or so before I decide to revert to 8.1, or maybe go on the fast ring and try the latest.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I reverted back to 8.1. The battery issues, WIFI and some other thing pretty much made it unusable for everyday use. I'll wait for the official rollout. But being on Verizon that pretty much means I'll never see it. I do like a lot of the new features in WM10. It really is a big step up from 8.1.

I'm having issues rolling back to 8.1. Tried using the Nokia Software Recovery tool but it says my device is not supported and I need to use the Windows 10 device recovery tool. However when use that, it says that I have the latest software available. Am I missing something?

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
It is normal to say it has the latest version in the device recovery tool. Just click reset software or whatever the button says and it will download and install 8.1 again. Just did it myself to install new build.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having issues rolling back to 8.1. Tried using the Nokia Software Recovery tool but it says my device is not supported and I need to use the Windows 10 device recovery tool. However when use that, it says that I have the latest software available. Am I missing something?

Don't use the Nokia recovery tool - that's for non-Windows Nokia phones. Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=525569

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
And I'm back to 8.1. The slow ring's version was too buggy. I'll wait until the next slow ring version is released.

On another note - wow restoring to 8.1 was FAST! My internet speed helped a lot, but flashing the 1.6Gb file was really quick!

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So... I'll ask the question...

Has anyone tried 10549?

If so, is it worth going to if I am still on 8.1 and have not done any insider builds yet?

I'm liking it so far. My favorite feature is Settings>System>Display>Size of text, apps, and items. I've gone with the middle setting which gives extra tiles on the start screen and smaller fonts, which I prefer.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After seeing how much faster and more stable the 10549 build was on my Lumia 635, I decided to go ahead and put it on my main device too, which is the Lumia Icon. I did a full hard reset after installing.
So far I'm happy, but I've not used out that much yet. It runs just as fast as 8.1, if not faster actually (just like on the 635). It still has several smaller bugs and some more major (like I can't install any non English keyboard dictionary), but no deal breaker so far. By far the best and most stable build so far, way faster than 10536.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
After seeing how much faster and more stable the 10549 build was on my Lumia 635, I decided to go ahead and put it on my main device too, which is the Lumia Icon. I did a full hard reset after installing.
So far I'm happy, but I've not used out that much yet. It runs just as fast as 8.1, if not faster actually (just like on the 635). It still has several smaller bugs and some more major (like I can't install any non English keyboard dictionary), but no deal breaker so far. By far the best and most stable build so far, way faster than 10536.

You need to reinstall the insider app and sign up again to fast ring, then you can download the keyboard, I did it already

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
See how it is in the next 12-36 hours...once mine settled, it was half-way decent last night...of course, using the phone for a solid hour can almost drain it...

Mine mostly sat in my pocket and felt warm. Barely any use and it was almost dead after 12 hours. :( at one point l issuing 10% an hour

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo