Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Updated to .71 yesterday afternoon. Battery seems to drain much more rapidly with this build. Bluetooth sync to my car is still hit or miss. At first it worked the first few times without fiddling, but now it's back to not working. Will try yet another hard reset tonight.

Admittedly, this is getting old...

Noticed this too....battery is draining...

Reaper5401

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the insider program (Fast Ring) for the last couple of months, since I am sure that when Windows 10 Mobile is released Verizon will not push the update for another couple of months at the earliest.

Since I started using the Win 10 Mobile on my Icon,the updates for me have progressively improved the operation of the phone. Currently release.71 has been good, my apps do not crash but I do have an occasional loss of LTE data which forces a restart. Most of the time the reset works, but once in awhile the screen locks up and I have to do a hard reset. I feel it Win 10 Mobile needs a little more polish but is a big improvement from the earlier releases. My battery life is not a whole lot different from when I had Win 8.1 on my Icon.

My only other dilemma is deciding if I should get a 950 right now I do not feel I am getting a big improvement, all I lose is not having continuum and a higher resolution display.

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the insider program (Fast Ring) for the last couple of months, since I am sure that when Windows 10 Mobile is released Verizon will not push the update for another couple of months at the earliest.

Since I started using the Win 10 Mobile on my Icon,the updates for me have progressively improved the operation of the phone. Currently release.71 has been good, my apps do not crash but I do have an occasional loss of LTE data which forces a restart. Most of the time the reset works, but once in awhile the screen locks up and I have to do a hard reset. I feel it Win 10 Mobile needs a little more polish but is a big improvement from the earlier releases. My battery life is not a whole lot different from when I had Win 8.1 on my Icon.

My only other dilemma is deciding if I should get a 950 right now I do not feel I am getting a big improvement, all I lose is not having continuum and a higher resolution display.

I agree. Have been using WM10 on my Icon for some time. The last few builds have been getting better and better. The .71 build has been great for me and my battery life has FINALLY stabilized since moving up from 8.1. Excited to see WM10 progress.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I personally haven't noticed a change, for better or worse, since .71. The Icon's battery is still miserably bad. Pretty much just as bad as it was on WP8.1.

Always thought 8.1's battery life was good, it was possible with very little use to get it to go for 2 days. On a moderate use day, I would still have 40-60% left by the time I hit bed.

On 10, this is with moderate use, by 6pm, my battery is beeping 10% (4-5 hours before I normally go to bed).

I have been tempted to go back to 8.1 because of this but, 8,1 looks like old school compared to 10....Just cant do it right now.

I agree. Have been using WM10 on my Icon for some time. The last few builds have been getting better and better. The .71 build has been great for me and my battery life has FINALLY stabilized since moving up from 8.1. Excited to see WM10 progress.

A step up in battery life from the past build no question but, not even close to how 8.1 was for me. I guess the ICON will need a firmware but, till we get the official version, we will have to deal with this.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

Been on insider since first build available for the icon and I will confirm that .71 is light years ahead from that point. The battery really sucked back then. I can get a full day from .71 which works fine for me and also .71 is the first build I can leave it off the charger overnight then look at the screen in the morning and the battery icon has barley moved. Sometimes I lose LTE like you but every phone I have owned be it windows or android does that sometimes. I also get the froze screen sometimes when restarting but it's not near as bad as four builds ago.

I do not have a pressing need for upgrading to a 950 and the only reason I'd do it is for the new camera but alas no 950 on Verizon in sight. I cracked the screen on mine 3 months ago so Ms missed that money.. Being as the parts / labor are more expensive to replace the screen than buying a used icon off eBay, I'll just get a used phone and continue with the icon as it does really well on 10 and will only get better with new firmware that supports 10.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I ended up rolling back to 8.1 yesterday. Pretty painless process, especially after having performed so many hard resets on 10. And now the bluetooth sync works perfectly again in my car and quiet hours are now automatically enabled during my calendar busy times. Those were really the only two items that made 10 miserable for me, aside from the occasional non-responsive screen after rebooting. Battery is still just ok. I keep my phone on chargers throughout the day anyway, so battery drain was inconsequential either way.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have 8.1 on my L830 (daily driver) and W10 on my L920 (beta testing), I had it the other way around b4, but 8.1 seems more reliable than W10.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I have 8.1 on my L830 (daily driver) and W10 on my L920 (beta testing), I had it the other way around b4, but 8.1 seems more reliable than W10.

In what way actually? I'm not being sarcastic but genuine curious. Example I guess froyo, well 2.2 android, was the most aggravating upgrade I ever used. To boot there was no way to roll back.. Interested in hearing your issues..

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
In what way actually? I'm not being sarcastic but genuine curious. Example I guess froyo, well 2.2 android, was the most aggravating upgrade I ever used. To boot there was no way to roll back.. Interested in hearing your issues..
W10 has a lot of crashes and some apps aren't compatible. I'd rather wait on the finished/polished W10 release, rather than a beta version...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Wp8.1 is more stable in many ways that Windows 10 Mobile right now. Basic apps crash, battery drains, random restarts happen, etc.

W10 has a lot of crashes and some apps aren't compatible. I'd rather wait on the finished/polished W10 release, rather than a beta version...

There won't be a finished/polished Windows 10 Mobile release for the Lumia Icon. If you mean you're waiting for future builds, that's one thing. But what you see on the fast track for insiders is as good as you'll get for the Icon.

Eurx

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
It's works really amazing now in the build 10586.71 compared to preview build. Fixed many performance, resuming and crash problems. So if you leaved insider program I highly recommend you to try it again on Lumia icon. Sure there still a few problems but I believe they gonna repair everything just looking to state of affairs.

nokiabolt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I had to put my mom's Icon back to 8.1 when she was having issues way back with 10586.11 with touchscreen not responding/not charging correctly, and also tethering timing out after about five minutes.
10586.71 has been solid for my main phone (735), and my other phones, I just don't have a second Icon to check..
I just want to know if the tethering timing out is good, and touchscreen responsiveness..

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had to put my mom's Icon back to 8.1 when she was having issues way back with 10586.11 with touchscreen not responding/not charging correctly, and also tethering timing out after about five minutes.
10586.71 has been solid for my main phone (735), and my other phones, I just don't have a second Icon to check..
I just want to know if the tethering timing out is good, and touchscreen responsiveness..

Tethering has worked fine for me the last couple builds. This one worked well too.

I was having issues with touch screen responsiveness on the last build, but that was fixed on this build. Haven't even had any random restarts or lock ups on this build.

nokiabolt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay cool, thank you so much! I'll probably put her on .71 but keep her on the slow ring. One more question, should I hard reset after, or just see how things go first after doing in place update?

dazorange

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried out the new preview ring. I'm tempted feeling as this is probably as close as we'll get to an actual release on Verizon. At least for a while.

archigos

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've been trying since yesterday to use the Technical Preview ring. It enrolled just fine and even downloaded the update but it keeps throwing an error (801882c2).

UPDATE: I switched to the Insider Slow ring and it is installing the update with no problems.

Last edited:

dazorange

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying since yesterday to use the Technical Preview ring. It enrolled just fine and even downloaded the update but it keeps throwing an error (801882c2).

UPDATE: I switched to the Insider Slow ring and it is installing the update with no problems.

I kept getting the same error. The idea was that I didn't want to do the slow ring since the Icon is my only device. I thought that the technical preview was basically the finished product only without the provider approval. Kind of like developer preview was for 8.1.

I'd love to hear about your experience with the slow ring version. How solid is it, and do you feel it's fit for everyday use?

archigos

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I kept getting the same error. The idea was that I didn't want to do the slow ring since the Icon is my only device. I thought that the technical preview was basically the finished product only without the provider approval. Kind of like developer preview was for 8.1.

I'd love to hear about your experience with the slow ring version. How solid is it, and do you feel it's fit for everyday use?

So interesting development. After installing the Insider Slow ring update, I updated all of the apps, configured things, etc. Everything seemed to run smoothly and I didn't have any issues. This morning I got another notification of an update and it was for the Technical Preview. It installed the TP so I went into the Windows Insider app and switched to the Technical Preview ring. I'll update this with any new observations. But, it seems that going to Insider Slow ring will eventually yield the ability to go to the Technical Preview. Hope this helps.

UPDATE: After switching to the TP ring there are no new updates. The Icon seems to be running smooth now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99